• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Letter from collections and recoveries - never had an account with Barclays!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letter from collections and recoveries - never had an account with Barclays!

Hi all

I have been a member before but this is a new sign up as I couldn't find my other login stuff... I wonder if you can help at all

Whilst I'm not certain this is fraudulent, I certainly have never had a card from Barclays, don't recall ever opening an account, and don't recall ever seeing statements.

Then today I get a letter saying I owe £171.94, with an overdraft of £100 - so I apparently am over my limit.

???

I can't call customer services, as advised by the collections agent on the phone - because I don't have a tel. banking code or a card with a long number

The sort code says North Kent 3 - whatever branch that is, I am in Kent.

I have never been into Barclays, certainly don't recollect it, and only ever had an Abbey / Santander account and a natwest account.

Anyone shed any light at all or possible advice on what to do?

Much appreciated
    Tags: None

Re: Letter from collections and recoveries - never had an account with Barclays!

Originally posted by loubycee View Post
    I have never been into Barclays, certainly don't recollect it, and only ever had an Abbey / Santander account and a natwest account.

Anyone shed any light at all or possible advice on what to do?
    I could be quite mistaken but, to me, there seem to be four possible explanations:

1. The letter has nothing whatever to do with Barclays and is simply a scam to get you to pay money to another bunch of crooks
    2. The letter was from Barclays; someone has opened an account in your name, using your address and opting to view statements on-line only
    3. The letter was from Barclays but they just have the wrong person and they've matched their customer with your address
    4. The letter was from Barclays and you opened an account with them when you were sleep-walking.

The response is the same in all four cases - tell the buggers to prove it.

Comment

Re: Letter from collections and recoveries - never had an account with Barclays!

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
      I could be quite mistaken but, to me, there seem to be four possible explanations:

1. The letter has nothing whatever to do with Barclays and is simply a scam to get you to pay money to another bunch of crooks
      2. The letter was from Barclays; someone has opened an account in your name, using your address and opting to view statements on-line only
      3. The letter was from Barclays but they just have the wrong person and they've matched their customer with your address
      4. The letter was from Barclays and you opened an account with them when you were sleep-walking.

The response is the same in all four cases - tell the buggers to prove it.

Thanks, I just can't see why I would open an account then use the overdraft - sleep walking maybe but how would I have access to that overdraft that has attracted what must be charges if I didn't have a card....

The mystery goes on

Will go into branch as I can't ring the useless buggers Time I could do without wasting but I am not paying until they prove it, thanks so much for your reply

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X