• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Ebay, Gumtree & Autotrader Vehicle / Car Scams

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ebay & Gumtree Vehicle Scam. Barclays provide Fraudsters Accounts

Originally posted by Rod Jones View Post
    Sort code: 204491
    Unfortunately I can't trace the bank associated with sort code 20-44-91 but the same code also appears in this scam report.
    Have you tried Googling it?

It may no longer exist, having been used by a Nigerian "gent" (PDF link)

Comment

Same account turns up here.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod Jones View Post
        Same account turns up here.
        As the fraudster has such a poor knowledge of Scotland, why not pretend to wire him the money by Western Union to the Post Office on the island of Toddaigh or Tátúcac (WDNE) ? msl:

Comment

I have come to the conclusion that the crooks in this country are the ****ing banks who are a law to themselves, I would love someone to do damage to Barclays bank, even the serious fraud police have looked into them, and crooks are well known to be holding our money, and if I hear some stupid ****er at the bank say, date protection I will put his face right through the computer screen, what a joke in 2013 the banking laws protect the criminals who have our money and there is **** all we can do about, it makes me so angry I lost more than most, but its the protection these ***** get what annoys me, its about time we took action like fathers for justice, and blocked Barclays h.q from going about there normal business, RANT OVER

Comment

I have just stumbled across this forum and in particular this thread, I haven't got the time to read every post over the past 6 months but it's clear that I have a lot in common with the topic under debate. Basically I spend a huge amount of time busting scams on eBay, over the past 61 days I ( or like-minded friends) have shut down 645 scam listings - mainly for tractors and diggers/excavators but often for cars too. That's about 25 per day, and the scammers - who may be in Romania, Bosnia, Ghana or somewhere else altogether - have increased their activity by about 600% since mid-April to attempt to counter the effects of these 'busts'. I'm pretty sure that I have hurt their revenue stream in that period; in fact I can be reasonably sure of this because one of the gangs has made contact with me, by phone, text and email. They even offered me a job (gamekeeper turned poacher etc)

Among other avenues I am interested in pursuing, one is to prove in a court of law that eBay are systematically in breach of The Fraud Act 2006. Others include targeting banks - yes, mainly Barclays - for their provision of bank accounts for criminals, accounts that are used simply to wire stolen money out of the country. It's clear that next to no progress has been made over the past decade or more, and fraudsters can hijack people's eBay accounts with impunity. I find it unacceptable that such crimes can be committed right in front of my eyes every day of the week and NO law enforcement body seems even interested in trying to stop it.

One of the said avenues I mentioned would involve getting together as many victims of 'off eBay' fraud as possible - the type of financial loss that eBay always turn a blind eye to because the victims 'did not comply with eBay rules'. I believe, or at least hope, that with some form of 'mass' to any legal pursuit, it might attract the interest of the media in some refreshing way, and in turn the interest of a firm of lawyers with the ability and capacity to take these huge corporations (eBay and Barclays) to task in a class-action lawsuit. I am no lawyer, but I have seen some relevant sections of The Fraud Act 2006 and it seems perfectly unambiguous in its wording that eBay are in breach of law.

Please see my Facebook page which is 100% dedicated to busting scams on eBay (and sometimes AutoTrader).

https://www.facebook.com/oneeyed.jack.1291

Thank you

Comment

Nice to see I haven't been alone in dedicating a lot of time to being a pain in the a*** for these scumbags. I've added a link to your Facebook page at the top of my blog and also added a few of the scammers' email addresses to the list on that page. Due to the way Google indexes Blogspot pages the list appears against every single blog post, so anyone Googling their email addresses should smell a rat straight away, plus the addresses are VERY spambot-friendly

I did message you on Facebook but it'll have been stuffed in your "other" folder out of the way.

Comment

i know how to catch the scammers, for REAL, contact me by PM

Comment

If that's the case you need to get in touch with Action Fraud or your local police and tell them what you know.

Comment

I have lost £7000 through an almost identical scam, again my hard earned money gone into a Barclay account. GBSolway.

Comment

Account no. 33752747 sort code. 20-96- 55 Barclays Bank, Scrubbs Lane, Leicester,LE87 2BB, Tel 08457555555 They will not take or give any information. "Data protection ?" More like "fraudster or scammer protection"
                      Last edited by gbsolway; 28th June 2013, 00:35:AM.

Comment

Scrubbs Lane is yet another London branch, this time in NW10 (ALL Barclays branches come back with the Leicester postcode when you search).

Comment

Originally posted by stevelaw1234 View Post
                          I have come to the conclusion that the crooks in this country are the ****ing banks who are a law to themselves, I would love someone to do damage to Barclays bank, even the serious fraud police have looked into them, and crooks are well known to be holding our money, and if I hear some stupid ****er at the bank say, date protection I will put his face right through the computer screen, what a joke in 2013 the banking laws protect the criminals who have our money and there is **** all we can do about, it makes me so angry I lost more than most, but its the protection these ***** get what annoys me, its about time we took action like fathers for justice, and blocked Barclays h.q from going about there normal business, RANT OVER

QUOTE=dynoreal;346453]I to have been done with Mike Preston for a purchase of an BMW X5 good condition a good price £4800.00 !!! I have been in touch with the police have all the crime number, the officer which was lookin at this for me, was ex - London based so new some officers from the area again London, they said at 1st that they had CCTVof the person/persons taking the money out of the account the other side??? but couldnt do anything unless they gave their permission to be seen?? And by the time this was put aside Barclays said that the CCTV had been destroyed as they only keep it for so long so no luck there they said same to me and the police (Barclays that is) that they dont see it as there problem as I willingly put money into someone account!!!!
                          I have had an old police mate of mine suggest something I will let you know how I get on and how to word some letters etc, and steps to take along the way?

But I am happy to join up in forces to beat the Fraudsters and Barclays for being so S*@T and just ignoring the problem at hand.

I will try anything to help others not getting done, as at the time it made me feel so bad and silly, and thinking of the money and no Car to Show!!![/QUOTE]

When can CCTV images be disclosed?

(*If a member of the public asks for disclosure)

You have the right to see CCTV images of you and to ask for a copy of them. The organisation must provide them within 40 calendar days of your request, and you may be asked to pay a fee of up to £10 (this is the maximum charge, set by Parliament). This is called a Subject Access Request. You will need to provide details to help the operator to establish your identity as the person in the pictures, and to help them find the images on their system.
                          • CCTV operators are not allowed to disclose images of identifiable people to the media - or to put them on the internet - for entertainment. Images released to the media to help identify a person are usually disclosed by the police.
                          • An organisation may need to disclose CCTV images for legal reasons - for example, crime detection. Once they have given the images to another organisation, then that organisation must adhere to the Data Protection Act in their handling of the images.
                          • Public authorities are subject to the Freedom of Information Act 2000, or the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2000. This Act allows members of the public to request official information by writing to the public authority, who must respond within 20 working days. If the images are those of the person making the request, then the request would be handled under the Data Protection Act as a Subject Access Request. If, however, other people are identifiable in the CCTV pictures, then the images would be considered personal information and it is likely they would be exempt from the Freedom of Information Act.

(*However)

• An organisation may need to disclose CCTV images for legal reasons - for example, crime detection. Once they have given the images to another organisation, then that organisation must adhere to the Data Protection Act in their handling of the images.

How long can an organisation retain CCTV images?

Organisations should have a retention policy. They should only keep the images for as long as necessary to meet the purpose of recording them.

http://www.ico.org.uk/for_the_public...ic_guides/cctv

(** My words inserted)

You may be able to make use of the following guide.

In particular, page 171 - Legal Advice & Proceedings.

https://www.ico.org.uk/Global/~/medi...ROTECTION.ashx

Good luck!
                          Last edited by charitynjw; 28th June 2013, 04:36:AM.
                          CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                          Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                          gets his brain a-going.
                          Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                          The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

All the time people who think they are getting something on the cheap (willingly paying the money)the fraudsters will win>would those who get caught by the scammers tell a stranger their pin number so they can clear out their accounts?If anyone is silly enough to part with cash before seeing the goods or vehicles more fool them,while i feel sorry for those caught out who can they blame other than themselves

Comment

They can blame eBay and Gumtree for making it so easy to place classified ads with no background check.
                              They can blame Barclays for having anti-fraud measures that are a total joke.

Kicking them while their down is hardly constructive. They've already been played for fools, they don't need their noses rubbed in it.

Comment

The reason most get caught is they think they are getting something on the cheap ,putting the blame on ebay or guntree they have millions of items on sale does anyone expect them to go and check everthing before its sold,as for the banks i would say that once a few complaints have been made concerning an account have been made they should act but as the banks say the people WILLINGLY pay the money in no one puts a gun to their heads?
                                Scammers profit because of the greed of some who are always looking fo something on the cheap,as for being played for fools whoes fault is that ?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X