• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Urgent help required - bailiffs threatening to take my car

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urgent help required - bailiffs threatening to take my car

Hi, I'm new here. Today I had 2 bailiffs knocking at my door from the Court, threatening to take my car from me by Monday 26/11/12 if a debt of just over £2400 was not paid. I'm terrified. I'm a single mother with two kids of 12 and 13, I need my car to get to my job as a healthcare assistant. I do not have the money and do not have any to give them as part payment. There is a small chance my nan may be able to help me with some of the money, and I'm approaching her about this tomorrow. Can they do this? Will they accept part payment (even if it's only £500)? Can I renew my offer of a higher payment schedule than the one i previously offered to them?
    Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you
    Tags: None

Re: Urgent help required - bailiffs threatening to take my car

What is the debt for and which bailiff company is involved, please?
    Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Hi Piptaylor

Dont despair and don't panic.

I have been there and to some extent still am but I now have the amo to deal with it, sound advise will shortly follow I am sure.

As for the car have they taken a levy, seizure ,distraint or walking possession on the car, if not loose it, sell it to your nan for a £1.00 , best friend, if so move/hide it yes it is an offence, but while your sorting out the advise that will follow, it will give you breathing space. Do not let them have it, the costs of getting it back will be huge.

Do not be panicked into thinking you have to pay ever higher amounts of re-payments you don't your circumstances suggest you will probably have a clearly demonstrable small amount of disposable income, a reasonable offer on this basis would not be refused by a court and will be frowned upon by the court if a reasonable offer is rejected by the bailiff.

Your in control.

Birdman

Comment

Hi, can you prove the car is used for you work, if you can they cannot take it as far as I am aware.
        I have highlighted your thread for the baillifs experts!

Please, dont panic. BB is one of the bests, and hes an ex policeman too, your safe now.

Comment

Hi Piptaylor,

Please don't worry. It would be good if you can answer Bluebottle's questions please. The sooner you do thhis,the sooner we can help.

This link takes you to a list of 'Stickies' - information posts depending on what your debt is for. You may find the appropriate one helpful.

http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...Bailiff-Issues

PLEASE make sure you read the one entitled, "Dealing With Bailiffs for the First Time" as well.

Birdman, your advice is good EXCEPT it is clear from the post a Walking Possession has not taken place, so the car has not been levied upon. The OP states that the bailiff made the threat to do it, not that he has levied anything. There is no mention of signing or being asked to sign paperwork, so I assume the car is safe.

Piptaylor is therefore advised strongly to move it a few streets away so the bailiff cannot find it to levy on.

Comment

Could the OP please confirm whether these two "bailiffs" showed identification at all?

Unfortunately, Certificated Bailiffs (Private Bailiffs) have a nasty habit of calling themselves "Court Bailiffs", which is not only naughty it is also illegal. Genuine Court Bailiffs will produce a credit card-sized identification card with Her Majesty's Courts and Tribunals Service printed on it, enclosed within a blue pouch. Certificated Bailiffs have a yellow postcard-sized identification card with their photo in the top centre, overstamped with the seal of the county court that issued the certificate and the whole thing is encapsulated in clear film.

Could the OP advise what the debt relates to, please? It is difficult to offer help to the OP if this information is not available.

Comment

LOL! BB - we MUST stop crossing posts. This time you did it to me!

Comment

Great minds think alike, eh?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X