• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Ebay, Gumtree & Autotrader Vehicle / Car Scams

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ebay, Gumtree & Autotrader Vehicle / Car Scams

It is public Righty and easily searchable on Google, that is why so many people land here to tell us about their scams
    Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

OK send a copy to each of the websites Ebay, Gumtree, Auto Trader etc AND the named banks then lets see their responses

Comment

They already have them righty, as do the Police, NCA and BIS.
        Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

Comment

Latest mule account baited by our team at homeaway in Australasia

Bank: Barclays
          Beneficiary Name: Franco Cremonesi
          Sort Code: 20-92-63
          Account number: 20227102
          Scammer email: topvacationproperties@gmail.com

Comment

What about the BBA? AND the individual banks themselves

Comment

Originally posted by bricko View Post
              I saw the Ad on Ebay/Gumtree on Tuesday 30th September 2014. I rang the mobile number provided by the seller which is 07914 855360 and left a message enquiring about the Motorhome

Can I have details about the Motorhome. Make, model etc.

Also if possible the eBay Item Number.

And most important : The exact date and time of your first email enquiry.

Comment

Originally posted by Buster Jack View Post
                Can I have details about the Motorhome. Make, model etc.

Also if possible the eBay Item Number.

And most important : The exact date and time of your first email enquiry.
                Hi buster jack..

The details you require are as follows.
                Mercedes Sprinter Motorhome 316 Automatic.
                Item number 140785144711.
                First recieved a text asking if I was still interested in the motorhome on gumtree and they gave me there email address on this text on tue 30 Sept at 17;43. I replied back the same day at 18;40.
                They replied back at 18;24 saying the Motorhome was still for sale etc etc.

Hope this information is ok
                Bricko

Comment

Hi

Did you receive the message last night I sent as I have been having trouble with my Internet connection.

Regards
                  Bricko

Comment

I did yes and will wait until you hear back from them

Comment

Bricko

Thanks for the detail, that was helpful. Sadly I cannot be helpful in return - I have a better understanding of what happened now. It looks as if you saw the Sprinter on Gumtree and when you made contact the fraudsters sent you a link to an eBay listing that didn't really exist; it was created for you and wasn't actually an eBay listing at all. I am sure you know all this by now.

I had hoped that it was originally discovered (by you) on eBay, because I have just done a search through recent archives (i.e. Sept 2014 and the first few days of Oct) and I found about half-a-dozen Merc Sprinter scams, scams that were found/reported/deleted. None of these have any connection with your case unfortunately.

I used to do a bit of scambusting on Gumtree but now it is absolutely impossible due to the sheer volume of fraudulent listings on eBay. The irony is that I am probably instrumental in creating (or influencing) the increase, because the overwhelming majority of scam attempts fail as they are shut down in a few hours. The almost understandable reaction from the fraudsters is simply to do more and more, with few generating any returns but this is their way of life and the business they have chosen - theft, fraud, money laundering.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Originally posted by bricko View Post
                      Hi buster jack..

The details you require are as follows.
                      Mercedes Sprinter Motorhome 316 Automatic.
                      Item number 140785144711.
                      First recieved a text asking if I was still interested in the motorhome on gumtree and they gave me there email address on this text on tue 30 Sept at 17;43. I replied back the same day at 18;40.
                      They replied back at 18;24 saying the Motorhome was still for sale etc etc.

Hope this information is ok
                      Bricko

Comment

Cheers Buster, we have this one covered and will update everyone when we know more :okay:

Comment

Hi

I have just found another Item Number which is 1082858156 does this help any?

Regards
                          Bricko

Comment

when a financial institution is a victim of fraud the police are all over like a rash, when members of the public are conned via a bank the police and the bank are not interested, maybe when there is say 10,000 victims of online car ad fraud then maybe the banks might just react!!. In this age of vitual/online shopping the companys providing this service MUST DO MORE TO KEEP USERS/BUYERS SAFE , here is a news story that justifies why banks need to up there game against fraudsters:

23 October 2014 Last updated at 16:41 Share this page