• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Some advice about unpaid wages claim needed please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some advice about unpaid wages claim needed please

Hi everyone,

When I left my previous employer they owed me a lot of money. I wrote to them asking for it, stating my intent to start legal proceedings if they failed to pay. They ignored it so I started an ETS claim. Case was accepted and date set for end of June. My ex-employer has now written to me offering what I was originally saying they owed me.

However, I also didn't have a written contract with them. I'd worked there for over 2 years and asked for a contract on several occasions. I've been told by a friend of a friend that I could be awarded extra compensation by the ETS for this, as much as 4 weeks of pay. Which would increase my award by about 150%.

Is this true and how likely is it they would do that? I did mention the lack of contract on the ET1 form.
    Tags: None

Re: Some advice about unpaid wages claim needed please

I am not sure about the extra 4 weeks as compensation (others more knowledgable will advise), but they may have broken employment law by not providng you with a contract of employment. Not sure what penalty that is but that needs to be followed through.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employme...ions/index.htm

Employment contracts

All employees have an employment contract with their employer, although it might not be in writing. If you don’t have a written employment contract, your contract would have automatically been created when you started to work for your employer.
    What is an employment contract?

An employment contract, or ‘contract of employment’, is an agreement between an employer and an employee which sets out their employment rights, responsibilities and duties. These are called the ‘terms' of the contract.

Your employment contract doesn’t have to be in writing. However, you are entitled to a written statement of your main employment terms within two months of starting work.
    The employment contract is made as soon as you accept a job offer. If you start work it will show that you accepted the job on the terms offered by the employer, even if you don’t know what they are. Having a written contract could cut out disputes with your employer at a later date, and will help you understand your employment rights.
    You and your employer are bound to the employment contract until it ends (usually by giving notice) or until the terms are changed (usually in an agreement between you and your employer).

Terms of an employment contract

The terms of your employment contract could be of several different types, some of which do not need to be written down. You should be aware of what the terms of your employment contract are, so that you understand some of your employment rights.

Written statement of employment particulars

If you are an employee who has been working for your employer for longer than one month, you have the right to receive a written statement of employment particulars. This must be provided by your employer within two months of you starting, even if you are going to work for them for less than two months. The written statement will set out some of your main employment rights.

Comment

Re: Some advice about unpaid wages claim needed please

Yesunder Employment law you should have been given a statement of terms of service within 2 months of starting work. compensation is 2-4 weeks pay (although this is capped).

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
      X