• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Ebay, Gumtree & Autotrader Vehicle / Car Scams

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ebay, Gumtree & Autotrader Vehicle / Car Scams

Last night I picked up a dealer account hack on Autotrader UK at about 3.00 am. I think my activities have driven the hackers to working later and later at night to try and avoid my attention, but I am quite flexible, and extremely irritating to scammers. The good thing about catching them at that time of night is that they pose little risk to consumers and I can list all the photo sets they're using, making them available to Google searches.

Tonight I picked up my first dealer hack at 12.45 am and to my surprise, but with no little admiration, AT UK picked it up and squidged it before I had managed to research and post it up.

Comment

Good to see Auto Trader are taking a pro active approach for a change.
      Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Depressingly Autotrader UK have gone back to their old ways.

https://www.scamwarners.com/forum/vi...p?f=6&t=102412

I can't really provide more evidence but, in spite of this, Autotrader UK have ignored my numerous reports.

If they ignore reports I'll just post up the scam ads without notifying them. I'm not wasting time doing something that has no effect and I have always avoided posting ads that had been removed before I was ready to post.

Comment

Current scam on Gumtree for a Volkswagen Caddy KG05 LYS, we made an enquiry and received an e.mail from emma robinson (emma.robinson56@hotmail.com) First of all I want to thank you for your interest for my van. I've almost reached an agreement with a potential buyer. Unfortunately, it looks like there are some problems and he doesn't have all the money to pay, for the moment. It is in extremely good condition,100% HPI Clear, full service history. Currently I am on a business trip to Italy and will have to stay here for about 6 months (this is why I am selling the van for a low price and I am looking for a fast sale to finance the Italian project ). I left the van in D P Transport custody ( www.dp-transport.co.uk ) and they will handle the sale for me. The V5 log book is already signed on my behalf, the van will come with 2 keys, all service records and previous MOT's. D P Transport will deliver the van directly to your home address and I will pay all delivery expenses. If you are interested in purchasing the van just contact D P Transport department that handles the sale directly at: info@dp-transport.co.uk and they will assist you with any questions you might have regarding the transaction.
          When contacting the D P Transport please specify my name ( Emma Robinson) and the van make and model.

The link to DP Transport web-site has been hijacked and has nothing to do with the true owners, the telephone number has been changed and sadly this family has recently suffered a bereavement.

As our warning lights were alerted we carried on with the enquiries, this advert originally stated the van was for sale in Rotherham, tonight it has appeared in Burwell Cambridge same owner Emma Robinson.

Anyway an invoice was sent to us as follows:-
          SalesInvoice Transaction#:W99021 confirmed!
          • Seller's verified details:
          Seller's name: Emma Robinson
          Seller's address: 139 Lund Crescent, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA2 4BY, United Kingdom

W CADDY 1.9 tdi 104 bhp SAT NAV
          £2,500.00

Delivery&Insurance
          Included
          £0.00
          Date of verification: 29.05.2015
          Items Included:
          Log Book V5 Doc, Full Service History, 3 months warranty
          Payment Method: Bank to Bank wire transfer
          Total amount to be paid: £2,500.00
          Prior delivery the Buyer must send the payment to our DP Transport Buyer Protection account.

It is recommended to send the payment as soon as possible. Sending the payment by any other payment method will void this transaction and your right to refund.
          We will secure/hold your payment until you have received and inspected the car for 48hrs.
          After your payment is securely received and confirmed we will start the delivery of the vehicle to your provided address.
          After the 48 hrs inspection period expires ,if you will decide to purchase the vehicle we will forward your payment to the seller's bank account and the sale is concluded.
          If you will decide not to purchase the vehicle we will refund your payment in your bank account or in cash right there and then and we will collect the car from you.
          Is as simple and safe as that!
          Please find below the banking information where you must send your payment:

Account Holder/Agent: I DucaBank Name: Natwest BankSort Code: 601711Account No: 87614111

***The payment should be completed within the next 2 working days after you receive the payment information from us. It is fully refundable if the deal is not completed

When you've successfully completed your payment please send us (by replying to this email) a clear photo or a scanned copy of your bank transaction (proof of payment)
          IMPORTANT ADVICE
          When you will make the bank transfer please do not put any messages like " Caddy ", put only: Invoice#W99021
          •Please allow us 24hrs to process your payment, please note that the delivery will start only after your payment is successfully received and verified !

The vehicle that's purchased is provided with all the documents and papers that are needed for registration . All these documents are given to you at the reception of the vehicle. Thanks to our experience we know exactly what documents are needed

We will contact you by e-mail or phone as soon as your shipment has started.
          Help
          For any questions please contact us by replying to this email.
          Copyright © DP Transport All Rights Reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.

This is what we were told:- You're in safe hands when you buy using DP Transport services.
          Pay for your vehicle and have it delivered directly at your home address for free! With our new online buying system 7,142 sales were made via DP Transport in the last year,a total of £3,771,254! Given our vast experience in selling vehicles we will offer you a 100% safe,fast and pleasant transaction. DPTransport provide reliable & efficient vehicle transport services with a fleet of single & multi vehicle transporters operating daily throughout the UK & Europe.
          We confirm that the vehicle is in our custody, it has been fully inspected by our technical support team and it is in very good condition. All documents are present and in perfect order.
          All vehicles sold using our services:
          -Have a Full Service History
          -Are fully HPI Clear
          -Have a minimum of 6 Months MOT
          -All vehicles supplied with 3 months warranty
          -7 days free driveaway insurance
          We are afraid that due to the temporary lack of personnel and due to previous bad experiences we had with a lot of undecided customers just wanting to test drive and not to buy we do not organize private viewings or cash on delivery.
          Please allow us to explain you the 4 steps of the transaction :
          1.PAYMENT- To verify you are a serious person and genuinely interested in purchasing the vehicle you will first have to send the payment for your transaction by bank to bank wire transfer to our Buyer Protection bank account.

2.DELIVERY- After your payment is successfully received and verified we will deliver the vehicle to your address. We will organize and start the shipment the same day your payment has been received and the delivery will take maximum three working days.

3.INSPECTION- On delivery you will benefit of a 48 hrs inspection period of the vehicle before deciding to purchase the vehicle. During the 48 hrs inspection period you can have the vehicle inspected by your local garage or have it AAA/RAC verified, we absolutely welcome any checks you want to perform on the vehicle and documents.

4-SALE COMPLETED/REFUND- Only if the inspection is 100% satisfactory and you will decide you want to keep the vehicle we will forward your payment to the seller's bank account and the sale is successfully concluded.
          If, for ANY reason, you will refuse the vehicle we will refund your full payment immediately to your bank account or in cash right there and then and collect the vehicle from you (absolutely no extra charges for you).

This is a 100% secure system for both buyer and the seller because we will release your payment to the seller only after you have received and inspected the vehicle.

We are now recognising these scammers, we sent them an e.mail tonight telling them to remove the advert and they just sent a reply back saying Hi ! All their adverts have respond via e.mail only. Last night we removed another advert for another Volkswagen Caddy in Rochdale.

They relay on money being sent and vehicle being delivered they do not actually have any of these vehicles.

Hope we can close this Natwest Bank Account down and quick.
          Last edited by StaffordGasEngineers; 30th May 2015, 23:35:PM.

Comment

Account Holder/Agent: I Duca Bank Name: Natwest BankSort Code: 601711Account No: 87614111

Highlighting this bank account, we have just managed to copy the one advert and re-posted on Gumtree with Scam written all over it, and will do the same with every vehicle we find, after reporting this to Gumtree tonight message received was "contact seller Emma Robinson" hello she does not exist !

Comment

Hi and welcome, glad you had the presence of mind to question this and have a search round, I assume you found this thread via Google etc?

I've now sent that account to RBS (who own Natwest) for closure and you can consider it closed as of Midday Monday. If you do spot any more scams , feel free to post them up here http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...and-Autotrader .
              Try to keep the same format i.e Make, Model, Reg No. and if possible a picture with a link to the advert. If you get any other bank account details and have the "invoice" to go with it then please pass on to me ASAP for closure. Hopefully you've just saved a few others losing £2500 or more.

You can report the listing by hitting the report button under the sellers contact details, mark it as "This is illegal/fraudulent"
              Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

Comment

Photo of Vehicle, Gumtree have just replied stating advert is removed and being investigated
                Attached Files

Comment

Here we go again http://www.gumtree.com/p/vans/vw-cad...vat/1118831359 Now moved to Southampton, Hampshire £2,500.00

Comment

KG05 YLS - do not buy - scam.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hi. Looking for an email address of Barclays CEO Anthony Jenkins, can anyone help, thanks

Comment

ceo_Barclays.doc
                        Try this

Comment

i was scammed in august 2013, looks like they used same format:

First of all I want to thank you for your interest for my car. You're lucky ....I had to pause the listing on Gumtree because I've almost reached an agreement with a local potential buyer. Unfortunately, it looks like there are some problems and he doesn't have all the money to pay, for the moment
                          The car is still available for sale, it is in extremely good condition,100% HPI Clear, full service history. Currently I am on a business trip to Italy and will have to stay here for about 6 months (this is why I am selling the car for a low price and I am looking for a fast sale to finance the Italian project )
                          I left the car in Gumtree custody and they will handle the sale for me. The V5 log book is already signed on my behalf, the car will come with 2 keys, all service records and previous MOT's. Gumtree will deliver the car directly to your home address and I will pay all delivery expenses
                          If you are interested in purchasing the car just contact the Gumtree department that handles the sale directly at:
                          gumtree-sales@europe.com and they will assist you with any questions you might have regarding the transaction
                          PS When contacting the Gumtree department please specify my name ( Sofia Coles) and the car make and model

Regards
                          Sofia

THIS HAS BEEN GOING ON SINCE 2011 TO PRESENT, ONLY THE ENABLERS

SUCH AS BARCLAYS BANK ,EBAY INC CAN PUT AN END TO IT ???

Comment

VW CADDY 1.9 tdi 104 bhp SAT NAV... NO VAT

Middleton, Manchester £3,500.00, reported to Gumtree again advert now removed, price increased ! So in one week it's been Rotherham, Burwell, Southampton now Manchester.

We would never scam anyone, but have declared war on their attempt to try and scam us, we will continue to remove this advert everynight until it gets stopped, just how many other vehicles are they advertising ?

Comment

Thousands.......................http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...and-Autotrader

Comment

Hi,
                                Having just found this forum for the very good reason that I've just been scammed and been searching names etc, there's some very good info on here and the other "BusterJack" Ebay listings thread. So I wonder if someone can help with approaches to banks.
                                Mine was a Land Rover from the LR monthly site. I thought I'd checked well enough...talked about the oddities you get with these vehicles, he knew the VIN number (for me the last 4 DVLA digits and typical serial type for age), and some chat about "his" house which I'd got a picture of from Streetview. And, and this is my main point for some advice here, he used a Halifax account.

I'd got edgy the same evening (28th May) I transferred the money. Having had several separate conversations over a few hours, after transfer I got no response, just answerphone. I eventually paid for 192.com for full address and phone number info, and found other people lived at the address, with no knowledge of him. Wish I'd done that earlier!!
                                Now, to the Halifax. I phoned them early morning. They said, keeping it short, that they would only respond if it's a police matter. I reported it and got a crime number from ActionFraud on the 30th via the local police station. ( I tried on the 29th to strike while the iron's hot, but they said give it a day just in case he's just slow responding).
                                With it reported, I called the Halifax again. Now, I know that they can't talk details over the phone with a third party. But the adviser just wasn't interested at all, wouldn't put me through to their fraud department, and actually said that even if it's suspected to be an account opened with false documents, even their fraud department can't look at customer's accounts. He would not take any account details. They'd only respond to a direct police request. As ActionFraud is centralised, I can't encourage fast action while the account is still in use the way I possibly could have with going to my local police.
                                I got his first name...and he got really upset when I asked for his surname...and would only give me his supervisors name.

I would like to write to an appropriate person higher up in the Halifax. I transferred money thinking that it's a highly reputable organisation with very good account protocols...I even had a mortgage with them in the past...but found them totally intransigent in their refusal to consider this account suspicious. (I can see from other posts that other High Street banks have problems of suspicious accounts)
                                I know they can't take information from third parties. And I know they'd be opening themselves to people who think they're overcharged for something and make malicious calls. But this account is almost certainly opened with fraudulent documents, and has been reported to the police.

Any suggestions who to write to?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X