• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Civil Recovery Firm lashes out at Consumer Forums after Court defeat

Collapse
Important !
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Civil Recovery Firm lashes out at Consumer Forums after Court defeat

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
    I've seen the BTS stuff, where's the Sandwell Police comment ?
    On the RLP website - link:

RLP’s Company Solicitor was invited to speak at Sandwell Police’s Annual Licensing Conference in December 2011, to advise how civil recovery can assist the Licensing Trade. Our Company Solicitor was a speaker at the Sandwell Police’s Annual Licensing Conference in December.
    I regret to say there was no explanation quite why Sandwell Police should be so concerned about "the Licensing Trade". Perhaps it is a preferred career move after retirement from the police?

Comment

I shall be "assisting the licensing trade" myself Saturday night. (Bachelor party)

Perhaps that's what is meant?

D

Comment

Article in Private Eye:
        http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?355659-Retail-Loss-Prevention-is-running-a-racket-abusing-defamation-law-bullying-and-their-clients-are-hiding-behind-them&p=3886773&viewfull=1#post3886773

Free Speech

Playing Schilly buggers
        Retail Loss Prevention Ltd, which is accused of running and unfair parallel justice system on behalf of high street retailers in which teenage and mentally ill petty shop lifters have faced inflated civil compensation demands (see Eyes 1303 & 1314) is taking equally over-the-top measures to try to stifle criticism of the practice.

The firm, which acts for Primark, Iceland, Asda, Boots, Debenhams, Tesco and TK Maxx, has hired London law firm Schillings not only to protect it from defamation and “malicious falsehood” but also apparently from criminal harassment – a novel way to stifle free speech say experts.

Apparently stung by a defeat in the county court (Eye 1314), RLP has instructed Schillings to send threatening letters to the Citizen Advice Bureau, the Consumer Action Group and another consumer forum, Legal Beagles, demanding that “harassing and defamatory” posts on their websites be removed and that they hand over ID details or internet service provider addresses of those posting on the forums – or face legal action.

Schillings has even threatened the London law firm which acted free of charge for one of two teenage girls who successfully fought off what is believed to be the first fully contested RLP – led claim to go before a court. It is demanding that Bates, Bells and Braithwaite (BW) remove from its website the news report of the Oxford court victory of the girls, in which it says the judgment “deals a potentially fatal blow to the practice of ‘civil recovery’”
        BWB is understood to have issued a robust response and kept the item up, with a notice that it is subject to legal dispute. The impoverished but highly popular free consumer forums are also adamant they will not bow to pressure, other than to moderate excessive or gratuitous postings. They believe their popularity with consumers (CAG has more than 322,000 members) will bring Nottingham – based RLP and its lawyers to their senses.

Curiously, one CAG “thread” complained about by Schillings was actually started by someone who gave the impression that an RLP demand on behalf of TK Maxx meant that the game was up and payment should be made “jonny46” later posted a court document to prove that RL and high street traders were prepared to litigate – a court acknowledgement confirming: “Your claim was issued....” That would suggest it came from the claimants or those acting for them, so the ISP address of “jonny46” would make an interesting side show if Schillings followed through with its threats.

Those pressing for a “public interest defence” to enable scientists, NGOs and consumer groups to debate issues in good faith are also raising the case in the Commons this week – a spectacular own goal!
        Last edited by Celestine; 6th March 2014, 17:04:PM.

Comment

Sounds like Celestine did a brilliant speech at the libel reform meet that is currently ongoing. Been following on Twitter ( #libelreform ) .
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

I hope that she lets us all see a copy, will be interesting to see whats she's said, its certainly hit the mark judging by the comments.

Comment

BBC link to yesterdays commitee meeting recording http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b011788h
              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Comment

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-18595023
                  #staysafestayhome

Comment

BBC Article

CAB official accused of harassment by civil recovery firm

By Ian Pollock Personal finance reporter, BBC News Retailers often prefer to use civil recovery rather than asking the Police to prosecute
                    Continue reading the main story Related Stories

A company that sues shoplifters on behalf of retailers has accused a Citizens Advice Bureau official of organising a campaign of harassment against it.
                    The firm, Retail Loss Prevention (RLP), has also threatened legal action against several consumer websites because of comments on their forums.
                    It wants to uncover the identity of internet critics who have called for the company's business to be disrupted.
                    The CAB official denies the accusation.
                    RLP has accused its critics of trying to damage its business in a "vindictive" campaign.
                    In particular it has accused a national official of the CAB, Richard Dunstan, of "orchestrating" a three-year long "sustained campaign of harassment and defamation" against it and its staff.
                    He is the CAB's policy officer dealing with the civil recovery industry and denies the accusations.
                    "I don't plead guilty to either harassment or defamation, and would warmly welcome a police investigation." Mr Dunstan told the BBC.
                    "The accusation is simply ludicrous - there is no way I could single-handedly launch an internet campaign against them.
                    Continue reading the main story “Start Quote
                    I have had several death threats, I have to take them seriously”
                    Jackie Lambert RLP
                    "What RLP wants is to shut down reporting and discussion of a disastrous ruling in court in April," he added.
                    Growing industry RLP's managing director, Jackie Lambert, told the BBC she had received death threats because of the criticism of her firm's business.
                    "No-one should be subject to violent and harassing threats that threaten and make defamatory comments," she said.
                    She denied that she was trying to close down legitimate discussion of her firm's working methods.
                    "I have had several death threats, I have to take them seriously," she said.
                    RLP is the biggest firm involved in the civil recovery business which has developed over the past decade or so.
                    Shops, stores and supermarkets employ the firms to sue shoplifters, or alleged shoplifters, for compensation.
                    Typically letters are sent to the alleged thieves, even if they have not been prosecuted, demanding they pay compensation to the retailers, or face being taken to court.
                    It is a line of business in which the civil recovery firms are estimated, since 1998, to have threatened legal action against 750,000 people.
                    'Doubtful' At Oxford County Court in April, two teenage girls were sued by a leading retailer.
                    The judge ordered that their identities should be kept anonymous.
                    RLP's client lost and the judge criticised the legal basis of its case.
                    RLP had demanded that the girls pay £137.50 towards the costs of the retailer, but the judge dismissed the claim saying the costs had been exaggerated.
                    READ MORE -- >
                    Last edited by Amethyst; 27th June 2012, 11:34:AM.
                    #staysafestayhome

Comment

Originally posted by BBC
                      RLP's managing director, Jackie Lambert, told the BBC she had received death threats because of the criticism of her firm's business.

"No-one should be subject to violent and harassing threats that threaten and make defamatory comments," she said.

"I have had several death threats, I have to take them seriously," she said.

I know that I have never - and would never - threaten anyone's life or even threaten extra-judicial violence against someone. Anyone who does has either lost all reason or may have been acting as some sort of agent provocateur to provide a reason for a criminal investigation. That may seem fanciful, but one does see rumours of such being attempted from time to time.

Whilst I would not condone any of the alleged threats, perhaps Ms Lambert might like to consider if a distracted parent or a forgetful pensioner ought to face the demands for money her company sends to all the alleged tort feasors whose details are passed on by her company's clients? Then there are the threats made to add the personal details of an alleged thief to a database of alleged thieves.

I would argue that nobody deserves such unpleasantness from her company.

She denied that she was trying to close down legitimate discussion of her firm's working. methods.
                      Well, she would, wouldn't she?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lunch.png
Views:	1
Size:	606.2 KB
ID:	1155336

in case it doesn't come up it is on the homepage www.legalbeagles.info

www.legalbeagles.info/Lunch.png

Last edited by Amethyst; 27th June 2012, 12:59:PM.
                        #staysafestayhome

Comment

I checked the RLP website a few days ago and there are still references to ACPO, ACPOS, British Transport Police (BTP) and Hertfordshire Police on show. Before I joined LB, I contacted ACPO about the references to it that I had seen on RLP's website. I can tell you the response I received from ACPO clearly indicated they weren't happy bunnies with RLP. It should be noted that the chief constables of BTP and Hertfordshire Police are members of ACPO.

As for the "death threats" Ms Lambert claims to have received, I suspect this is the actions of a small number of nutters, not associated with CAB, CAG and LB, who have read a press report and decided to take their own brand of action. This does, unfortunately, happen and although I do have sympathy for Ms Lambert in respect of the threats, the reality is that we have some very disturbed individuals in society who do things like this. I and, probably, other LB members who have been police officers, like myself, will, at some point in their careers, have had to deal with such individuals. Trying to blame consumer groups and forums for the actions of these individuals is not acceptable.

The statement made by the MP in the video in Clever Clog's post above bears out my argument that the police should be called to ALL alleged shoplifting incidents. I am going to draw up a draft Code of Practice that could be used to stop the racket that Mr McShane describes. Once it is ready, I'll post it on this thread and LBs can then make comments and suggestions as to improvements, changes, etc..

By the way, I did notice the smile on Diara O'Briain's face. Perhaps, Cel will tell us why. Lol!
                          Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

I've come to this as I saw the article on the BBC website.
                            Jackie Lambert as quoted by the BBC '"This has been going on for three years; I have to protect myself and my staff from threats," she said.'

Presumably Ms Lambert can prove this earlier intimidation ?
                            Ah, only recently reported it to the police. Coincidential timing ?

Comment

Originally posted by teach View Post
                              I've come to this as I saw the article on the BBC website.
                              Jackie Lambert as quoted by the BBC '"This has been going on for three years; I have to protect myself and my staff from threats," she said.'

Presumably Ms Lambert can prove this earlier intimidation ?
                              Ah, only recently reported it to the police. Coincidential timing ?
                              That will be commented on by the police - have no doubts about that. And, yes, there is every possibility that it will be seen as being too much of a coincidence.

Generally speaking, using the police in that way is unacceptable and potentially illegal.
                              Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

How did MSE manage to stay out of this?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X