• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

CT problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CT problems

Hi All,

Not sure where we need to go with this - if anywhere, so advice please .....

From October 2011 - June 2012 my Partner was unemployed and claiming Housing and CT benefits (I had moved out so he could claim as a single person as it would have been impossible to live on purely my wages alone) The HB & CT were all paid upto June 2012 when he started a new job, he informed the Council that he had commenced work and he would no longer be claiming the CT benefit so could they please send him a revised copy of his CT bill showing the new payments, adding me back on as I had moved back in and he also set up a new Direct Debit. At the end of July we received a new copy of the CT bill showing the new amount to be paid and that the first payment was due to be taken 01/08/12, BUT it still showed him as receiving the single person discount, so he called them and asked them to resend another revised bill without the single persons discount as I was now living back there. The DD was not taken on 01/08/12 (wasn't taken on 01/09 or 01/10 either), but we assumed this was because the amount would be different when the new bill was sorted. The original (incorrect) bill had taken over 6 weeks to arrive so was not unduly worried that we hadn't received the latest revised version by the end of August, beginning of September, we received a letter stating that they were going to court on 15th October to obtain an LO against my Partner for unpaid CT - which was granted. We have had a letter from Chandlers saying they want the full amount within 10 days and to call to arrange payment (we haven't called them) or they will be "calling round" .... to date we still have not seen a copy of the revised CT bill. Is there anywhere to go with this, or do we just have to pay up? We dont dispute the fact we owe the money, and would have happily paid had we actually known how much we were supposed to be paying, its more the principal of the fact that we tried to be honest and let the Council know about me moving back in and end up in this mess!!

Thanks.
    One life - Live it!
    Tags: None

Re: CT problems

I would call the council, or go in to see them with your other half, and explain the situation. Clearly a mistake has been made and it is up to them to put it right. Be prepared for them to ask why you didn't get in contact when they first mentioned court, as this would have been the ideal thing to do.

Just in case, remember you do not have to deal with any bailiffs. Don't let them in, don't speak to them, and don't leave any vehicles outside on which they could levy. Have literally nothing to do with them - they won't like it, but tough!

Have a read of this as well, just in case:

http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...67-Council-Tax

Comment

** UPDATE **

My Partner has done the unthinkable and contacted the baliffs (does he ever listen to anything I tell him grrr!!) Anyway ...they were actually (almost) human and agreed that it had been badly dealt with by the Council and agreed to my Partner paying half the amount owed this month and half next month with no more calls / letters etc - £300 each month. I dont have a problem paying this money, we owe it and will pay it but coming up to xmas its money we could really do without spending in one go. Is it possible to pay this to the Council directly each month on automated payment line? If we were to do this we could pay say £120 per month and have the account up to date by the time next years CT starts? Would we have to notify the Council that this is what we want to do, or is it too late now that the LO has been granted and are we stuck with paying Chandlers?

** As an aside, we complain about the baliffs on here an awful lot (with good cause) but have to say I am pleasantly surprised by the attitude of Chandlers in the THREE times we have dealt with them (all CT errors on the side of the Council) other than one neanderthal knuckle dragging ugg who almost took the front door off the hinges a couple of years ago, they have always been polite, helpful and *shock horror* understanding.
      One life - Live it!

Comment

​Beware the Wolf in Sheeps clothing ,hun......

Comment

Yes, you may indeed pay the Council direct via online banking, Council website or automated phone line. If you do this is best done weekly - say £10 every Thursday as an example. However you can expect further visits from the Bailiff should you do this.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X