• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Widow left with nothing in a will that pre-dated her marriage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Widow left with nothing in a will that pre-dated her marriage

My friend recently died following an operation in hospital. He only married his wife (now widow) 3 years and 8 months ago (2008).
    My friend left a will dated 1999, which was before he met his wife, but apparently did not alter it (unless a later will has magically disappeared).

The will leaves 100% to his only sister and the executor named is his sisters husband (ie brother-in-law). Thus his widow is left with nothing.

My friend's widow had now been told (by the brother-in-law executor) to make arrangements to leave the house after the funeral because she has no right to stay there.

Clearly, she needs to contest the will and, if possible, the stated executor to obtain at least something from the estate.

How should she go about this?

I would add that the widow has also, for the past 2 years, been not just a wife but a carer for her late husband when he became disabled.

Thanks in advance,

Mal.
    Tags: None

Re: Widow left with nothing in a will that pre-dated her marriage

I may be wrong, but I always thought that marriage subsequent to a will, invalidated the will

Comment

Ive come across this

Every adult should make a Will and review it regularly, particularly if their circumstances change, such as they get married, have children or get divorced.
      (In fact it is important to note that marriage invalidates any Will made before marriage).

http://www.watsonwoodhouse.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=9&Ite mid=12

Comment

Have to say the brother in law sounds like a lovely character ( NOT ),but armed with the above information you can tell him to get lost,regards Streetwise.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X