• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

WON !! Richard Durkin v HFC / PC World supreme court judgment 26/03/14

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Richard Durkin v HFC / PC World supreme court hearing 28th January 2014

All on yer spread sheets lol dont want him ripped off with interest :beagle:

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
      Am I right in thinking the judgment means if you return goods the finance agreement is still not automatically cancelled, unless you put it in writing ? (para 30/31)
      There are now rights to cancel such an agreement which were not available when Mr. D bought his computer.
      Last edited by andy58; 26th March 2014, 17:39:PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ncf355 View Post
        Hmm

Having read the judgment and EXC quote above, seems pretty clear that 8K has been accepted as a reasonable amount for 'general injury to credit' (plus interest of course)
        No, it isn't, its the level of damages in Richards case, its not a general one size fits all. Imagine a default causes your business to collapse and you lose your home etc, is £8k sufficient compensatory amount?
        I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

The SC only had the power to award the damages previously given as a 'finding of fact' in the 2010 case I think.
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

So doesn't massively help the Hitachi / B&Q case ? As she had no contact with Hitachi after taking back the credit agreement and telling B&Q she was cancelling and making full payment for the goods via debit card instead. That can't be right?
            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Originally posted by ncf355 View Post
              Hmm

Having read the judgment and EXC quote above, seems pretty clear that 8K has been accepted as a reasonable amount for 'general injury to credit' (plus interest of course)
              Unfortunately this is in Scotland, does anyone know if this would know apply in lower English courts ?

from what I have read the SC had no power to alter the award either way, so as far as that is concerned i do not see haw they can be considered to endorse the general damages issue this side of the border.

Comment

Originally posted by andy58 View Post
                Unfortunately this is in Scotland, does anyone know if this would know apply in lower English courts ?

from what I have read the SC had no power to alter the award either way, so as far as that is concerned i do not see haw they can be considered to endorse the general damages issue this side of the border.
                The supreme Court ruling hits home both sides of the border
                I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

Comment

From the BBC Article

Mr Durkin said: "I am disappointed that the Supreme Court was unable to restore to me the full damages awarded by the sheriff - even though it was clear that they were sympathetic to my position on this.

"This decision is a great victory for all consumers and I am proud to have been the driving force behind it.
                  The laptop was bought from PC World in Aberdeen in the 1990s
                  "As a result of the decision, no consumer will have to endure again what I had to put up with - the loss of the ability to buy a family home because of wrongful blacklisting of me."
                  He added: "Taking a case to any court is a huge stress, but taking it to the highest court in the land with all the risks that go with it was the most stressful thing that anyone could voluntarily put themselves through.

"But sometimes you have to do what is right, and not what is easy."

Mr Durkin said: "I am grateful to my legal team, and to the Law Society of Scotland who funded the court fees which I could not afford.
                  "But I am most grateful for an end to this matter now, having fought a long and difficult battle which at last is over."
                  #staysafestayhome

Comment

I think the supreme Court said it was an implied term that you could rescind.

So doesn't massively help the Hitachi / B&Q case ? As she had no contact with Hitachi after taking back the credit agreement and telling B&Q she was cancelling and making full payment for the goods via debit card instead. That can't be right?

Comment

Indeed.... but what does that actually mean ?
                      Last edited by Amethyst; 26th March 2014, 14:29:PM.
                      #staysafestayhome

Comment

Originally posted by pt2537 View Post
                        No, it isn't, its the level of damages in Richards case, its not a general one size fits all. Imagine a default causes your business to collapse and you lose your home etc, is £8k sufficient compensatory amount?
                        Sorry PT

I thought it was 2 different lines of damage:

1 for actual loss (which would be the business and home you state above) and then another general damages for the mere act of assumed injury to credit?

Comment

I think that care should be given regarding the statement the the creditor should have checked the "enforceability" of the agreement before entering the Default.

On the face of it this seems to contradict Mc Guffic and other established case law which says that reporting to the CRA is not enforcement.

It must be remembered that this case is talking about enforcement via way of the rescission of the agreement, not via the requirements of section 127 and the restriction of the ability to issue an enforcement order.

Comment

• Re: WON !! Richard Durkin v HFC / PC World supreme court judgment 26/03/14

I think we wanted it to contradict McGuffick didn't we ? Does it actually ?

Someone give the wonderful Andrew Smith a ring and ask him to come explain it to us lol.
                            #staysafestayhome

Comment

Originally posted by pt2537 View Post
                              The supreme Court ruling hits home both sides of the border
                              I wish I could be so confident, they seem to make a point of saying that they could make no judgement in the matter of assessing damages.

Comment

• Re: WON !! Richard Durkin v HFC / PC World supreme court judgment 26/03/14

I think we wanted it to contradict McGuffick didn't we ? Does it actually ?

Someone give the wonderful Andrew Smith a ring and ask him to come explain it to us lol.
                                Yes it would be nice, but I do not think it does.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X