• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Disability under the 2010 equalities act

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disability under the 2010 equalities act

Hi,
    Can anyone offer me some further advice and guidance from my original posting (Negligence Claim).

I have attended an IHR assessment today with Atos at one of their assessment centres in Bedfordshire.
    I am a Prison Officer and have been off work with cubital tunnel syndrome (been suffering since 2006) and recently had an operation (last week) to decompress the nerve to prevent further detioration of my hands (I am going to have surgery to other one the left arm soon).
    I have not been informed of the outcome for IHR yet as they are requesting a medical report from my consultant first.
    As previously mentioned i have nearly 19 years service and i am currently 47 years old.
    Anyway at the assessment for IHR (i am in Classic CSPS pension) the doctor said that i had a disability under the Equalities act.
    He also stated that i was not fit for work and there was uncertainty as to when i would be.
    As a front line Officer i don't see how my employer could make any reasonable adjusted duties due to the nature of my work role.
    Can anyone advise me as to where this might lead for me.
    Thanks in advance.
    Tags: None

Re: Disability under the 2010 equalities act

Is there not front office work you could be assigned? where you would be at a desk!
    Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

even being a front line officer

has anybody started to look for another job roll within the prision service, have all avenues been explored

is their a job avaliable that can be adjusted to suit your needs either at your current or different location

it all depends if you want to take ill health retirement.

has it been explain that their are two types of IHR

that is with pension rights, or you may even be able to draw on your pension as well as an IHR PAYMENT

THE OTHER NORMAL PAYMENT FOR IHR CONSISTS OF

34 WEEKS WAGES
      12 WEEKS PYLON, PAY IN LIEU OF NOTICE
      ANY OUTSTANDING HOLIDAY ENTITLEMENT

it may be slightly different in your case but the trade union would have agreed it in principle

has any of this not been explaind to you yet????

Comment

Originally posted by teaboy2 View Post
        Is there not front office work you could be assigned? where you would be at a desk!
        This might be available as a short term measure, however i am employed as a Prison Officer and my contracutual obligation is to be able to do Control and Restraint as required, also there are a lot of steel cell doors/gates that have to be undone as part of my role.
        Even computer based repetative activities contribute to exasperating this condition.

Comment

Hi Militant and thanks for your reply, i have received good advice from you previously in this issue i have.
          I would except IHR subject to what i would get from it.
          My service would (i guess) be rounded up to 19 years as i am currently at 18 1/2 years service so this would be the calculation point.
          As said in my previous post i am employed on the front line, and we (Prison Service) have accepted a revised working practice called "Fair and Sustainable" although my terms and conditions remain unchanged , god help those who join the job from now on!
          I have been absent from work now for 7 weeks and my current note expires in jan 2013 although this will probably continue well after this date.This has meant i have not spoken with my POA Rep. At the moment i have not been formaly offered IHR and what with Atos anything might happen!
          I was just asking for IAG on what having a disability might mean for me under the 2010 EA. Alternatively i may get dismissed due to medical inefficiency, but i feel IHR would provide a better outcome for me.

Comment

To be given IHR is a drastic step, though some employers use it as a way to reduce staff head count with little friction. Royal Mail is a prime example of this practice as their occupational health is ATOS as well. and remember, it is who pays the piper.

an employer should only start to consider IHR if the employee has had six months or more in sick time, most employers use the nine month as a bench mark

medical discharge through capability and IHR are the same thing with the same benefits.

but you have the ultimate decision if they ask you about IHR. Do you accept and go quietly, or do you refuse and end up being dismissed on medical capability and end up going to an employment tribunal for unlawful dismissal

Their will be pressure on you to accept IHR as no employer wants to do reasonable adjusments which may have a dollar price attached to it, no matter what the Equality Act states

Comment

Originally posted by miliitant View Post
              To be given IHR is a drastic step, though some employers use it as a way to reduce staff head count with little friction. Royal Mail is a prime example of this practice as their occupational health is ATOS as well. and remember, it is who pays the piper.

an employer should only start to consider IHR if the employee has had six months or more in sick time, most employers use the nine month as a bench mark

medical discharge through capability and IHR are the same thing with the same benefits.

but you have the ultimate decision if they ask you about IHR. Do you accept and go quietly, or do you refuse and end up being dismissed on medical capability and end up going to an employment tribunal for unlawful dismissal

Their will be pressure on you to accept IHR as no employer wants to do reasonable adjusments which may have a dollar price attached to it, no matter what the Equality Act states

Thanks for the advice on this Militant.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X