• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Great British Discounts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great British Discounts

HI
    Has anyone else had any dealings with these.

My Mrs has an account with littlewoods. She recently placed an order and on the confirmation invoice there was a box which said click her for a £20 bonus offer.

Usually this gives an order code which gives a discount off your nest order, but this time it took you to the above website.

Thinking that this was authorized by littlewoods, she entered our details in the form and sent it off. She was then sent a form which she apparently had to print off and send to the above company(by snail mail), and she would receive a pre loaded, pre pay debit card with £20 of credit on it within thirty days.

When i learned of this i thought i would have a look a the T and Cs mentioned in the welcome letter in very small type.
    Apparently she had joined a club which promised to provide discount vouchers to high street outlets, and also apparently there was a fee which would be debited from our account, either monthly or annually, I could not see what exactly the amount was anywhere on the paperwork.

I rang Littlewoods this morning, and they know nothing about this firm, although the company clearly states that they require a copy of the litlewoods order to process the free offer.

Something very dodgy here. How did they manage to get their link on the conformation invoice from littlewoods in the first place is what i want to know?

D
    Tags: None

Re: Great British Discounts

It's looks like a mini version of Groupon or perhaps Quidco, ie that it is a site that offers discount voucher codes. I think it might be worth an email to the CEO of ShopDirect who owns littlewoods asking why this is the case.
    Here is the email addy: alex.baldock@shopdirect.com

"Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

This company may or may not be legitimate,they do it seems monitor these forums I have just received this pm.

Dear davyb,

I would like to assure you that the promotion you refer to was authorized by little-woods and their reply to your phone call has caused some concern, We will be in touch with both littlewoods and Shop direct to clarify the situation.

In order to ensure your query is dealt with effectively, please contact their dedicated customer service team where one of their experienced customer service agents will be happy to assist you in resolving the matter accordingly. Please contact them directly using one of the following options or alternatively please feel free to send me a private message.

Great British Discounts Customer Service Team
      Opening Hours: Monday to Friday, 8am – 8PM
      Telephone: 08000 394053
      Email: customerservice@greatbritishdiscounts.co.uk.

Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Yours Sincerely,

Great British Discounts Customer Service Team

I Have responded with this.

Thanks for the reply, this is a consumer help forum and it would be of use if we could clear this matter up on the open thread, so please feel free to respond on there. I have copied your PM so that it can be viewed by other members.

D
      Last edited by davyb; 15th October 2012, 15:00:PM.

Comment

If they do not have the cajones to post on here then they should not really bothering to send emails to you on the forum....
        "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
        (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

That is strange! Certainly looks like they're monitoring the forum or the phone calls to Littlewoods.

Comment

I'd cancel your 'membership' sharpish or they will start charging £14.95 per month
            Last edited by michael; 15th October 2012, 13:13:PM.

Comment

Well I am a great believer in giving everyone a chance so if they want to state their case on here, I am sure we will all give them a fair hearing.

I will say this though i just rang the fraud people at shoppers direct and they said that they had no knowledge, also that they would never direct any of their customers to a website that asked for debit or credit card details.

The website does indeed say that you join a club, but i could see anything in their T and C's about how much the membership fees are, in fact i can't remember seeing anything on the application that even mentioned membership fees.

I rang the number and you are correct Micheal, they will be taking £14.95 out of my bank after the 30 day trial period. I suppose that this is fair enough but it would have been nice to have this made clear on the application for the FREE offer.

Regarding the free offer, apparently you have to print the form from their e-mail and send this by post together with a littlewoods invoice.
              Why would that be ?

Littlewoods know nothing about this, and why by post, why could the application not be processed and the free gift dispatched via the information given on line?
              I see you are observing this thread perhaps an answer or two?

D

Comment

Originally posted by davyb View Post
                Well I am a great believer in giving everyone a chance so if they want to state their case on here, I am sure we will all give them a fair hearing.
                Or they could just explain it all on their website. the fact that they don't says it all.

I will say this though i just rang the fraud people at shoppers direct and they said that they had no knowledge, also that they would never direct any of their customers to a website that asked for debit or credit card details.
                Littlewoods are claimed to one of the parent company's clients
                http://www.l-ev8marketing.com/our-clients/

There are several complaints on the net from people who have also signed up via Flybe and Raileasy

The website does indeed say that you join a club, but i could see anything in their T and C's about how much the membership fees are, in fact i can't remember seeing anything on the application that even mentioned membership fees.

That's because it's not there, anywhere, at all

I rang the number and you are correct Micheal, they will be taking £14.95 out of my bank after the 30 day trial period. I suppose that this is fair enough but it would have been nice to have this made clear on the application for the FREE offer.

Regarding the free offer, apparently you have to print the form from their e-mail and send this by post together with a littlewoods invoice.
                Why would that be ?
                Because then they can delay sending it, there are tales of the card arriving but no credit on it etc, and by the time it arrives you've forgotten about the 30 day free trial and the £14.95 monthly continuous payment authority you agreed to clicks in, which a surprising amount of people probably wouldn't even notice on their statements
                You seem very relaxed about this, I would be cancelling immediately

Comment

Originally posted by michael View Post
                  You seem very relaxed about this, I would be cancelling immediately
                  You know me Micheal I believe everything people tell me, I had a feeling that may be the answer but i was hoping that the rep. would have given me a less sinister explanation.

I think i will leave cancelling my card/order and see if the Free gift arrives as promised. You never know, if it does i will donate the £20 to this forum.

I will keep you all updated.

D

Comment

Comment

Please stop and think about this. Cancel before it's too late. I'm positive you will regret it if you don't.

Comment

Ooops, I just joined here after finding this thread on a search for Great British Discounts, now I see OP is banned, so no point me posting my issue here until I try to phone them tomorrow to fix the issue, but if anyone has any updated info about them I would be grateful if you can let me know! I also went to them via my catalogue (Grt Universal) after placing an order. Thanks in advance if anyone has any info.

Comment

I've had a lot of problems with Great British Discounts after accepting a £30 Prepaid Mastercard offer through Littlewoods after purchasing a new freezer.
                          The Littlewoods site stated that this was 'just for you' for being a customer.
                          I was directed to a site which turned out to be Great British Discounts and it requested my card details which I gave as I knew I could easily cancel the card.
                          I was asked to send proof of my purchase from Littlewoods and in return I would be sent a £30 Prepaid Mastercard which I could just take to an ATM to claim my reward.
                          However, it is not like that at all. They require that the card is first registered and this process involves handing over highly sensitive and personal information eg, Name, address, DOB, place of birth and Driving Licence or Passport registration numbers as I refused to enter this information the card could not be activated. All I am fobbed off with is that it is in the 'small print' in the letter I was sent, in fact, I was sent no correspondence whatsoever.
                          I was told that I have to apply for the credit card which I said was rubbish as a. I don't want one and b, there is no way I would need to give such highly personal information to get a credit card. All I wanted was the promised £30 prepaid card.
                          I have rang the company twice and drawn a blank both times with promises of investigation but no return phone calls which have been promised on both occasions. The information they request could be used for cloning or fraud.
                          There is something really funny going on here and Great British Discounts should be thoroughly investigated as they do not deliver what they promise.

Comment

Contact Trading Standards

Comment

I stupidly did the same thing, but on the MyVue cinema website after booking tickets. I signed up, but got suspicious when it redirected me to a different website and I did stupidly enter my deatails, however I didn't confirm my registration or email address with the link they sent me. Do you recon I'm safe from these monthly fees?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X