• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

B. Gas prepay meter fiasco

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: B. Gas prepay meter fiasco

Originally posted by alham View Post
    Oh don't give up, we'll get through it. Just spoke to the ombudsman, have you received from your gas provider a "dead lock letter", i.e. that's their final position and we are not prepared to do anything else? If you do your time period may not apply.
    Hi - no 'fraid not. Have one letter from them about my cancelling the Homecare Boiler Service cover, which reminds me, they left me without gas for ten days in the winter with that service, and never offered any compensation. I've been reading the National Grid standards about what suppliers should do and once again it is clear they didn't comply. Maybe they'd like to do some more running faster and catch up with my complaints.

I expect this means I will have to wait for their letter and then send it in again to Ombubsman, meantime have asked Watchdog to do my story and Citizens Advice Bureaux cannot talk to me until Thursday, which is my appt. time for a telephone call from them. Thank you for walking beside me with all this.

Comment

I'm sure if Watchdog get on the case it'll be sorted out in double quick time, BG hate national publicity like that 'they just don't like it up em!'
      I'm also sure it'll be a computer glitch or an error on the system, they never blame the clowns who input the data in the first place.

Comment

In that case you need to list all the issues in a letter, with contact dates (if possible), head it in BIG LETTERS "complaint" and email, followed up with posted copy. Make sure that you lay it on thick about lack of heating, charges, their behavior and concluding that Watchdog are very interested as well as other media sources. Give them 48 hours for response "as you are freezing"

Comment

If there's a child involved I'd give them less time to respond

Comment

Originally posted by swifty View Post
            If there's a child involved I'd give them less time to respond
            Hi - that's funny - the child grew up while I was waiting for a response. lol Actually my son was always going to be considered too old as I think their criteria is for children under 5. Had no stamps to send out copy letters etc today but will be sending tomorrow to back up my online complaint to them through their website. I have ignored their meter and will be interested to see how the debt grows and grows as they add the £3.55 every week despite not using it at all. And, they can't take 90% of nothing now.
            Thanks, will let you know if anything happens.

Comment

Keep us updated.You will win in the end.

Comment

Hi - this is becoming my personal blog :tinysmile_grin_t: Now relying, as you know, on BG electric prepay meter, and today it says I do not have authority to access their top up systems - just when I am about to run out of electric. This feels like a conspiracy but, ho hum, BG say they did an upgrade overnight and I should be able to access later today. Should, might, maybe.....

Comment

Hi - I spent this morning on the phone again to BG. It became apparent that they were not going to change their position and I had to get beyond their vicious circle of 90% by paying £15 to the meter, and although I could not afford it I did that. Of course I did not get the £15 credit that they say was on the meter. I spent a lot of time writing a 5 page letter to BG listing all their errors from 2009 to date, I posted it out and sent a copy to Mr Bentley.

I have already had an answer from Kathy White, Customer Relations, in which she pretty much rubbishes all I have to say, disagrees with me, ignores totally my questions about compensation when without a supply and states that THEY sent me an engineer to get the boiler working after their gas fitter left it not running. THEY did not send me anything - I had to use the Homecare Cover to get the engineer out after they changed the meters over and without it I would love to know what I would have done, but she fails to answer that but pats herself on the back for "resolving it for me". They also say that I will have to pay the £10 fee for the SAR, and will not waive it. Kathy White states that she can assume me that due process was followed when they obtained their warrant. Of course this is also untrue, and goes on to say that "our payasyougo customers don't pay more for their gas than other customers". I like the nice little catchy way of calling us 'payasyougo' instead of pre-pay customers? Totally ignoring the issues about 90% recovery rates and ten pounds RUNNING FASTER. This is another total whitewash from BG and Kathryn White and then she has the cheek to suggest that I will get 'independent' advice from the BG website. She also fails to address my questions about the charges on the account, totally ignored those. What a disgraceful organisation this is.

Comment

Right, was it by letter? If it was then get in touch with energy ombudsman and send them this letter. Follow up your contact with Watchdog, get in touch with http://www.consumerfocus.org.uk/ and check out this site http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/englan...r_supply_e.htm

Comment

Keep exact record, if possible, of your payments and how long each top up lasts. This will be an important evidence. Have you been in touch with your MP? Their interest can be very useful sometimes in cutting through bulls**t. Sorry, my brain is elsewhere until Tuesday.

Comment

http://www.writetothem.com/

how to contact your MP

Comment

Hi and thank you. Okay, so yesterday I spent £15 to get past the emergency 90% malarky and the meter said I had topped up over £9 for gas - however, it took out £4.55 which I apparently owed for using the emergency credit, that must have been when I paid the previous £9.00 in which did not clear the original £10 credit. Not to forget that at that time the meter took £3.55 then a further £1.85 and left me 60p gas. As yesterday was Wednesday it also took the £3.55 toward arrears, therefore leaving me £6.90 for gas. Great. Used the heating on timer during the evening, did the washing up, no baths etc, turned it off overnight, and today greeted with the news that I have £3.12 left for gas. Turned it all off and checked the meter again at 12.00 noon (high noon) Reading= £2.91 left. Checked at 3.30 pm, Reading =£2.88 gas left, all still switched off. Money available for gas still reducing when not in use.
                          At 3.35 pm got too cold and put heating only on, still showing £2.88p, checked meter at 4.15 pm Reading= now shows £2.56p left. Hmmm - I think its running at about 43p per hour which would cost £3.40 ish to leave on overnight without using it in the day at all. Will keep checking it but spoke to BG this morning which took a whole hour while waiting for them to go away and come back constantly. I didn't get an answer to all my questions and I have asked Kathy White if her letter is final. She responded with "this isn't a deadlock letter as such". Hmm, wonder what Ombudsman will take it as then, final deadlock letter needed but this is and isn't.?? I am still struggling with this 90% claw back everytime one falls into using emergency credit - which I expect the financial challenged will do quite often. I have some more things to check out about compensation and failing to respond to requests for help and waiting for more answers too. I have asked BG which bit of legislation or regulation approves this 90% recovery rate but they did not answer. I have asked BG about changing meters with no Warrant in hand, no answer. Onwards, onwards....oh, and they now say "it doesn't run faster" and that I shouldn't have been told that - bit of back-pedaling going there

Comment

Hi - another ten pounds needed for gas despite keeping use to a minimum and I now calculate that it will cost £130 per month which is more than 50% of my available funds, and before topping up electric. Food will be at the bottom of the list. So, yes Mr Cameron, there are lots of people choosing between fuel or food and I am sure the shareholders are very happy. I still cannot find the BG details of compensation rates when leaving customers without heating etc., and whether they are in line with the National Grid rates of £30 per day. (this being relative to failing to complete works and not to do with affordability and prepay meters)

Comment

http://www.britishgas.co.uk/content/...-listening.pdf

Our guaranteed standards
                              of performance
                              We know that you rely on us to provide essential services to your home and
                              we understand the inconvenience that problems with your gas and electricity
                              supply can cause. The paragraphs below explain the service we will provide.
                              Appointments
                              If we need to visit your home to carry out work
                              on your gas or electricity supply, we’ll offer
                              you the choice of a morning or afternoon
                              appointment which we will make every effort
                              to keep. If circumstances beyond our control
                              arise, we will also make every effort to contact
                              you, in advance, if the appointment cannot
                              go ahead. If we don’t do this, or if we don’t
                              visit without giving you notice, we’ll give you
                              £20 compensation if the appointment was in
                              connection with your gas supply, and £22 if it
                              was for your electricity supply.
                              Meter problems
                              If you think your gas or electricity meter is
                              faulty, please let us know immediately.
                              We’ll try to explain the problem by telephone
                              or in writing within 5 working days.
                              If we need to visit your home to inspect
                              the meter, we’ll offer to visit you within
                              7 working days. If we can’t do this, we’ll give
                              you £20 compensation if the problem is with
                              your gas meter, and £22 if it is with your
                              electricity meter.
                              Pay as you go meters
                              If you report a fault with your gas or
                              electricity pay as you go meter, an engineer
                              will attend within three hours (electricity) or
                              four hours (gas) on working days or within
                              four hours for either meter on any other day.
                              If we don’t, we’ll give you £20 compensation
                              if it is a fault with your gas meter, and £22 if
                              it is a fault with your electricity meter.
                              Compensation payments
                              Should we fail to live up to these guaranteed
                              standards, or if our service adversely affects
                              you in any way, you may be entitled to a
                              compensation payment. Different
                              compensation rules apply depending on
                              when the job in question was completed,
                              but if you are entitled to compensation,
                              we’ll make sure you have he payment within
                              ten working days. If you don’t, we’ll give you
                              an additional £20 if the compensation was in
                              connection with your gas account, and £22
                              if it was to do with your electricity account.
                              Please note, you will not be entitled to
                              compensation if you are responsible for
                              the delay in resolving the fault.
                              Our promise
                              We’re committed to giving you the highest quality service and
                              you can trust that we will work hard to resolve your complaints.
                              britishgas.co.uk
                              We’re listening
                              How we handle your gas
                              or electricity complaintsStep 1
                              0800 072 8632
                              If you have a Pay as you go meter 0800 072 8633
                              Complaints Management Team, British Gas,
                              PO Box 4804, Worthing BN11 9QU
                              britishgas.co.uk/complaints
                              Step 2
                              If you are not happy with the resolution of your complaint, please
                              contact Andy Eley, Head of Complaints at the above address or via:
                              If your complaint relates to a problem with the delivery of your gas or electricity, we will
                              pass it on to your network supply operator to investigate and, of course pass on any
                              response or compensation due to you.
                              Naturally we want to resolve your problem immediately, however if we are unable to
                              achieve this we will aim to reach resolution with you within 14 days. When you contact
                              us to make a complaint we will apologise; provide you with an explanation and confirm
                              what actions need to be taken – this may include a goodwill gesture or compensation.
                              If you remain unhappy with the service provided you can ask to speak to a Manager.
                              If you need to discuss your complaint face to face you may wish to visit any one
                              of our offices, for the nearest location please call 0800 072 8632
                              0800 107 0184
                              customercomplaints@britishgas.co.uk
                              If you are not happy with the resolution of your complaint, please
                              contact Andy Eley, Head of Complaints at the above address or via:
                              If you have a complaint
                              At British Gas, we’re committed to giving you the highest quality service. Although we aim to
                              do our best, there are times when things go wrong. If you have a complaint about any aspect
                              of our service, you can trust that we will take it seriously, work hard to resolve the problem
                              and build any improvements into our policies, processes and procedures.
                              If you are unhappy with our service, and would like to make a complaint please take the
                              following steps:
                              Correct at time of going to print, April 2012.
                              * Calls may be recorded and or monitored for quality
                              assurance and compliance purposes.
                              Independent advice
                              If you have followed steps 1 and 2 and
                              your complaint remains unresolved after
                              8 weeks or if we have issued you with
                              a deadlock letter, you have a right to
                              contact Ombudsman Services: Energy,
                              by phone: 0330 440 1624, textphone:
                              0330 440 1600, online at
                              os-energy.org or by post to:
                              Ombudsman Services: Energy,
                              PO Box 966, Warrington WA4 9DF.
                              Ombudsman Services: Energy, is an
                              independent body, established to provide
                              a free of charge service to impartially resolve
                              customer complaints in cases where the
                              customer and supplier cannot agree on
                              final resolution. Ombudsman Services:
                              Energy may require us to take one of more
                              of the following actions; take practical action
                              that may benefit you, offer an apology or
                              explanation, or make a financial reward.
                              Their final decision is binding on the Energy
                              Supplier, and not you as the customer.
                              If you need more advice?
                              The Citizens Advice consumer service
                              provides free, confidential and impartial
                              advice on consumer issues. Visit
                              www.adviceguide.org.uk or call the
                              Citizens Advice consumer helpline on
                              08454 04 05 06.
                              If you would also like to view a copy of the
                              ‘Gas & Electricity (consumer complaint
                              handling standards) Regulations 2008’,
                              please visit www.legislation.gov.uk
                              To obtain a copy of the British Gas
                              complaints handling process you can visit
                              our website at britishgas.co.uk/complaints
                              or we can send a copy free of charge by
                              calling us on 0800 048 0202
                              to request
                              a copy.
                              MI302(05/12) 29014449
                              British Gas Trading Limited
                              Registered in England & Wales: No 3078711
                              Millstream, Maidenhead Road, Windsor, Berkshire SL4 5GD
                              britishgas.co.uk
                              If you would like this information in another format such as in
                              large print, in Braille or on audio tape, please call 0800 072 8625.
                              If you have hearing or speech difficulties, and you use
                              a textphone, please call 18001 0800 072 8626.

Comment

Hi - and thank you. I saw these but they all seem to be about meters. I saw that the National Grid have clear rules and amount they are liable for when no supply is available through works, leaks etc., but in my case and having Homecare Boiler Cover, the pipe at the bottom of the boiler came loose and we had hot water and steam spouting out at high pressure all over the kitchen. It was quite frightening. I rang BG and Transco as the hissing noises sounded like gas escaping. I spent two hours putting pots under the constant water flow waiting for help. The transco people arrived first and turned off the water mains and waited for BG. BG spent the rest of the day tyring to figure out what they needed to fix and ordered parts. 3 days later they were due to repair but a different engineer came out and said the parts were not in and in any case they were the wrong ones. Another two days and another engineer and so it went on until a Manager came out and I had three BG engineers here. After ten days they finally fixed it and in all that time we had no heating or hot water. They left us an electric fan heater which I couldn't use much as I had a prepay meter and fan heaters eat up the electric.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X