• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Ebay, Gumtree & Autotrader Vehicle / Car Scams

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ebay & Gumtree Vehicle Scam. Barclays provide Fraudsters Accounts

I've heard back from the BBC journalist and she is very keen to hear from more victims please.

Those of you who have PM'd me permission to contact, I have passed your details onto the journalist. She will be in contact shortly.

:beagle:
    "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Re: Barclays and vehicle scam via ebay and gumtree

Originally posted by alibee57 View Post
      You must get a kick out of other peoples misery !
      I get more pleasure from helping people, wherever and whenever I can.

However, it does seem pointless to suppose that unless Barclays are obliged by the police or a court to deny funds to an account holder, the proceeds of their frauds will not be transferred elsewhere.

Comment

To update my previous posting. Barclays have actually replied by phone to my recorded delivery letter of Monday last. Yesterday I had a call from Barclays to say that a Mr Michael Chandler has been passed my letter or investigation and that he would be calling me within 3 days. I passed on the Kent Police Crime number so that all the information I had was in their possession. I also left the caller in no doubt that I would be doing exactly what I said, ie, no restitution, an immediate summons to the county court with its attendant publicity. I have taken the liberty of posting a copy of the letter below so that as wide a publicity is given as possible. I am resolved that Barclay's, at the very least are going to be exposed as a principal agent of the fraudsters, and also that the Police and Action Fraud are also castigated in an open court for their complete failure to act effectively. The more I hear of the failures we put up with by the regulatory and Police agencies, the more frustrated I get. Here in Kent we have a new Police Commissioner who seems to have about as much influence on the Chief Constable as a wet day in June, yet is paid a small fortune for nothing. If any others who have been hit by the inaction of Barclays in this way would care to get in touch I would be delighted to use that information in exposing the Bank. If, and its a big if, I actually succeed in getting Barclays to pay up it might give others the ammunition to take Barclays on in a like manner. Thank you all for your patience in reading this and the following letter, I know its a diatribe but like you all I feel utterly stupid and almost, powerless in the face of these inefficient bureaucrats.
        CEO Barclays Bank
        1, Churchill Place,
        London. E14 5HP

Cc Branch Manager.
        Dover, Market Square, Kent.

Dear Sir

I write to inform you that I have recently been the victim of an internet fraud that involved your bank.

The basic details are that I decided to purchase a car through ebay and was required by the seller to pay him the money for the car via direct bank transfer. Whilst I do appreciate that there are safer ways of payment, the scam being very sophisticated and professional, it gave me the confidence to pay a deposit of £1000 into his nominated Barclays Bank Account.

However, after some further correspondence with the seller I made some further enquiries, including to ebay and it soon transpired that it was a scam.

I immediately contacted your branch in Dover and spoke to a very helpful lady manager. I explained what had happened and requested that she freeze the transfer of funds that I had initiated from my Natwest account. Not able to do this she telephoned your fraud department on my behalf and gave them the details of the transaction, the account number, sort code and also the crime Number assigned to the case, which I have repeated above.

From the information I have gleaned from many different sources, these frauds are actively being carried out via EBAY, Gumtree/ Autotrader and other advertising sources. This appears to have been going on for a long time and all agencies concerned, whether it be the above, the Police or indeed the Action Fraud agency are fully aware of these acts, but are being seen to achieve precisely nothing, and in addition, are apparently doing nothing to prevent this type of fraud. The active agent in these frauds is Barclays Bank, as in all the cases that I have found, the bank involved has been Barclays. I know that you have been made aware of these activities by many others who have also been victims of this scam, all of whom sent money to criminal fraudsters using accounts held at various branches of your bank, on too numerous occasions to mention here. You will also be aware that your bank has been reported to the Financial Ombudsman repeatedly for dereliction of your statutory responsibilities in checking identities, and bona fides when allowing these accounts to be set up.

I must tell you that the criminal who scammed myself of £1000 is still actively seeking to obtain more money from me, no doubt thinking that I am unaware that a scam is in progress. I am listing below the accounts being used by these criminals so that you are in no doubt that this is an active fraud. I truly hope that you will quickly act on this information and actively assist in the apprehension of the criminals who are perpetrating these scams.

I am handing this letter to the manager of the Dover Branch, who as I say has been most helpful in this matter, and I am relying on her to transmit it through your banks channels. I will also, if able to track your address, post this missive to you by recorded delivery. I will be inviting the local manager to read this letter before it is sealed, so that she can send it by telephone to your fraud department with the account details in active use.

I am aware that many people have tried to hold Barclays to account for their discreditable activities regarding their apparent assistance of these criminals, and that you have denied culpability. For myself I can only say that failure by Barclays to reimburse me of the £1000 scammed with your banks assistance, will result in a claim being entered via the small claims division of the County Court at Canterbury. If this course is entered upon I will endeavour to ensure that all local Media, including Radio, TV and News agencies are represented so that Barclays part in this disgraceful criminal activity is exposed to the Public at large as a warning.

I fully expect Barclays to attempt to ignore this missive but I can assure you that I am fully resolved that those aiding the criminals should be exposed and I will go to whatever lengths are required to gain redress.

Account No’s: Original account used purportedly by: ‘ebay motors’ and as reported to your Fraud department via your Dover Branch.
        Acc No: 5379345 / Sort Code: 20-92-60

Wembly & Park Royal Branch, Leicester. LE87 2BB

Active account No used purportedly by: ‘Andrew Booth.’
        Acc No: 93839842 / Sort Code: 20-92-63

As Above: Wembly & Park Royal Branch,
        Leicester. LE87 2BB

Not a coincidence, is somebody in that branch an active member of this gang of criminal fraudsters?

Comment

Hi,
          I tried to report to Barclay's Bank on Sunday through their Fraud Line and was told continuously they could not discuss an Account with me. I told them I did not want to discuss an Account I wanted to report a Fraud that was being committed through eBay and the Fraudsters funds were going through their bank and all I wanted to do was give them the details of the Account so they would be aware of what was going. I was told they could not have a conversation with me and would have to end the conversation and hung up on me.

I then started to e:mail different departments and got no replies so I then went to Facebook and told Barclay's page on there how I was treated trying to report a Fraud that took place as their Bank was involved. They replied to say tell the Police and eBay and sorry for the inconvenience. I replied telling them how their Fraud Line didn't want to know. Police and ebay had been informed and how I had been hung up on by a representative of their Fraud Line. They were not interested in the Fraud that had taken place with their help and how I had e:mailed diff departments. I then got a reply saying they had got my e:mail and would be in touch as soon as.

I got a reply by e:mail saying, sorry about the poor experience I had but unfortunately this was a Police matter, but they could record an Official Non Customer Complaint, WHAT !!! not good enough.

I got a different reply from a different dept saying as follows

Thank you for your email dated 7/4/13.We would like to thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. The information you provided has now been sent to our Fraud Prevention team for investigation and further action. We can assure you that all reports of this nature are taken very seriously.Unfortunately, due to data protection rules, we are unable to discuss details of our customers' accounts with third parties, so cannot provide you with any further information.Please note that as the payment was authorised Barclays cannot take action to recover any monies sent.Additionally you would need to advise your bank and take action to prevent possible fraudulent access to your account.If you have not already done so, please report this case to the police as soon as possible. We recommend that you do not directly contact the beneficiary again, as this may alert them to any actions that are being taken. Barclay's are NOT going to take any responsibility for this even though many people have reported the same person and same Bank Acc to them.

ebay are less than useless and have had no help from them at all they even allowed the seller to continue selling the item even after I reported it. I tried to buy the same item through someone elses Account and could have bought it again and again and again until I got hold of someone on chat on eBay and told them the item i reported was still for sale soon after it was taken off.I have complained to eBay through e:mail several times and the reply I got today was unbeleivable they are trying to tell me the item is no longer visible because the TRANSACTION took place in 2008 EH nooooooooooo it took place 2nd of April 2013 and if I wanted to pursue through legal go to www.eBay.co.uk click user agreement and look under General heading REALLY !!!!! they are absolutely not interested. Will have to see what the Police have to say as they have taken a statement from me but they have to come back and do a statement for the English side of the law as eBay is based in England and the goods were sold in Scotland through a seller from England unbelievable.

Good luck with Barclay's torlief.
          Last edited by alibee57; 14th April 2013, 09:42:AM.

Comment

These were on another fraud warning site, posted on the 29th January 2013. That site removes any links to other sites, so I'm not providing a link to theirs and pushing them up the Google rankings. If you want to find them, search for "barclays scam" in Google.

Found all these is less than an hour.
            All ebay motors fraud, all Barclays.

Something needs to be done.

Name: Ionut Merticaru
            IBAN: GB94BARC20717543203298
            BIC / Swift: BARCGB22
            Sort Code: 20-71-75
            Account No. 43203298
            Bank name : Barclays

Beneficiary: I. Fediuc
            Bank Name: Barclays
            Account no: 53943542
            Sort Code: 20-41-41
            City: London

Beneficiary: C. Barbalata
            Account no: 93633438
            Sort Code: 20-91-79

Beneficiary: P. Lorient
            Account no: 23503038
            Sort Code: 20-41-41
            United Kingdom

Beneficiary: E. Solcanu
            Account no: 63357554
            Sort Code: 20-91-79
            United Kingdom

Account Name: E.Tractor
            Bank sort code: 20-29-41
            Bank Account : 63275949
            Bank address: London, United Kingdom

Beneficiary: A. Ciule
            Account no: 53761282
            Sort Code: 20-53-04

Oct 2011
            Beneficiary: S. Andronache
            Account no: 63614565
            Sort Code: 20-74-63
            Oct 2011
            Name: Alison Neale
            Address: 76B Strathern Road
            Dundee, Angus
            DD5 1PH
            Scotland
            Beneficiary: R. Hustiuc
            Account no: 63902390
            Sort Code:20-29-77

April 2012
            Beneficiary: D. Dragoi
            Account no: 73303136
            Sort Code: 20-35-93

Bank account details:
            Beneficiary: I. Bunea
            Account no: 13831965
            Sort Code: 20-29-41

Mr M. Tomescu Account no. 13549216, sort code 20-92-63, Barclays, London
            I. Bunea Account no. 13831965, sort code 20-29-41, Barclays, London (used at least twice)
            jurgi goldberg Account no. 23378837, sort code 20-27-49, barclays bank, 53 broadway, w5 5js.
            F. Marandiuc Account no. 43351939, sort code 20-95-61, Barclays (used at least twice)
            D. Dragoi Account no: 73303136, sort Code 20-35-93, Barclays, London

Account Name: E B AUTO
            IBAN: GB94 BARC 2029 7753 1590 43
            SWIFT Code: BARCGB22
            Bank Name: Barclays Bank PLC
            Account No: 53159043
            Sort Code: 20-29-77
            Bank address: 158 PHILIP LANE,SOUTH TOTTENHAM,LONDON,N15 4JN,UNITED KINGDOM

Account Name: JAKUM BAKUN
            IBAN: GB94 BARC 2029 7753 1590 43
            Account No: 53159043
            Bank address: 20 THE TOWN, ENFIELD, MIDDX,LONDON,EN2 6LY,UNITED KINGDOM

Account Name: A.M. PARC
            Bank Account Number: 43103226
            Bank Sort Code: 20-29-77
            Bank address: United Kingdom

Account Name: V.KARABUSI
            Bank Account Number: 33064271
            Bank Sort Code: 202977
            Bank Name: Barclays Bank
            Bank address: United Kingdom

Account Name: eBay U.K
            IBAN: GB59 BARC 2029 7763 9575 19
            Account No: 63957519
            Bank address: Enfield,Leicester, LE87 2BB,United Kingdom

Comment

I was scammed in November last year and lost 3,500. I saw an advert for a Ford Focus on Gum Tree. The car caught my eye because it was very reasonably priced. I contacted the email address on the ad and asked why the car was the price it was. I received a reply from someone called Mike Preston saying he was getting divorced and needed a quick sale for the money. I asked if it was possible to view the car but he explained that he was currently working offshore on an oil rig near Inverness but could organise for the car to be delivered. I said I was interested and he said he would organise to have an ebay invoice emailed to me for the value of £3,500. He explained that the money would be transferred into an ebay holding account and would remain there until I had received the car and was happy with it. If for any reason I was not happy with the car once received the money would be transferred back to me from the ebay holding account and the car would be returned. I contacted ebay through a live chat system and asked advice regarding this holding account method they confirmed this was a valid payment method. I rang my bank HSBC and arranged for the amount of £3,500 to be transferred to this so called holding account. Once the transfer was completed I received an email confirmation from ebay or so I thought saying that the payment had been received. The seller then contacted me and arranged a delivery date and time for the car.
              When the car was not delivered I contacted the seller to inform them and they replied and said they had no contact details for the shipping company. This is when I became suspicious and typed the sellers email address into google. It came up with a page regarding scams and details of people who had been conned in exactly the same way as I had. I immediately rang my bank regarding the payment but they said there was nothing they could do as I had authorised the payment.
              I then contacted the police and spent the whole day at the police station giving a statement and providing them with evidence of all the emails etc. I last spoke to the police on Christmas eve and they confirmed they had done some checks on the Barclays bank account used for the scam. They confirmed the address used to open the bank account was in no way linked to the person who had opened the bank account therefore Barclays had not done the appropriate checks when the account was opened. The police officer also confirmed the account had also been used previously for a similar fraud. PC The advised I contact Barclays directly and explain the situation and ask them to reimburse the money as they had let someone open an account fraudulently.
              I did as advised and sent Barclays an email through their complaints system on their website. Within a few days someone from the bank telephoned me and said that the information I had been given by the police must be incorrect as there is no way they would have let someone open an account without doing the appropriate checks. She ended the conversation by saying she believed there was nothing they could do and was going to close the complaint.
              I then wrote to the financial ombudsman and they said I needed a final response from Barclays. So I wrote to Barclays and received a letter again saying there was nothing they could do and they were not responsible. I then wrote back to the ombudsman and enclosed the letter from Barclays. The ombudsman have just begun to look into it and asked what outcome I would like so I said I want Barclays to refund my money and ensure all these fraudulent accounts are closed and no further accounts like this are opened.
              I also wrote to watch dog about this last year when it first happened but all I got back was a postcard thanking me for my letter but they were not going to pursue the issue at this time. However from reading this blog it is obviously a very high volume crime and there is a definite link to Barclays bank and something needs to be done to stop these horrible people that obviously do not have any conscience or morals. I am due to get married in August and I have had to use the money we had saved for the wedding to buy another car so we are now going to start married life in debt because of some low scum who seem to be able to get away again and again with the same crime.

Comment

So it still goes on and on and on with eBay and Barclay's. Wish I could go down my High St and open an Account so easy !

Comment

Originally posted by alibee57 View Post
                  So it still goes on and on and on with eBay and Barclay's. Wish I could go down my High St and open an Account so easy !
                  It does seem to be easy, as it is unlikely there is a criminal mastermind behind all those fake IDs.

And Watchdog isn't interested in that?

Perhaps it's a job for a programme more used to difficult, investigative journalism, such as Panorama?

Comment

I just read your stories and myself was scammed by Christine Burnea. I went to the bank and they sent me to the police. I don't think I will ever get my money back.... Did someone that was scammed by this person find out more details ?

Comment

When did you get scammed by Christine Burnea Jamie 239, and did you go to the Police ?

Comment

After all the years of warnings on the tele in the papers and everywhere why do people fall for these scams are they all daft or just plain stupid if it sounds a bargain it probably aint never pay more than you can afford to lose and see before you buy a little research can save a lot of grief and money ,when this one goes away the next scam will start and more mugs will be caught

Comment

Same thing happened to us last week, guy stated worked in scotland getting divorced had two vehicles for sale and need money to pay for divorce, as working on oil rig unable to view vehicle but able to transport for £100.00, paid money into account by bankers draft, ebay emails also received, again Barclays account used and money paid in, ebay dont want to know, has anyone got their money back and does anyone know of any legal action taken against barclays for allowing their bank to be used by fraudsters. We have involved the police but my feelings are if a number of us got together then we may be succesful in getting compensation as appears barclays are negligent in their security checks

Comment

Beware!!! Often as not those who fall for scams are then victims again as they become unwitting members of a 'sucker's list' Companies suddenly 'offer' to recover your money, for a fee of course...

Comment

We are interested in any help from BBC the more help we can get the better
                              Last edited by gbvwgolf1; 20th April 2013, 15:13:PM. Reason: error in text

Comment

Just found 2 scammers who request payment by barclays:

ELDDIS CRUSADER SIROCCO 2006 CARAVAN with full Isabella awning and accessories Item number:181124235120

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELDDIS-CRU...item2a2bd87f70

&

2006 Elddis Crusader Superstorm with many extras Item number:251262109654

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2006-Elddi...item3a806387d6

I reported to ebay but the listings are still going on!!!! Let's report all of us so these scams will be stopped!!!!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X