• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council insisting on financial and personal information.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council insisting on financial and personal information.

Hello

I was expecting to receive a council tax repayment so when £500 was deposited into my bank account by the local council I thought nothing of it. However four months later, and after spending almost all of the money refunded, the council wrote to inform me that they had made an error and the payment was meant for someone else and that I had to return it of course. I confirmed with the council tax dept that they hadn't in fact given me a refund, which is another story.

I responded and offered to pay £150 now and further payments of £10 per month as that is really all I can afford. I have now received from them a financial assessment form (3 pages) which asks private information about my finances, income, expendature, savings, cost of groceries, transport, medication, how many tea bags I use each day (they may as well have done). It also says that then they will be able to tell me where I can make cut backs and how much they say I can afford to pay each month.

My question is, do I HAVE to legally complete this form and provide them with very detailed personal information? I owe the money through what I believe is no fault on my part and I haven't a problem paying it back but I truly can't afford more than what I offered as my salary is quite low.

Thank you in advance for any advice.
    Tags: None

Re: Council insisting on financial and personal information.

No you do not have to fill in a financial assessment form, why they ask you to fill one in is due the fact you have offered £150 now and £10 thereafter, they want to see if they can get more from you. If you are in a position to pay what you offered then keep to that offer. Its their mistake not yours so offer £5 per month if you so wish.

Comment

Originally posted by zingy View Post
      Hello

I was expecting to receive a council tax repayment so when £500 was deposited into my bank account by the local council I thought nothing of it. However four months later, and after spending almost all of the money refunded, the council wrote to inform me that they had made an error and the payment was meant for someone else and that I had to return it of course. I confirmed with the council tax dept that they hadn't in fact given me a refund, which is another story.

I responded and offered to pay £150 now and further payments of £10 per month as that is really all I can afford. I have now received from them a financial assessment form (3 pages) which asks private information about my finances, income, expendature, savings, cost of groceries, transport, medication, how many tea bags I use each day (they may as well have done). It also says that then they will be able to tell me where I can make cut backs and how much they say I can afford to pay each month.

My question is, do I HAVE to legally complete this form and provide them with very detailed personal information? I owe the money through what I believe is no fault on my part and I haven't a problem paying it back but I truly can't afford more than what I offered as my salary is quite low.

Thank you in advance for any advice.
      If you do not want to end up with a bill for the full amount and the subsequent collection action I would fill it in and make a repayment you can afford. The I and E statement will just be a procedural requirement that they have to follow before they can accept installment repayment.

D

Comment

hahahahahaha oh davyb

Comment

This is the council.
          The person dealing with this will not know the OP from Adam , he will have a procedure that he has to follow, if they are to accept part repayments or a repayment plan, he will probably have to have seen a I and E, i know this is the case at my council and i would be very surprised if it were not the same elsewhere.

The council do not try and "get a bit more" out of anyone, the person handling the case will not care he/ she will just be following procedure.

D
          Last edited by davyb; 17th August 2012, 15:53:PM.

Comment

Would that be the councils procedure davyb or the member of staffs procedure?

Zingy just make an offer you can afford and if they refuse then offer it again in cash, cheque, po etc go down to the office and do it. Remember, if they refuse offer again.
            Last edited by legalese; 17th August 2012, 20:45:PM.

Comment

Originally posted by legalese View Post
              Would that be the councils procedure davyb or the member of staffs procedure?

Zingy just make an offer you can afford and if they refuse then offer it again in cash, cheque, po etc go down to the office and do it. Remember, if they refuse offer again.
              Authority procedure of course, if you fill in the I and E they will undoubtedly accept, if you don't they may refer to collections and issue a court order, it make no odds to them, they will get their money anyway, but it would cost you an extra £50 for the order plus bailiff fees if they get a liability order.

D

Comment

Accept what exactly davyb if the op fills in a I & E,

Comment

Originally posted by legalese View Post
                  Accept what exactly davyb if the op fills in a I & E,
                  OK
                  Debt collection 101

I and E statement

The purpose of an Income and expenditure statement is to confirm to the creditor the amount of disposable income available.

This will then enable the creditor to decide if the offer of payment made truly reflect the most the debtor can afford.
                  This is very basic stuff, really if you don't understand this you should not be giving advice.

Future responses on this thread to the OP only.

D

Comment

The purpose of an Income and expenditure statement is to confirm to the creditor the amount of disposable income available.

The OP has put in an offer of £150 and £10 increment payments, they want more davyb, the OP's offer is on the table but the authority is attempting to renegotiate a better offer... getting to understand contract law now davyb.

Comment

Originally posted by davyb View Post
                      OK
                      Debt collection 101

I and E statement

This will then enable the creditor to decide if the offer of payment made truly reflect the most the debtor can afford.
                      This is very basic stuff, really if you don't understand this you should not be giving advice.

Future responses on this thread to the OP only.

D
                      Stick to your offer zingy or you will be paying much more and left with almost nothing, authorities are not silly and know what should be on your i & e form, if anything is out of place they will question it, their main purpose is to get as much as possible from you. If it appears that you can pay £15 increments then thats what they will suggest you pay or it could be much more.

Stick to your offer and they must accept it, or else.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X