• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Hi, new on here. Need help about Tesco & sickness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi, new on here. Need help about Tesco & sickness

Hi

Don't know if I am writing this in the right place, so feel free to push me in another direction!!

I work 3 shifts totallying 14 hours per week over 3 days for the instituation commonly known as Tesco. I have been with the company since May 2004.

In May this year I went out for a meal and got food posioning and was unable to do a 3.5 shift the following day. I had not been off with illness for a long time before that. Then in October this year, both of my sons (age 6 + 9) were ill on different days of different weeks. One son has a rare blood condition called HSP so we have to keep a really careful eye on him. In any event, we simply don't have the backup of carers to look after them when they are ill (not that I ever want my sick children to be looked after anyone other than me - period). I made my hours back at a different time through the week as I can't afford the drop in wages.

Then this week, I came down with an horrendous cough/sore throat/cold bug. I wasn't too bad for my evening shift of 3.5 hrs on Monday evening, I felt bloomin awful on the Tuesday but still crawled into work and by Wednesday, couldn't get out of bed, so called in sick. If I don't get paid, then I don't get paid - we'll manage somehow.

What does bother me is after the second son becoming ill (& me then making up thse missed hours) - I was called in for sickness review meeting. I was told at this meeting that my Sickness record was over the 3% allowance (it was something like 3.42%) and I had to "explain" myself. Which I duly did - the Managers on Duty then decided "at this stage - no further action will be taken, however if you have time off in the future, this and any other meetings concerning your attendance will be taken into consideration and you may possibly receive a Written Warning - which can effectively lead to your dissmissal".

My next shift is not until Monday, and although I'm still not 100% better, I will be well enough to attend work.

I know I have to have a "welcome back" interview, followed by an "Attendance Review" meeting. I feel very very strongly that I should not get a written warning for my attendance. As already stated, I made up the lost hours and my children are still only 6 + 9 and can not be left alone when they are well, never mind when they are ill.

What can I do to fight my corner, without being labelled a trouble-causer!!

Thanks in anticipation
    Tags: None

Re: Hi, new on here. Need help about Tesco & sickness

is it future sixkness within the next 12 months the poss of getting a written warning

Comment

I know what Tesco are like, my son used to work at the Tesco here, he was off once with pleurisy ,and another time he was stabbed [ by his girlfriends ex, who he had never met,so had no arguments with] and in hospital for a few weeks, he had the same problem you cant fight them, they have RULES, and however bad the situation is, you still have to have these interviews, when my son was stabbed he obviously couldnt go into work, but they had no sympathy at all,
      He was told the same as you, if he was off again he might be dismissed,
      It was a different matter though if one of their bakers didnt turn in, they would ring him at all hours,even if he had been out on the evening and shouldnt be driving or even using machinery,he was expected to go in,
      He now is a baker at Sainsburys, they are just as bad with these back to work interviews
      I am sorry i cant give you any better news or advice, you cant beat the big Supermarkets, no one is indispensable these days

Comment

They go on what's happened in the past six months. So they will look at the % six months back from the last missed shift (Wednesday).

Comment

Thanks anyway.

My main issue is I may have had two shifts off but I did make the hours back in the same week. they have not had to pay me for work I havn't done. I wondered why they would be allowed to give written warnings for having time off when your children are sick and when you want to make hours up.

Comment

I used to work for a large supermarket as a supervisor as far as I was aware if any of our employees were off because one of there children were ill that did not go on there sickness record
            nic xo

Comment

Originally posted by Nic View Post
              I used to work for a large supermarket as a supervisor as far as I was aware if any of our employees were off because one of there children were ill that did not go on there sickness record
              you are correct

its called dependants leave

it can go on the record but with no action taken

Comment

So, let me get this right, when I am called in on Monday to check back in for work and then asnwer to my recent bad run, if they threatened me or even issued a written warning - I can reasonably say that it was "dependants leave" and if they feel they need to record it that's fine but no action must be taken???

Thanks in advance

Comment

Yes

as long as they have noted the reason when you phoned work it was to do with child care

their is case law to even back that up as it comes under the equalities act

they do not have to pay you though, thats at the discretion of your line manager

as a rule in comes under special leave

only bring it up if they decide to issue an attendance warning
                  Last edited by miliitant; 9th November 2012, 15:59:PM.

Comment

Originally posted by miliitant View Post
                    Yes

their is case law to even back that up as it comes under the equalities act

they do not have to pay you though, thats at the discretion of your line manager

as a rule in comes under special leave

only bring it up if they decide to issue an attendance warning
                    I have actually worked the hours I missed so they havn't paid me for anything I havn't done and I don't owe them anything. So the "pay" issue shouldn't really matter.

It was more a matter of principle that I felt issuing me a written warning when 2 of the last days off were becuase I had to look after my children.

Thanks so much for taking the time to help me, I'll let you know how I get on.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X