• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Pregnancy and redundancy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pregnancy and redundancy

My wife's employer is in the middle of a redundancy program. She is not at risk but has asked if voluntary redundancy is available. She is pregnant and due to start maternity leave early December. The people being made redundant are redundant with effect 31 dec. The other people taking redundancy have been given statutory redundancy plus 3 months paid in lieu of notice plus 20% bonus plus they have been on gardening leave from now to end dec. My wife has only been offered her enhanced maternity pay (full pay for 14 weeks) plus 3 months paid notice with no bonus. Is it legal to offer my wife less than the other people?
    Tags: None

Re: Pregnancy and redundancy

only if she has been formally been put "at risk" of redundency

VR is different from normal redundency though it is customary to ask if anybody would take VR before anybody is made compulsory redundant

thats what a consultation period is for

Comment

Have to agree with Militant here, the others are not taking voluntary redunandacy and all they are getting is 3 months pay in lieu and 20% bonus. Whilst your wife has volunteered for Redundancy and is getting the full maternity pay and 3 months in lieu.

Though if the 20% bonus is more than what your wife would get in maternity pay, then you may have something there. But i suspect the bonus is no where near the amount that your wife gets for maternity pay.

Though one thing you should consider is whether your wife has actually accured any bonus or is or would be entitled to any bonus if she had not volunteered for redundancy, because if she is then she should be paid any accured bonus or bonus entitlement as well. But it all depends on how the companies bonus structure works and what the entitlement to said bonus is and when it is accured.
      Last edited by teaboy2; 22nd November 2012, 00:05:AM.
      Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

My wife will be entitled to a bonus and the package she is being offered for redundancy is about the same as the value of the benefits and pay she would get if she resigned at the end of her at leave. She is unlikely to take the redundancy unless they improve the offer.

Comment

SO what your saying is the statutory redundancy pay she is entitled too, and the maternity pay added on top along with accured bonus entitledment is the same as she would get if she simply resigned. I find that difficult to believe

Can you elaborate as to what the benefits are if she were to resign?
          Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

Originally posted by teaboy2 View Post
            SO what your saying is the statutory redundancy pay she is entitled too, and the maternity pay added on top along with accured bonus entitledment is the same as she would get if she simply resigned. I find that difficult to believe

Can you elaborate as to what the benefits are if she were to resign?
            • 20% Bonus
            • Healthcare for 1 year (I've valued this at ~£200 per month but we will get even more value from it because my wife will have a planned caesarian that the health cover would pay for)
            • 5% pension contribution for 1 year
            • Life insurance for 1 year
            • Holiday accrued during mat leave paid in lieu

Plus the right to return to work after mat leave!

Comment

PLANNED CAESARIAN

unless it is a recomendation from the doctors for health reasons, why a caesarian, "to posh to push"

why not a natural birth

sorry, going off topic

sorry going off topic

Comment

Originally posted by miliitant View Post
                PLANNED CAESARIAN
                unless it is a recomendation from the doctors for health reasons, why a caesarian, "to posh to push"
                why not a natural birthc
                She's definitely not too posh to push. She'd love to push. However she pushed with our first and caused some permanent damage and she'd have two (twins) to push this time!

Comment

sorry, did not mean to offend but this was a fad started with no medical reasons for it

the only time a caesarian should be used is if their is a risk to mother/baby

two thousend years of births cant be wrong

Comment

Originally posted by miliitant View Post
                    sorry, did not mean to offend but this was a fad started with no medical reasons for it

the only time a caesarian should be used is if their is a risk to mother/baby

two thousend years of births cant be wrong
                    I agree that 'the only time a caesarian should be used is if their is a risk to mother/baby'. In our case we have a high risk of severe ongoing health issues for the mother and her NHS consultants have recommended planned caesarian.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                    X