• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Totally befuddled..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Totally befuddled..

I am confused over a matter where my OC did not send me a DN ....until 2 years after I defaulted

Briefly, I missed payments on a CC and eventually (3months or so) the OC agreed a token payment
    would be ok. This went on for a year and half.

After this they got fed up, sent me a DN and passed it on to their in house debt team.

My question is, should the OC have sent a DN when the account went into arrears ?

The reason I am asking is that this all started 6 years ago, so if they had sent a DN straight away,
    wouldn't the 6 years nearly be up now and the DN on my CRA file would be due for removal ?

Or have i got this all wrong ?
    Tags: None

Re: Totally befuddled..

You haven't got it all wrong. Normally they default you after about 90 days. However, some less pleasant creditors will leave it as long as possible to place the default so that your CRF is wrecked for muchlonger than it need be.

Comment

Thanks Labman. The thing that's going round in my head though is have I read somewhere that there is a time limit to be complied with in issuing DN's. Once a 'contract' has been breached (by my lack of meeting payment requirements) then doesn't that place the contract in default, or is it the issuing of a DN that places it in default ?

Which is true ?

As it happens, the OC did agree a 'variation' to accept notional payments to assist me. It was only when they concluded that I'd had enough time to return to contractual payments that they got rid, and issued the DN and made the subsequent CRA entry.

In complete contrast, I had another account with another OC at the same time and their stance was that an immediate DN was required to 'enable' them to provide me with terms outside the contract, ie notional payments. In this case the CRA entry expires next month.

Comment

The creditor cannot take legal action without issuing a DN. This is normally after 3- 6 missed payments, but there is no specific time limit for doing it. The link below may be helpful:

http://www.payplan.com/debt-library/...lt-notices.php

Once a valid DN has been issued, you have failed to comply and the account is formally in default, the ICO expects the default to be recorded on your credit file within 6 months from the date the default occurred.

At least that is my understanding. :beagle:

Comment

Thank you. Sometimes when creditors say things like 'we must do xxx " it gives the impression they are acting in response to some law but in reality it is often just their own internal processes and procedures they are talking about. Hence creditor B who said we 'have to default your account to enable us to offer you revised terms....." while creditor A offered revised terms and only defaulted when they passed it on.

thanks for the link too

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X