• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Welsh Water / Dwr Cymru

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welsh Water / Dwr Cymru

OK. I have not been around this site for far far too long. I used to be on here daily at one time, but in recent months I have been trying to sort out the car crash that was my finances as a result of a (well-publicised on this site) period of unemployment and a massive fight against my mortgage providers to retain my home (and yes, the home straight is finally in sight in regard to my finances) !!

Anyway, I would like some opinions on the following:

In September last year, Welsh Water (for reasons only they know) increased the Water Pressure supplied to the housing estate I live on. The Water Pressure increase was such that the overflow on my water tank (in the roof) could not cope and subsequently ended up in water cascading down through the house. It totally devastated the house and much of our possessions. We were not alone in this. A multitude of properties were affected in the same way on the Estate, but even Welsh Water admitted that we were by far the worse affected.

Fortunately, Welsh Water admitted full liability for what happened. They also asked whether we wanted to claim directly off them or go through our Home Insurance and let them claim it back off Welsh Water. We went down the latter path of going through our Home Insurer as we deemed it would be far quicker to do get things sorted that way.

Now I have to give credit where credit is due. Our Home Insurers (Hiscox ) have been absolutely brilliant throughout the whole saga. They are an absolute pleasure to do deal with. Nothing is too much trouble for them. They may not be the cheapest, but when they advertise 'exceptional insurance', they really mean it in my experience.

Anyway, damage was estimated at £35000 to our property and we had to move out to enable our property to be renovated and restored. Hiscox paid the rental of the temporary property, removal fees etc etc. Finally, after 6 months out of our property, we were finally able to move back in to our house (which felt like moving back into a brand-new house). Between everything that Hiscox paid out, I would imagine that Welsh Water have been hit with a bill close on £50,000 from Hiscox.

However, despite the fact that our property has been fully restored to a new state, I do have the nagging feeling that we are selling ourselves short. The reason for this is the stress and upheaval we had to suffer during that 6 months. We had to move house (twice), take time off work to do the actual moves and also had the 'pleasure' of living in the rented property during that time with loads of boxes, full to the brim, of possessions that we did not deem important enough to require unpacking until we moved back to our property. Indeed, even after moving back to our own property. we still had weeks of slowly sifting through, and unpacking, loads and loads of boxes. It is now almost 7 weeks since we moved back to our own home, and we are now only just getting back to normality (now that we finally worked out where everything in the boxes originally came from !!).

My question is this. Would I be morally correct in demanding compensation from Welsh Water on top of everything else they either have, or will, have to pay out for the renovation of our house ?

As I have said previously, Hiscox were brilliant. They sorted everything out. Appointed Loss Adjusters to advise, a firm to dry the house out and recover what was salvageable, paid for a surveyor to over see the work, paid for all the work actually done, paid for the rented accommodation and also paid the excess utility bills at the rented accommodation (which was substantially larger than our own home), paid removal fees .... everything really. But I do have the feeling that we are short-changing ourselves. Not from Hiscox, but from the people who caused the damage in the first place - Welsh Water. Should I now proceed to pursue Welsh Water for compensation for all that has happened ?

It's a conundrum. Part of me is just happy to have my house back. Restored to feeling like a new home. But part of me also wants to punish Welsh Water for ruining my home in the first place and putting me and my family through 6 months of hell. What does everyone else think ?

Thanks in advance for any replies..... and I promise to come around the forums more often from now on !
    Tags: None

Re: Welsh Water / Dwr Cymru

imsurance is designed to put you back to ytje situation you would have been in if the incident had not occurred . Si think a phone call to hiscox to see ifthey will take on a consequential loss claim. You may well have legal insurance .

Comment

I think your line of thinking is perfectly reasonable, and I'd be surprised if Dwr Cymru aren't expecting it.

Comment

Thought I should give this an update.

I have indeed placed a compensation claim against Welsh Water for the reasons detailed above.

At first, I was met by stoney silence. Six weeks after making the claim for compensation, I had heard nothing whatsoever back from Welsh Water. On checking their website (for their company charter) and also on the website of the Water Regulator (the Consumer Council for Water), I could see that I should have received a reply within 10 working days - if nothing else other than to acknowledge my claim.

As I had heard nothing, I asked the Consumer Council for Water for help and advice. Once CC Water had investigated and contacted Welsh Water to ask about the silence, it all started happening. Welsh Water have now passed the matter on to their insurers, who in turn have asked their Loss Adjusters for comment. I have now been contacted by Welsh Water's insurance people to acknowledge my claim (though strangely nothing from Welsh Water themselves).

So I guess all I can do is wait. I cannot see what they can do to contest my claim as they have already previously admitted liability both to myself AND my own insurance company. Indeed, even Welsh Water's Loss Adjuster admitted liability to me in person - something which was witnessed by others.

Anyway, hopefully this will all be resolved soon. I will let the forum know what happens when it happens.

Cheers

Comment

I am now experiencing a similar problem, I have been out of my house for nearly six months due to a burst water main outside my house causing some structural damage . As yet the loss adjusters for welsh water have failed to mention compensation, when I brought it up they asked what sort of figure was I expecting. If anyone has gone through a similar experience. I would be grateful if you could advise me. Many thanks

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X