• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Didn't think private parking guys worked early on a Sunday...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Didn't think private parking guys worked early on a Sunday...

Oh well, here's goes some light relief and a bit of fun.
    So took the family out to get trainers for the summer hols at our local, "shopping Mall", well West Quay, Southampton..
    As the kids were up early we decided to be there for the 10 am opening.
    So arrived just after 10 to find the shop we wanted opened at 10.30, so we headed off to McD's for a nice healthy breakfast (who am I kidding)
    Car was properly parked up in a marked bay, etc. Place was virtually empty due to the time.
    This is an outside parking area nearer a bunch of larger shops, rather than the controlled multi-storey parking space.

Anyways, yes I know it's "managed" by a private firm that expect you to pay ££ for parking, but I didn't think they'd work on a Sunday.
    So McD's scoffed and trainers purchased and back to the car to find a lovely yellow envelope stuck to the windscreen on passenger side.

PARKING NOTICE ENCLOSED
    WARNING

It is an offence for any person other than the driver to remove this notice
    Continues inside with
    PARKING CHARGE NOTICE
    Unauthorised Removal Or Interference Is Prohibited
    All the usual stuffs really, but a complete failure to detail the actual breach as defined under the law, even according to their own implied contract it's vague.
    The Parking Charge Notice, refer to as a PCN, has Failure to display a valid ticket as the reason.
    Also the details are rather lacking. While it has my Reg, make and colour there is no mention of model.
    Now I drive a sad, Ford family mobile, so it's not like it's some exotic motor.
    There's a ton of Silver Mondeo's on the road

Oh well no matter.
    The Charge is £60, but reduced to £40 if paid within 14 days, not even discounted, but an acceptable settlement.
    Well, Britannia Parking of Bournemouth, you have ticketed the wrong person, so prepare for a fight..

I'll scan the "PCN" tomorrow from work and keep people posted as to the missives I receive.

Ps yes I know I've been "naughty" but there you go.
    While there's the usual moral argument, I fight from statute law..
    Tags: None

Re: Didn't think private parking guys worked early on a Sunday...

This happened to me last year after doing some last minute christmas shopping. You will get a sequence of letters, threatograms, that look something like this. http://www.dealingwithbailiffs.co.uk/#privatetickets Being in west London, I was let off lightly with a £100 ticket reduced to £75 if I paid within 14 days.

Comment

They have thoughtfully printed their escalation process on the rear of the "PCN"

Pay PCN within 14 days of date of issue - £40
      Pay PCN after 14 days of date of issue - £60

If unpaid after 28 days of issue the escalation process is as follows
      Parking Charge Notice date of Issue:
      • +28 Days - Vehicle Keeper details requested from DVLA
      • +35 Days - Notice to Owner sent
      • +56 Days - Reminder sent incurring late payment charge - £60 + £15
      • +77 Days - Final Reminder incurring administration fees prior to Court action sent - £60 + £15 + £120
      • +84 Days - Court Action started - £60 + £15 + £120 + Court Fees
      So nice of them to give me a simple to follow time table.
      We'll see if they keep to it..

Comment

Originally posted by Curlyben View Post
        PARKING NOTICE ENCLOSED
        WARNING
        lol and of course you believe that curly dont you
        I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Well twas a little late as the missus removed it before I got back to the car, so burgered all over before I even start
          She doesn't drive (the car)

Comment

Whats the offence for removing the notice one wonders is it the only capital offence left on the statute book after the aboliton of the death penalty for murder and treason????????

Comment

id be tempted to leave a yellow notice on the pay and display machine reading the the posting of yellow envelopes causes me offence

Comment

Hope you fight this all the way to show all those who have or get one of this PCNs from the parking hitlers i expect it to pan out over a long period of time and no doubt will show to all those on here and everone who is informed that the legal powers of companies like this are probably zero wonder who their solicitors are and if they send a letter to this website, should backfire like another well published letter from london.
                Please keep us all informed of progress,after reading about these PCNs i seek out and read every notice in every car park i go in almost as good as my trainspotting must buy another anorak?

Comment

It's a shame you don't live nearer. I'm currently writing an article for our local newspaper for a retail park which has just introduced one of these schemes, and I received a ticket. I've only had the ticket and one letter so far, but my understanding is they're not allowed to profit under civil law, but only claim actual loss. As this was a free car park, one has to question what loss what suffered.

I trust you will be as keen to pay this invoice as you are demands from DCA's!

Comment

Would be amusing to see this one strung out as long as possible, if you've ever seen what they do on 419eater.com, you'll know what I mean!

Comment

Originally posted by Galahad View Post
                      Would be amusing to see this one strung out as long as possible, if you've ever seen what they do on 419eater.com, you'll know what I mean!
                      That was my thoughts as well.
                      Now I wonder if I can get some interesting photos to go with this along the same lines..

Comment

I'm astounded. I really expected you to have spotted the significance of their silly flim-flam.

On the outside of the bogus parking ticket:
                        Originally posted by Curlyben

PARKING NOTICE ENCLOSED
                        WARNING

Continues inside with:

PARKING CHARGE NOTICE
                        Unauthorised Removal Or Interference Is Prohibited

All the usual stuffs really, but a complete failure to detail the actual breach as defined under the law, even according to their own implied contract it's vague.
                        The Parking Charge Notice, refer to as a PCN, has Failure to display a valid ticket as the reason.
                        The significance of making the false assertion that improper removal of the bogus ticket "is an offence" is that the parking parasites have thereby suggested or stated that their invoice is an official Penalty Charge Notice.

Perhaps your local Trading Standards wallahs might wish to prosecute the parking parasites?

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                          I'm astounded. I really expected you to have spotted the significance of their silly flim-flam.
                          Hey CC, yep spotted that BEFORE they even ticketed me as I know this is a privately managed parking area, so any "tickets" are meaningless
                          As PT can attest, we have already had fun with our local council over parking in town and the lack of enforceable lines and signs..

Comment

Originally posted by Curlyben View Post
                            Hey CC, yep spotted that BEFORE they even ticketed me as I know this is a privately managed parking area, so any "tickets" are meaningless
                            As PT can attest, we have already had fun with our local council over parking in town and the lack of enforceable lines and signs..
                            lmao yeah the last outing cost our council dearly, very dearly indeed, they had to remark the whole boroughs lines and replace lots of signs lol, shame, my heart bleeds purple **** for them in sympathy
                            I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
                              It's a shame you don't live nearer. I'm currently writing an article for our local newspaper for a retail park which has just introduced one of these schemes, and I received a ticket. I've only had the ticket and one letter so far, but my understanding is they're not allowed to profit under civil law, but only claim actual loss. As this was a free car park, one has to question what loss what suffered.

I trust you will be as keen to pay this invoice as you are demands from DCA's!
                              Labman - You're absolutely right. Under civil law, you can only be in the same position you were in before an alleged tort occurred. There is case law covering this dating back to 1915.

CB - If the car park is Pay & Display, as you know, all the PPC is entitled to receive is any parking fee that is payable. Penalty charges are not enforceable, as Parking Eye, OPC and Vehicle Control Services have found to their cost.
                              Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X