• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Ebay, Gumtree & Autotrader Vehicle / Car Scams

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Barclays and vehicle scam via ebay and gumtree

I have fallen for the same scam. I feel gutted and stupid, its ruining my life.
    I informed the police and Barclays. I spoke to the local branch manager yesterday and he was
    Basically just brushing it under the carpet. I don’t hold out much hope of getting this resolved.
    I spent a bit of time on the internet browsing forums and within an hour I found maybe 15-20 instances
    Of the same scam. People had listed the scammers details, all Barclays accounts, 6 from the same branch.
    People who reported it appear to have got nowhere. I told the manager I would inform my mp, the tv the papers
    Anywhere I could post it I would.

Barclays in my opinion are being used by these fraudsters probably because they can easily open accounts
    Without being challenged. Barclays must be doing something wrong or illegal.

I am really at a loss now of what to do.

Comment

We fell victim to same scam via Gumtree. I transfered money into a Barclays account which was suppose to be a brokering account to hold the funds. Contacted Barclays less than 5 working days after (when car didnt turn up) with crime reference number & they did nothing. At that point I am sure there was money in the account as the scammer was still in contact with us and seemed to be trying to buy time. It is ridiculous, i've written to Barclays to no avail, next stop Finanicial Ombusman, what else can we do?

Comment

Hi, the same thing has just happened to my partner this week. Following bidding an email arrived from what looked like Ebay. Money was transferred to an account at Barclays Bank. Same situation: Barclays don't want to know and Ebay are not interested as neither a credit card or Paypal was used to send the money. We have reported to the police and have heard nothing.
        Have you had any luck since your post? Maybe we can join forces and try and sort this out together or with any other victims involved with this Ebay scam and money being sent to Barclays.
        I agree with you, Barclays should immediately freeze that account, but will it do that without police instruction.
        I would be very grateful if you could get back to me.
        Best regards.

Comment

Hi, I have just replied to Agerag as the same scam has just happened to my partner this week.
          i have suggested that we join forces somehow. How are you getting on? Have you had a bbreakthrough?
          I would be very grateful for any suggestions. We need to be able to compare the Barclays account details to see if all the payments went to the same person, but I'm not sure if we can do that on this forum.
          Also, I would be interested to know if the same seller was used for all the bids.
          Would be so grateful if you could get back to me.

Comment

Can we possibly all join forces to get a private investigator onto this? It seems that's the police are as good as useless and the only way we are gong to make progress is to do this ourselves.
            Please reply as soon as you can, it would be really great to hear from you. I too am determined to see this through, and am willing to do what ever it takes.
            Best regards

Comment

Hi, I have a feeling that the scammers are the same people but using different account names and different branches of Barclays. I think we should all join for forces against Barclays Bank. Someone suggested a private investigator as the police don't want to know. I would be willing to do this. Or, at least if we can all sign off on one letter to Barclays insisting that they take responsibility for these account holders.
              Would be great to hear back from you.

Comment

Originally posted by suseeq View Post
                I have a feeling that the scammers are the same people but using different account names and different branches of Barclays.
                Gosh!

Really?

Well, I never ... who would have supposed they might not use their real names?

Comment

Yes and I need to get everyone to liaise to force the Barclays CEO to look into this criminal activity as you mentioned, it could be Barclays are aiding and abetting by doing nothing and also surely they have a moral obligation to prevent criminal activity. So far I have only heard for you, so please, every one else that has commented here, please contact me. I will try to contact you all directly. Suseeq.

Comment

Hi everyone. I am glad i am not the only one that feels stupid here. My partner and i were scammed in January whilst attempting to purchase a motorhome on ebay. A large sum of money was paid into a Barclays account which we now know was opened up by using a Romanian id card and HSBC bank statement. The police have been as much use as a chocolate fire guard, ebay never respond to letters including recorded delivery, Barclays have turned down our claim. We have therefore logged a claim with the Ombudsman. We have provided them with at least 3 fraudulent accounts all opened at Barclays Leicester. Surely Barclays are not carrying out the necessary enquiries when opening these accounts as there seem to be so many.

Comment

Originally posted by suseeq View Post
                      Yes and I need to get everyone to liaise to force the Barclays CEO to look into this criminal activity as you mentioned, it could be Barclays are aiding and abetting by doing nothing and also surely they have a moral obligation to prevent criminal activity. So far I have only heard for you, so please, every one else that has commented here, please contact me. I will try to contact you all directly. Suseeq.
                      Hello Fellow scammed.
                      its been a hard few days as my wife and i have just lost £8200 when trying to buy a campervan, same deal gumtree to ebay to Barclays in Leicestershire, as i write this i am 4 hrs past the delivery time 18.3.13 between 4/6pm. I cant comment on the police the now as we had them in our house 10 min after we called them and they are dew back tomorow to officially start the case,, 'Strathclyde Police' as im in Scotland.
                      We are up for the fight on this one but funding things like private Detectives would be hard for us as this was our saveings im thinking more Financial Ombudsman and Watchdog the press etc. SUSEEQ we will contact you by mail to help this ball get rolling . thaks for now

Comment

Hello everyone I have also fell for this scam only last week I've lost alot of my hard earnt money and I feel so stupid, but looks like I'm not the only one. Exactly the same thing has happened to me with the ebay thing and I've payed into a barclays bank account. Has anyone managed to get anywhere with getting there money back? I would be happy to join up forces to get our money back.

Comment

I have also just nearly fallen for this and am annoyed that eBay have not yet removed advert. Same scenario wanted money transfer to Barclays Leicester, goods were in Scotland etc etc. I have been in to Barclays and asked if they can do anything, they must have some suspicions with the amount of money going into the account (should probably be looking at money laundering as well). I corresponded through an email address outside eBay and dealt with 2 people Denise and Christine, the account I was asked to pay into was in the name of Christine Burnea sort code 20-53-33 account number 23334678 and the guy at Barclays didn't say it wasn't a live account. If anyone has already reported to police can They post the crime number and I will get this linked

Comment

Hi All, I can sympathise with you all, I myself was scammed in February when trying to buy a digger for my husbands newly established groundworks company. Again it was a Barclays account and this one was on eBay who I have found to be most unhelpful!!! As for the police, since reporting it I have heard no more and am over £3k out of pocket. I then found the same advert under a different name on Plant Trader so I set up an alias email and pretended to buy it again, I received the emailed invoice this time from auto trader, or so it would seem, I reported it to the police and the bank fraud dept again etc as it was quoting yet another Barclays account and yet again no one has done anything....... Having read all these threads, this is not looking good for Barclays! WHY ARE THEY NOT DOING ANYTHING???? I'm all up for a personal visit to Barclays CEO cos something has to be done, these w*****s are still getting away with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Blondie74 View Post
                              I myself was scammed in February when trying to buy a digger for my husbands newly established groundworks company.
                              Was it his birthday?

Having read all these threads, this is not looking good for Barclays! WHY ARE THEY NOT DOING ANYTHING???? I'm all up for a personal visit to Barclays CEO cos something has to be done, these w*****s are still getting away with it.
                              One must surely wonder how they verify the identities of their customers and generally comply with the regulations against money laundering.

Comment

My other half has also been scammed just last week. £2k out of pocket for a workshop machine. Seller claims to be in the highlands, Barclays Bank account, even spoke on the phone!!! Sounded foreign, Norwegian perhaps, I have found several eBay user names which I am 99.9% certain are him. Always seems to give addresses in Scotland that are close to B&B's, even on the same street! I have now set up an alias myself and am in the process of 'buying' an other item from him and am in daily contact with him over email. Am totally up for getting all our heads together and finding the lowlife scumbags I am like a dog with a bone at the moment! Other half feels VERY foolish, thought he'd done all the checks he needed to, but the one he didn't do was check the guys eBay feedback...notice all the user names have 0 feedback and have only just recently been a registered user. If the photo on the listing has been taken outside try getting the sellers postcode and check google maps street view, that way you can check to see if the surroundings are matching/similar. something to look out for in the future folks! There is also a blog on the web called www.ebayscamhunter.blogspot.co.uk which lists the user names of which have been used for scams. Lists the items, email addresses & phone numbers. The user and machine we bought are both listed on there, unfortunately after we'd parted with our cash.
                                like I say, I'm totally up for getting a few of our heads together to catch them, bombard Barclays, and ultimately stop them scamming others.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X