• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help required - Rossendales & Council Tax

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help required - Rossendales & Council Tax

Hi all, I have used this site before for a similar reason with great success.

Anyway on the 30th May 2012 there was an envelope pushed through my door from Rossendales stating "NOTICE OF BAILIFFS ATTENDANCE Magistrates liabilityorder/warrant of execution dated 26/05/2010 for Unpaid Council Tax x2" for an address I left in 2009.

Where it says AMOUNT DUE: The bailiff has written in pen £854.87 PLUS COSTS.
    I went straight online to check my accounts from the old address as I was unaware of any outstanding arrears. The periods that they are showing as arrears is a time when I am pretty sure I was unemployed and recieving Council Tax & Housing Benefit. I immediately emailed the council and got an automated reply saying I would hear from somebody within 48 hours. I have still not heard anything from the council and the email was sent on 30th May 2012.

I did note an old account that there was £47.47 left outstanding on a previous balance, this I though was already paid when I had previous trouble with Robbindales, sorry Rossendales!!

Today I have arrived home to two letters sent through the post by Rossendales, one for "Outstanding Liability Order Value: £322.95" and the other letter says "Outstanding Liability Order Value: £435.92" giving a total of £758.87.
    My online account says that my outstanding balance is £673.87. So, I am a little confused as to the differing amounts and also that I have not had anything from the Council regarding my arrears until Rossendales posted by hand the Notice Of Bailiffs Attendance letter.

What are my next steps????
    I left the property in November 2009.
    I was unemployed for some of the periods they are claiming I owe for as well.

I appreciate your help in advance.
    Tags: None

Re: Help required - Rossendales & Council Tax

You need to start at the begining with the standard letter and phone call to gather all the info that will give you the bigger picture.

Council: with pen at the ready to ring them and ask:

1 - how many Liability Orders they have against you
    2 - the dates they were obtained
    3 - the addresses they were for
    4 - the period of time each covers
    5 - how much each one was for
    6 - how much is still outstanding
    7 - the dates they were passed on for enforcement

Bailiffs: by email followed by hard copy sent with proof of posting.

"From:
    My Name
    My Address
    To:
    Acme Bailiff Co
    Bailiff House
    Ref: Account Nos: 123456 78910

Dear Sir

With reference to the above account/s Can you please provide me with a breakdown of the charges.

This includes:
    a - the time & date of any Bailiff action that incurred a Fee.
    b - the reason for the fee.
    c - the name(s) of the Bailiff(s) that attended on each occasion a Fee was charged.
    d - the name(s) of the Court(s) the Bailiff(s) was/were Certificated at.
    e - the date of the Certification.

This is not a Subject Access Request under the Data Protection Act S7 1998 so does not incur a fee of £10. You are obliged to provide this information.

I require this information within 14 days.

Yours faithfully

Ripped off customer"

Comment

Thank you Pepsie I shall do both tomorrow and then post replies from both Council and Robbendales.

Originally posted by pepsie View Post
      You need to start at the begining with the standard letter and phone call to gather all the info that will give you the bigger picture.

Council: with pen at the ready to ring them and ask:

1 - how many Liability Orders they have against you
      2 - the dates they were obtained
      3 - the addresses they were for
      4 - the period of time each covers
      5 - how much each one was for
      6 - how much is still outstanding
      7 - the dates they were passed on for enforcement

Bailiffs: by email followed by hard copy sent with proof of posting.

"From:
      My Name
      My Address
      To:
      Acme Bailiff Co
      Bailiff House
      Ref: Account Nos: 123456 78910

Dear Sir

With reference to the above account/s Can you please provide me with a breakdown of the charges.

This includes:
      a - the time & date of any Bailiff action that incurred a Fee.
      b - the reason for the fee.
      c - the name(s) of the Bailiff(s) that attended on each occasion a Fee was charged.
      d - the name(s) of the Court(s) the Bailiff(s) was/were Certificated at.
      e - the date of the Certification.

This is not a Subject Access Request under the Data Protection Act S7 1998 so does not incur a fee of £10. You are obliged to provide this information.

I require this information within 14 days.

Yours faithfully

Ripped off customer"

Comment

Hopefully you will then be on the road to resolving your isssues but you have all the help you need to achieve that right here on LB

Pepsie

Comment

Originally posted by pepsie View Post
          Hopefully you will then be on the road to resolving your isssues but you have all the help you need to achieve that right here on LB

Pepsie
          Hi Pepsi

I have recieved an email back from the council regarding my outstanding arrears. Some of the dates as I stated before, cover an area of unemployment where I recieved Council Tax & Housing Benefit. Below is the email recieved, I am still awaiting a reply from Robbendales. I wasn't aware of the outstanding balance of £47.47 on an old account, as far as I was concerned this account had been settled.

They also state that I entered into a voluntary repayment plan with them, this I have not done otherwise I would have paid off what/if anything that I owe.

I now need to speak to the DSS to give me clarification on my period of unemployment.

How should I reply to the Council??

Thank you in advance.

Good morning Mr *********, details requested are as follows:

Account 33730810 : * ******* ****** Period of liability 26.05.07 – 22.08.08

For period 26.05.07 – 31.03.08
          Summons issued 30.10.07 – Court costs £45.00
          Liability Order 1544747 granted 22.11.07 for £613.56
          Released to Rossendale 07.04.10 for £147.70
          Paid in full

For period 01.08.08 – 22.08.08
          Summons issued 25.11.08 - Court costs £55.00
          Liability Order 1545868 granted 16.12.08 for £620.21
          Released to Rossendale 26.03.10 for £188.07
          Returned from Rossendale 03.09.10
          Balance outstanding £47.47.

I note correspondence has been previously issued to you regarding this balance and although you did agree payment arrangements payments were not maintained.

Account 33949895 – * ******* ***** . Period of liability 23.08.08 – 26.11.09

For period 23.08.08 – 31.03.09
          Summons issued 30.06.09 – Court costs £60.00
          Liability Order 1548816 granted 21.07.09 for £438.42
          Voluntary payment arrangement agreed with you but payments not made as promised
          Released to Rossendales 12.03.12 - £393.42

For period 01.04.09 – 26.11.09
          Summons issued 04.05.10 – Court costs £70.00
          Liability Order 1550444 granted 26.05.10 for £280.45
          Voluntary payment arrangement agreed with you but payments not made as promised
          Released to Rossendales 12.03.12 - £280.45

Comment

All you need to do at present is thank the Council for their information. It does appear that you have 4 Liability Orders and it will be interesting now to see what the Bailiffs come up with.

Comment

The top one is confusing as it states: Paid in Full, which I thought was the case.
              But underneath it states I owe £47.47???

Comment

If you read it properly it is for a different LO.

Comment

Thanks ploddertom, I obviously hadn't read it properly.

I have recieved a response from Robbendales which says:

Dear Sir/Madam

Re:C Tax owing to: West Lindsey District Council

Thank you for your recent correspondence, the content of which we have noted.

We can confirm that both of your accounts have been visited our (think it should read "visited BY our" bailiff!!) bailiff Mr Glenthworth. He was certificated at Burley (Think they mean Burnley!!) Courts on the 22nd March 2011.

You have been charged a current total of £42.50 on each account which represents the first and second visit fee. These fees were incurred on visits made Fri May 25, 2012 at 15:07 and Wed May 30, 2012 at 10:37.

At present the accounts are awaiting the allocation to one of our enforcement bailiffs as we are yet to receive payment or an offer to discharge the balance via instalments. (Installments?!!)

Yours Sincerely

Bailiff Manager

Rossendales Ltd.

I have only had one visit that I am aware of, on the 30th May when the NOTICE OF BAILIFFS ATTENDANCE was put through. It also only has one account number on it. NO other paperwork has been put through my door informing me of a second visit.

I have emailed the Council back and made an offer of £10 per week, thats all I can afford at this present time. I am just waiting for a repsonse from them.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Can somebody advise me on what I should do next please.

I have received an email today from the Council saying they will accept my offer of £10 per week for the £47.47 that I owe, but they have said I need to deal with Rossendales with regard to my other LO. Obvioulsy I have no intention of communicating with Rossendales.

Thanks in advancve.

Comment

I would write to the Head of Revenues at the council asking if the fees mentioned above are accurate. If he says they are, then we can progress things as they are not. They cannot charge for more than one account in any one visit. They have charged for two on both visits.

http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...Useful-Letters

Letter 4.

Comment

Thank you very much Labman, I will do the letter now.

Many Thanks.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X