• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

How to disconnect a mobile phone contract.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to disconnect a mobile phone contract.

Ok, firstly I'm not teaching my grandmother to suck eggs here guys, there have been loads of threads, I have a mobile phone contract I thought I cancelled, and the disconnection process has got a strictly set out format. Most advisors cannot deviate from this format, and truth be told are as much use as a fart in a space suit.

"FIXED TERM CONTRACTS".

These are you 12/18/24 month contracts.
    The terms and condtions on these are simple.
    If you take the contract out in store you have you statutory 28 days, but no cool off period as you can physically see the phone you are receiving and have spoken to a human regarding the phone itself.
    You can increase your tarrif (calling plan) at any time but will not receive a new phone, and you can downgrade (lower) your tariff after 9 months of connection. Your upgrade and cancellation date is in your last month of contract, so 11th month for a 12 month contract, 17th month for an 18 month contract, or your 23rd month on a 24 month contract.
    If you chose to disconnect, you must let them know in this last month (DO NOT JUST CANCEL THE DIRECT DEBIT!!!!)

Normally the company will put you through to retentions and they will beg plead and borrow to keep you, listen to their offers as the deals they make can be very good.
    DO NOT decide or Joe Bloggs Ltd will give me an Xbox I'm not taking anything else, the amount of subs they put on that contract can buy you an xbox 4 times over, and sometimes the money you save taking a "save deal" will buy you an xbox over time!

If you decide you simply cannot stand the company/too expensive/ you've won the lottery and are buying the most expensive handset and really dont care how much you spend, then you need to state clearly for the benefit of any tape, that you decline the offers and ask for 30 days notice of disconnection to be set. Ask for the date your contract will end. This ensures the disconnection is set.

If you cancel before the last 30 days of contract, you WILL incur termination fees, unless you have been given free disconnection for bad service/problems/network issues. In that case, get the advisors name and extention number (they HAVE to give you it) and keep this in a safe place until you final bill.
    Remember to save any numbers on your phone as once your contract finishes you lose all info on the SIM card!

Sim Only/30 Day Contracts.

This is where the problem normally starts.
    With a 30 day contract you still need to give a 30 days notice period to cancel. Unless they hear from you that you want the contract to end, it will simply roll on and on and you will be liable for line rental. Any refund on line rental due to you simply not using the phone is at the operators discretion and if you have used just 1 minute in the past 60 days YOU GET NOTHING BACK!!
    This is simply because you would have known the contract to be active.

PAC Codes.

Another misconception is a PAC code cancels a contract directly.
    This is not the case. A PAC code is short for Port Authorisation Code and is simply the OK from Puff's mobiles Ltd to Puff Cellphones R Us to take the number away. The onus is on YOU to register this with your new provider, in fact with the exception of the Deaf and Speech impaired, this cannot be done by anyone but the account holder.
    You simply ask your current supplier (sorry if i spelt current like the one in a bread pudding, its a word I can never spell) for a PAC code, ring up your new one and say you would like to register it.
    This is the important bit: UNLESS YOU DO THIS, THE PAC CANCELS ITSELF AND YOUR CONTRACT CONTINUES!
    A port takes 48 hours normally and you will lose service during this time. You also need to be in the UK (well your phone does) so no nipping to Monte Carlo on the day of your port.. or leave your phone at home at least!

ALWAYS REMEMBER TO NOTE DOWN YOUR NUMBERS AND CONTACT DETAILS, ONCE THAT CONTRACT ENDS, YOU LOSE IT ALL!!!

Hope this has been useful to you and if I can help with any other aspects of a mobile problem, please PM me and I will do all I can.
    My expertise is in disconnection, but I have some knowledge on other parts of the mobile industry

BLIMEY!! did I type all that?
    No wonder my wrists are hanging off
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X