• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Excel Civil Enforcement... Doubling up fines

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excel Civil Enforcement... Doubling up fines

Hi all

I am new to this site so please bear with me..

Having been fined £115 for no tv licence, I agreed to pay £5 every other week as iam only on £50 a week benefits out of which I pay £25 towards my rent as iam under 25 i cant claim full housing benefit, £10 a week on Electric , which leaves me £15 for food and sundries ( not a lot ).

The agreement was made over the phone that i would pay every other week. After paying 2 payments I received a letter saying i had to pay £5 every week and the added £100 to the total cost and stated a payment of £23 was reqiured within 5 days. no chance of that.

Now another letter has come and they have added another £200 making the debt over £400. So i cant make even the minimum payment at all.

Not sure what to do next ....Can anybody give me some advice.

I have been told they can seize goods to the value of the debt by a friend who had dealings with them.

However i dont own any goods as the flat comes furnished.

How high can they legally keep adding costs like this ?

many thanks brian
    Tags: None

Re: Excel Civil Enforcement... Doubling up fines

Hi Brian,,I can't answer your question directly,but i do wonder if you are on the correct amount of benefits? I'm sure there is a 'poverty' line,,I might be wrong but £50 a week for everything seems a tad low?
    I'm sure someone from here will be along soon to help you with your question tho
    Last edited by Inca; 3rd September 2012, 09:53:AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Hi Thank you
      As iam under 25 I cant claim full housing benefit, I can claim more when iam over 25 thats the rules. thanks any way ...
      brian

Comment

Yoy need to get back on to the Court and advise them you are on Benefits - the monies can be deducted at source. You need to speak to the Fines Officer or Court Manager, do not get into a prolonged discussion with those on the front desk as they will only say you have to deal with the Bailiff.

They may only seize the goods belonging to the debtor and would assume as your home is furnished then you will have an inventory of goods that came with the tenancy.

When you were initially fined did you attend the Hearing? Have you had a Further Steps Notice from the Court prior to the Bailiff being involved?

Comment

Thanks for getting back to me.

I sent a means test form to the court in forming them of my income and outgoings, I could not attend the court due to the expense involved.

The only notice from the court was that the fine was to be paid to Excel within 14 or 28 days not sure which.

I have a new landlord from the 28/08/2012 as the other landlord went bankrupt so not sure what will happen to the furniture , it is very old and not worth much.

thanks again brian

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X