• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Ebay, Gumtree & Autotrader Vehicle / Car Scams

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ebay & Gumtree Vehicle Scam. Barclays provide Fraudsters Accounts

Originally posted by alibee57 View Post
    Hi just looked up BBC iplayer the 15th May episode not up yet. Where do you send your details to ? Thanks.
    Log onto BBC The One Show-Send your stories. It will bring up a form for you to complete

Comment

I am aware that there is an ongoing investigation into Barclays by the Serious Fraud Office. Find out if the Metropolitan Police have passed any details of your case to the SFO as there may be a case to answer under Anti-Money Laundering Regulations.
      Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Ive just sent the one show my story and would advise everyone else to do the same, we need as much publicity on this as we can get! Barclays need to start taking responsibility for their negligence. Just type bbc one show into google click on the link and click on the tab send your stories. It only takes a few minutes to fill in the simple form and hopefully someone will start listening.

Comment

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
          I am aware that there is an ongoing investigation into Barclays by the Serious Fraud Office. Find out if the Metropolitan Police have passed any details of your case to the SFO as there may be a case to answer under Anti-Money Laundering Regulations.
          We have reported this to Action Fraud who in my opinion are a waste of time. The local detective at Stafford police in Financial Fraud promised to get back to us about 6 weeks ago and what a surprise he has not done so. I don't even know if The Metropolitan police will have any details. Does anyone have a contact telephone number or email. Have checked their website and can not trace a number for them, thanks.

Comment

I had a call from Police Scotland today saying they had heard from Barclays today asking to verify the account details again Grrrrrr how many times do they need verified. Anyway Police double checked with me that they were correct and said they would get back to Barclays. Amazingly Barclays got back in touch with the Police this afternoon and clarified the Account is in a London Branch but could not tell me anymore just now as the Metropolitan Police have Jurisdiction over this now as the Account is in England and the Met will be dealing with it and will give me a call about things and a give me crime ref number. Will fill in form on BBC One show too.

Comment

Originally posted by puddle55 View Post
              The local defective at Stafford police in Financial Fraud promised to get back to us about 6 weeks ago and ... he has not done
              I've fixed your post for you. :rofl:

Comment

Here's another one. Seller wanted to use an online escrow service, Watson-Worldwide (http://www.watson-worldwide.com&lang...ang=en&lang=en).

Scammer address: Jasmine Haynes <jasminehayneyashaki@outlook.com>
                Fake escrow address: Watson Department <Watson-trans-worldwide@consultant.com>

Account name: Watson
                Sort code: 20-89-15 (Barclays Upton Park 3)
                Account no: 73792684
                IBAN: GB86 BARC 2089 1573 7926 84

I guess the scammers won't be getting their £5,100 after all

Comment

• Re: Ebay &amp; Gumtree Vehicle Scam. Barclays provide Fraudsters Accounts

Dad scammed for £6000 2 weeks ago through ebay. Barclays, police and action fraud doing nothing will send story to one show. Scammer Account details as follows:
                  acc name A Pavarini
                  sort code 20-98-21 Barclays Wood Green
                  account no 13323617
                  Last edited by Paula h; 23rd May 2013, 20:28:PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paula h View Post
                    Dad scammed for £6000 2 weeks ago through ebay. Barclays, police and action fraud doing nothing will send story to one show. Scammer Account details as follows:
                    acc name A Pavarini
                    sort code 20-98-21
                    account no 13323617
                    20-98-21 is Barclays Wood Green.

Comment

Can anyone tell me what happens if Barclay's fail to reply to the Financial Ombudsman. We understand that the Ombudsman has sent several letters and they have not responded at all.

Comment

Just thought i'd offer my experience.

Saw a 1998 Land Rover Defender 110 for £2600 on Gumtree which is a very very good price. pictures show the vehicle as immaculate and based in Bradford.

I made contact through Gumtree and had a reply from a fella called John Finlay saying he was going through a divorce and was working on an oil rig offshore from Inverness.

Yes you guessed it.....the vehicle is situated in Inverness.

So here we go, money transfer via ebay, vehicle delivered at his expense (£100) to my home for three days and if i wasn't happy with the vehicle then he'd ship it back to Inverness at his expense.

Here is the transcript of the last e.mail I have received:
                        I'm working in the North Sea oil fields (no phone signal here) so pick up is not possible but I can have the Land Rover delivered to you by a shipping company for £100. It has mot and tax until October.
                        I have briefly described eBay transaction's steps below:
                        1. Buyer, Seller reach an agreement (price and delivery conditions)
                        2. Buyer sends the money to eBay and they inform the seller that the payment was received.
                        3. Seller delivers the vehicle.
                        4. Buyer accepts delivery and informs eBay about the acceptance.
                        5. eBay releases the money to seller.

As you can see, you'll receive the vehicle BEFORE any money is released to me. You'll get the chance to inspect it, test it and everything you like while your money is safely held in eBay's account. ONLY after you confirm with eBay that you agree to keep it, they'll release the money to me.

If for some reason, you won't keep it (I assure you that it is NOT going to happen since my vehicle is in IMMACULATE condition) I will take it back on MY EXPENSE and eBay will refund your money back.

From the moment you receive it, you will have 3 days to inspect it. If it's not like I said or something is not ok with it you can reject it and eBay will fully refund you and the vehicle will be delivered back to me on my expense.

In order to go ahead i need your full name & address for delivery. Once the transaction is registered eBay will send you all the info regarding payment and shipping.

Thank you,
                        John Finlay

------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd love to carry this on and scam the guy and maybe take some of his money (Of course not as that's fraud too)

So sorry to hear of others experiences with this type of fraud.

Comment

I had not heard of this scam -and think it is pretty disgusting that they would not be getting away with it with out Barclays opening the accounts , obviously without proper checks on I.D , in other words fraudulent accounts. And then Barclays not acting to prevent the problem happening again. I am just shocked.
                          "What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

"Always reach for the moon, if you miss you'll end up among the stars"

Comment

• Re: Barclays and vehicle scam via ebay and gumtree

Originally posted by Wonders View Post
                            I fell victim to the same scam. I reported it to Barclays on the 7th December and have received a 'final response' telling me they've investigated the matter fully and I need to take it to the Financial Ombudsman if I wasnt further action.
                            Clearly I am not satisfied with this response as there are many of us out there who have been scammed using this Barclays account. I'm trying to compile a log of all who have been scammed by the same guy Mike Preston/Devlin. The account details are below.

Account number - 63463990
                            Sort code - 20-29-41 (Edgware Road)
                            Account holder: T Nowak

If this is the same as in your case please E-mail me: vickiwonders@hotmail.com and let me know when you reported this to Barclays as I intend to pursue this for as long as it takes, but the more evidence we have of negligence by Barclays the stronger our case will be.

Yours hopefully

I to have been done with Mike Preston for a purchase of an BMW X5 good condition a good price £4800.00 !!! I have been in touch with the police have all the crime number, the officer which was lookin at this for me, was ex - London based so new some officers from the area again London, they said at 1st that they had CCTVof the person/persons taking the money out of the account the other side??? but couldnt do anything unless they gave their permission to be seen?? And by the time this was put aside Barclays said that the CCTV had been destroyed as they only keep it for so long so no luck there they said same to me and the police (Barclays that is) that they dont see it as there problem as I willingly put money into someone account!!!!
                            I have had an old police mate of mine suggest something I will let you know how I get on and how to word some letters etc, and steps to take along the way?

But I am happy to join up in forces to beat the Fraudsters and Barclays for being so S*@T and just ignoring the problem at hand.

I will try anything to help others not getting done, as at the time it made me feel so bad and silly, and thinking of the money and no Car to Show!!!

Comment

Have had a response from the Financial Ombudsman. Guess what, they have come to the conclusion that Barclay's have done nothing wrong and have dismissed our claim. This bearing in mind that Barclay's never responded to any of their letters, how can this be? We have until 13th June to appeal which we intend to. Feeling really pissed off.

Comment

Here's another one, tried selling this camera lens. Unfortunately for him I won the auction

From "Dennis ." <denars.33@hotmail.com>
                                "Hi,

here are my bank details

Dennis Sears

i work with Barclays
                                Sort code: 204491
                                Account no: 63383172

let me know if you need anymore details and please send me you postage address

thanks, Dennis."

At the time he sent this email he hadn't spotted that he'd gone from being denars3 (0) to denars3 (-1)
                                I did that to fend off any second-chance offers that may be put out.

Unfortunately I can't trace the bank associated with sort code 20-44-91 but the same code also appears in this scam report.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X