• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

At risk of redundancy group

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At risk of redundancy group

I'm a 27 yr old female working part time in a Customer Services department. I worked for this company for 8 years. 5 months ago the department was going through a big re-structure and the department was to be downsized. We all had to re-apply for our jobs. Sadly, me and two other employees did not make it and we were placed in an 'At Risk Group' with the possibility of being made redundant. I was told I don't have enough contact with clients as I am only able to do 3 days a week. Basically because I'm part time but they weren't aloud to say that. It's funny because seeing as I'm only there for 3days a week out of the whole department I'm always 1st or 2nd in the production figures every month. The company director stated he wanted to avoid redundancies and if possible try and re-deploy us in other departments. The manager told the 'At Risk Group' that if we were to apply for any internal jobs within the company we would be their first choice over anyone.
    I had a letter in July saying that I had until the end of September. They wanted to keep the at risk group in the department for 2 half months, so they didn't fall short while the changes were going on. Since that letter I've heard nothing from HR if they are even going to attempt to re-deploy me and there have been numerous vacancies become available. I was not going to sit around and wait for HR to help, so I applied for three suitable positions. I have since been turned down. They picked 'safe', current employees and agency over me. The last vacancy, I took all the advice I was given from my previous interviews and revised and practiced like my life depended on it but sadly I was turned down, again! I was bloody gutted, it was the final straw. I took it so personally. I don't want to be a push over I want to fight for my rights (if any). I'm feeling embarrassed, demoralized, scared and lost all my confidence. I've also noticed it's effecting my personal life too. I'm worried I won't find another job with all these knock backs and I have a 2 year old child to care for.

What I would like to know is;
    1) Should I have been given an official end date by now? 'end of September is a bit vague!
    2) HR have not made any attempt to re-deploy me or help me with any jobs applied/applying for. It's like they've forgotten and couldn't give two hoots about me. Should they be helping me get a job in another department if they want to avoid redundancies?
    3) Have they a right to employee current 'safe' staff and especially agency over me?
    4) I was told that the 'at risk group' would be their first choice if we were to apply for any internal positions. This is not happening to anyone in the at risk group?

I appreciate any feedback. Thanks
    Tags: None

Re: At risk of redundancy group

Sorry to hear about your trouble, I'm not the one to give you advice on this, someone who knows will pop along either later or tomorrow, so please bear with us.
    Stupid question time, what do you mean by 'safe' employee, I am an employer and am interested in what you mean by this.

Comment

[QUOTE=sapphire;280138]Sorry to hear about your trouble, I'm not the one to give you advice on this, someone who knows will pop along either later or tomorrow, so please bear with us.
      Stupid question time, what do you mean by 'safe' employee, I am an employer and am interested in what you mean by this.[/QUOTE

No not a stupid question. I just mean somebody who already works for the company and they still have a job if they weren't selected for the vacancy. If they weren't picked they still have a job and can carry on working in their current position . As for me, if I didn't get picked I still don't have a job.

Comment

Have they offered you redundancy payment?
        "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
        (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Originally posted by leclerc View Post
          Have they offered you redundancy payment?
          No not officially. When I asked how much I would get they copied and pasted
          information off the governments website and said 'if you were considered for redundancy this is what you'd get'.

I should also add the agency person was offered a permanent position with the company. The agency person had been working for the company for about 12 months. To make matters worse I've since found out that person has handed in their notice after a month. They found another replacement and never even re advertised the vacancy

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X