• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Advice needed on my contract of employment!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed on my contract of employment!

Yesterday (after many months of arguing) I finally received my written contract of employment for the employment I started on 1 March this year.

As the contract terminates on 21 December, it all seems a bit irrelevant really. But I do need a bit of advice before I sign it:

i) The contract is dated 23 November 2012 - ie yesterday. Is this okay - especially as the contract states that the date is the date that my period of continuous employment is calculated from?
    ii) If this is okay, should the contract reflect (a) the date I started and (b) the fact that from March - September I was an admin assistant and from September until the contract ends a classroom assistant?
    iii) The contract states that I am an Assistant Instructor and refers to the job description, which states that I am a Classroom Assistant. Shouldn't these two documents have the same description?
    iv) The contract states that I am subject to a three month probationary period, which, as it also states that my period of employment is from 23 November to 21 December seems complete and utter rubbish.

I have also been told - by the idiot in the main office who was too busy to prepare my contract until now, although she was aware it was a legal requirement - that she needs a copy of my CV and proof of my eligibility to work in the UK. I have previously submitted a detailed application form for the job I am doing - do they need a CV?? Especially considering that there is a gap from 1 March until 22 November whilst I was employed by them but without written confirmation of what my job was?

As far as proof of eligibility is concerned, I produced this in October 2011
    when I began work there as a volunteer. Is there any good reason why I should produce this again?

I know these two last points are petty, but after the way I've been treated I don't intend to be any more helpful than I need.

And - I'm very sorry, I know it's the weekend but I only got the contract last night, and I could do with advice as soon as possible!

Many thanks

Rhia
    Last edited by Rhia; 24th November 2012, 14:43:PM. Reason: I didn't spot a typo!
    Tags: None

Re: Advice needed on my contract of employment!

seems to me they are trying to fill in the blanks

their is no need for you to sign it and return

may i ask why you are asking these questions, as you employment has now terminated as it was a fixed term contract, all you need to worry about is a reference

why did they not renew the fixed term, or give you a full time contract, if they offered these, then yes i would be asking questions

Comment

THe contract is a rolling contract, reviewed every three months. It is possible that it may be renewed at the end of December, which is when (as I stated in my OP) the present contract terminates. My employment has not yet terminated.

I would like advice on the questions I raised.

Comment

an employer has to give you a contract of employment or statement of employment terms within 60 days of starting employment

the contract needs to be dated when you start work for the first time, even if the employment contract roll overs, thats unless a 7 day break in employment services between signing one contract of employment and another.

looking at what you have stated, i am under the impression that they have extended your contract of employment, thats why it is dated 23 november and totally ignored the fact that they have not provided a previous contract

did they tell you that your appointment when you started was for a fixed term

Comment

a) Yes, the original contract was for a fixed term of 6 months; then it was extended for 3 months, and then for a further 3 months. It is unclear at the moment whether there will be the money to extend it after the end of December but if there is it will be extended again.
          b) There was no break in employment.
          c) When I started paid employment I was told that it was for the fixed term of 6 months.

So - am I right in thinking that the contract should be dated 1 March, not 23 November, and that I should have some form of confirmation in writing for each occasion it was extended?

Comment

So - am I right in thinking that the contract should be dated 1 March, not 23 November, and that I should have some form of confirmation in writing for each occasion it was extended?

yes, totally correct, at the end of any fixed term, HR would send you a new contract of employment to sign stating they were extending your appointment

the start date of your employment does not change, unless their was a 7 day break of employment in signing one contract and another

in other words, you were made redundant after your temporary contract finished, then after 7 days they called you back and you signed another contract

but as you say their was no break in service, the contract needs to be dated march 1

thanks bassa

It matters not a jot what your contract says is the start of your contract, your continuous employment legally starts the day you joined the company.

You could enter 10 new contracts each with a different start date, your period of continuous employment remains the date you started at the company. Unless there is a clear 7 days break of employment.

Even if the contract says your start date for continuous employment is the date of your new contract and you sign it, it won't hold up at a Tribunal as you cannot sign away your statutory rights unless you have received independent legal advice about your rights paid for by your employer. (ERA 1996 sec 203 and Carrington v Harwich Dock Co Ltd [1998] IRLR 567 [EAT]).
            Last edited by miliitant; 25th November 2012, 12:05:PM.

Comment

Wonderful information - thanks Militant!

I have one other - very minor - query: the contract does not give my full name (ie my middle name) - should it, or is it acceptable to just give my first name and surname?

Rhia

Comment

Middle names are not relevant, just your first and last name are all that matter!
                Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                X