• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

BIL's car - Stolen or not Stolen pmsl

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BIL's car - Stolen or not Stolen pmsl

This is long please bear with me lol I'm crying with laughter writing this, its unbelievable.

So, on Monday my BIL goes to Bluewater shopping with his other half, they parks up and do the usual, a bit of shopping, lunch and so on, a few hours later they go to pick up the car and bingo the car is gone, big panic, they find the security officer who says I'm sure you've just forgotten where you've parked it Sir, we've never had a car stolen from here ever, my BIL says 'I can assure you, I remember perfectly where I parked it, its been stolen', so the coppers are called, the coppers say 'no ones ever stolen a car from here, you must have forgotten where you parked it', after much too-ing and fro-ing, they establish that the car is in fact gone.

The car in question is a two year old Jaguar XF, he paid over £40 K for it, its seen on the CCTV going in to the car park but its not seen coming out, its now been assumed that the car has been targeted and the number plates have been changed and its on its way in a container to Abu Dhabi or whatever other place they go to. In the car is my BIL North Face jacket, his prescription sun glasses and the clicker to open the gates where he lives.

He lives in a gated complex of apartments with security gates/security guards, plus security doors that only open for a couple of hours in the morning to give access to the postman to the little boxes downstairs, the milkman and any workmen.

On Tuesday he reports the incident to the insurers, he knows as an ex owner of an insurance brokers that he's not going to get paid out the full value to replace the car so is not in the best of moods.

Today he got a letter from Newlyns, saying that they lifted his car on Monday and have taken it to Northampton that he has to pay £1,035.00 to recover the car. So he phones them apparently....

Sometime last year (I've no idea of dates) he rushed my SIL to her uncles hospital as he was seriously ill, apparently my BIL drove down a bus lane, since then he has had no correspondence at all, no phone calls no nothing.

Tomorrow he's going up to Northampton to pay the bill, collect the car and then go to the court and swear on some document that he's never received any contact at all from Newlyns. Although they are saying that they knocked on his door at different times of the day, pretty impossible as the place is more secure than Fort Knox so we know for sure that Newlyns are lying through their teeth.

But it gets better.... lets just say he lives at 103 St Giles Court, Newtown, New England, he looked at the letter he received today and the letter has his name and St Giles Court, Newtown, no number, so he went to the local sorting office, spoke to them and they say that the only reason he got the letter is because today he had another letter addressed to him so the postman put the two letters in the little cubby hole thing where each apartment has their own little locked box for post. The post people said that any post with no door number would be automatically returned to sender.

Wait it gets ever better again, he has to take his driving licence and log book with him to collect the car, proof of ID and all that and he notices that the log book has St Giles Court, Newtown, no number, he phones the car dealers and it seems that when they sold him the car they didn't put the number on the paperwork.

Now apparently Bluewater has automatic numberplate readers which flag up any 'wanted' cars, that's how Newlyn's knew where the car was, and they sent in the removal firm, they say they stuck a note on it and went back four hours later, but how the hell did they get it out without it showing on the CCTV, surely they'd have noticed it on the back of a truck ?

Now apart from the fact that my BIL is ok for money, that we can see the funny side of this (I'm strange like that), he is going to appeal against the charge by the way but what I want to know is can he 'go after' the car dealer for not filling in the paperwork properly in the first place, because if it had been none of this would have happened. Also if there is any damage at all to the car, excessive mileage or anything missing can he claim.
    Last edited by Sapphire; 11th October 2012, 18:30:PM.
    Tags: None

Re: BIL's car - Stolen or not Stolen pmsl

I'm sure this thread is going a long,long way, lol.
    I would be questioning Bluewater's connection with the baliffs, as well. I think they may have involved a company called APCOA, who are looking after the car park and do all the dirty-work. Strange no piccies of it going out....i think he needs to confirm if it was lifted on a truck or was driven out....

Good luck!!

Comment

Thanks hun, thinking we'll get the car back then when you've all posted you're thoughts I'll get a letter put together and ask all the questions then.

Comment

OH MY FWECKING GAWD lmao

Comment

PMSL what makes it worse is that we drove over there to pick them up and spent ages on the sodding M25 and I never even got to look round the shops.

Comment

but what I want to know is can he 'go after' the car dealer for not filling in the paperwork properly in the first place
            Unlikely. On the front of the V5C it says:

You must make sure that the name and addresss printed here is correct. If it is not, see section 12

Comment

Thanks for that Michael, much appreciated.

Comment

OBVIOUS QUESTION

HAS THE CAR PARK OPERATORS GOT THEIR OWN ANPR

have they some sort of commission thing going with the balliff companies

APOCCA do all the parking tickets in london. well they did a few years ago

Comment

If APCOA have been disclosing any form of data to bailiff companies, that could amount to a breach of the DPA. Check that one out, Sapphy.
                  Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Blimey, what a tale !!! At least he's getting his beloved Jag back, but it sure stinks of Big brother, dunnit ?

I don't know how the ANPR cameras work, but perhaps if the car is on a lifting truck, then the camera will only 'see' the lifting truck's plate, and not the car that's on the back. But the problem seems to me that your BIL was not properly notified of his original misdemeanour, through no fault of his own. He was therefore unable to defend himself or pay the original FPN, which clearly cannot have been properly served. Sure, perhaps his address should have been complete on his VRD, but if DVLA were happy with his address, then so far, nobody is really at fault.

So, whoever was responsible for issuing the FPN should have ensured it had been properly issued, surely ? If the Post Office confirm that any mail without a house or flat number will be returned to sender (and hopefully, this is public domain info) - then the FPN issuer will have had the ticket returned un-served. To then put the car itself on to a 'wanted' list is where I think they went wrong. I believe they should have made sure the FPN had been properly served before doing this. Obviously, the DVLA record is no use in this case, but I don't think it would take too much effort to 'join up' the rest of BIL's name and address details to come up with an address at which the FPN could then be 'lawfully served.' Whoever had the responsibility to do this, and failed, is the one to blame IMHO. APCOA, NCP, Newlyns or whoevva were simply acting on information wrongly passed to them.

Comment

Thanks everyone I'll give him all the info, I suspect he will going to his lawyers about this, so anything anyone can flag up it will be a massive help.

Comment

millitant has hit it on the head. if it's not APOCCA then it's a similar outfit. This we presume is private land, and not under highways regulation. Lot of questions there.
                        This has all come about from a traffic offence that has been dealt with by a local magistrates to the offence place. Now, is it not logical that if it's gone this far, with summons and failure to appear, that the magistrate considers checking the address details? Would not a simple postcode search on post office web site reveal that there is more than one address under the post code? Would a simple search of the electoral register possibly reveal the correct address?
                        If the baliffs claim that they have knocked on the door numerous times, is it worth asking them to demonstrate the door they have been banging?

Comment

Not too sure on this one as never been to Bluewater.....are the barriers big enough for a truck to get through, or has it been let in through a service entrance. Maybe that's why it's not on camera going out.......

Comment

Whatever, APCOA may be party to an offence at law. Let's see them and Newlyn talk their way out it.
                            Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

http://www.britishparking.co.uk/writ...wenty%20in.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X