• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Car insurance: Proof of no claims bonus

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car insurance: Proof of no claims bonus

Hi....my last insurance broker is refusing to release my proof of no claims bonus to my new broker as I have not yet paid the cancellation fee+outstanding amount! around £70! I cannot afford to pay this as I am a pensioner living off state pension + pension credits. I have contacted the Ombudsman who is writing on my behalf to my underwriters as a complaint but this will take some time to resolve. In the meantime I have two weeks before my current broker doubles my premium from £13 to £36 if they do not receive proof of no claims bonus. Has anyone else had this experience and if so can you help!
    Tags: None

Re: Car insurance: Proof of no claims bonus

Hi...

I am not sure if they can withold this information.....have you asked your new broker to write to them requesting it? I know from personal experience that they do transfer info between themslves, as this was the case with my no-claims when i changed. Do you mean brokers, or insurance underwriters. A broker basically sets the policy up for you for a fee. The insurance provider is the one that requires proof of no-claims to calculate the cost.

Comment

Yes my new broker Halifax have requested proof of ncb from initial broker Onesure ins but this has not been forthcoming as of yet. The REAL Insurers/underwriters are the same in both cases Providen/Covea (changed from Provident as from 1 Oct 2012)! When I contacted Prov myself they stated that they had proof of ncb already but they could not release this information!! I find this very weird!

Comment

I suspect the above might resolve itself when the ombudsman has written to the broker. They probably will not want to pay a £500 case fee for the matter to go to them.

Not sure what the situation is with brokers and their fees but I think insurers can withold NCD if there are premium arrears. However, the other angle could be that if the money is made up mainly of cancellation charges, the ombudsman might consider cancellation charges which are excessive or not highlighted when the policy sold as unfair. In the meantime I would try and talk to the new broker. I would think they could delay the increase until the matter is sorted.

Comment

If you have a full no claims bonus then you will lose nothing by using the last renewal notice.
          Since you mention " cancellation fee+outstanding amount" I'm assuming you didn't get this one as you cancelled early.

I should try using your old renewal notice that will have your no claims amount on it.

Comment

They must issue your proof of no claims by law no matter how much you owe them just be a bit more forceful on the phone to them

Cheers Brian

Comment

Brian,

Where in law does it actually say this? The best I can find is that it must tell you in the Terms and Conditions of your Policy Document. As far as I can ascertain it only affects people who spread their payments over a number of months.

Comment

Why don't you go direct to the insurance company and ask for your PNCB and cut out the broker, just tell them that it got lost in the post and that you need it desperately for your your new insurance. If they tell you to go to the broker just say that you would prefer not to use them and could they send out direct to you to save time as they are not your broker any more.

Originally posted by shirleyann View Post
                Hi....my last insurance broker is refusing to release my proof of no claims bonus to my new broker as I have not yet paid the cancellation fee+outstanding amount! around £70! I cannot afford to pay this as I am a pensioner living off state pension + pension credits. I have contacted the Ombudsman who is writing on my behalf to my underwriters as a complaint but this will take some time to resolve. In the meantime I have two weeks before my current broker doubles my premium from £13 to £36 if they do not receive proof of no claims bonus. Has anyone else had this experience and if so can you help!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X