• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

signing your V5 after voluntary termination

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• signing your V5 after voluntary termination

hi all,
    really quick question.

my daughter has just (flew out today) moved to australia, and taken voluntary termination on her (finance) car. there don't seem to be any issues (as yet) regarding this.
    however, as the company did not collect before she left, i am now handing the car back to the collection company tomorrow.
    when i spoke on the phone to their representative, he told me not to bother filling in and signing the v5, they would do that.
    i've just looked, and my daughter has already signed it, it just needs the agencies details.

should i let him take it, as is? or should i ask the person who collects to fill out their bit, and send it off for her?
    it does state on the back, 'do not give this part to the trader/company'.

i'm not familiar with this process, so any advice would be great.

many thanks,
    jan
    Tags: None

Re: signing your V5 after voluntary termination

Iit is now a legal requirement for the person getting rid of a car to fill out and send their bit of the V5. So you need to send that bit away for your daughter, don't let the person taking the car away tell you otherwise. They also have to give you their details to put on the slip.

Until this is dated and sent away your daughter is responsible for the car, that includes any fines or accidents.

Comment

hi scottie,

thanks for your reply.
      i'm actually glad its a 'legal requirment' and not just a 'sensible' choice, it gives me the excuse to do it, without sounding un-trusting lol.

regards,
      jan

Comment

Adding to Shell's excellent advice, send Part 9 of the V5C (coloured green) by Recorded Delivery to DVLA and check DVLA have received it by using Royal Mail's Track & Trace. I did this when I recently got rid of my car. I'm just waiting for the letter to say I'm no longer responsible for the vehicle.
        Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

If the vehicle is going back, you'd need to fill in the traders section (yellow), as otherwise they may refuse to take the car back, because 1). you'll be adding another owner, 2). They won't have the full logbook to get rid of the car at auction.

So, the date they take it, put that date on the yellow section, scribble any old signature for your daughter as registered keeper, DVLA do not check nor care, so long as its signed (they do not keep records of signatures), make sure whoever is collecting the car on behalf of the finance company signs and fills out their details on the yellow section.

He then gets the entirety of the logbook except the yellow section, you send the yellow section to DVLA by recorded delivery as DVLA are not to be trusted, as you will NOT get any kind of confirmation letter when the car goes into trade.

If the person collecting the car refuses, simply refuse to relinquish control of the car and tell them its a legal requirement and you will not be encouraged to break the law.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X