• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Reclaiming PPI after discharge from bankruptcy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reclaiming PPI after discharge from bankruptcy

Morning all

I'm hoping that some of you here will be able to offer some advice and clear up the confusion around the issue. I've sought advice from a number of sources and fora and they all offer contradictory positions!

The facts are as follows:

1) I was in a DMP with Churchwood which ran successfully for 3 1/2 years (I know I could have done it myself but at that time I hadn't discovered things such as LegalBeagles or MSE). The only pain was MBNA which eventually asked that the payments to it increased but I wasn't in a position to do so. I continued to make my payments and MBNA received the previously agreed amount but would claim that the account was in default because the minimum payments (according to them) were not being met and charges accrued.

2) Around 2 1/2 years ago I fell ill. I was unable to work etc. due to the number of tests, scans, etc. and to be honest I spent what little time I had available completing my PhD. Eventually, I was diagnosed with a long-standing genetic disorder. To partially resolve this I would require major surgery. This would mean that I would be unable to work (and still am). I continued to make my repayments to Churchwood for as long as possible.

3) Eventually, I bit the bullet and in January 2011 I filed for bankruptcy under the Low Income Low Asset Scheme here in Scotland. I was discharged from the bankruptcy in January 2012. I'm still recuperating from my operations. My debt was just short of £40 000.

4) To pass the time over the last year or so I've reclaimed the PPI for my parents, members of my family, etc. and sorted out some of their problems. In so doing, it's come to my attention that I had PPI on at least 4 loans that were included in the bankruptcy and 3 credit cards.

My questions are as follows:

1) Can I reclaim the PPI? My grounds for complaint are a) I didn't know about the PPI and it was certainly never discussed (in fact, on one of the loans it was added on by the same account manager that told my parents that their PPI was compulsory); b) the cost of the PPI added to the cost of my debt and put me in a financially deleterious position; c) as I had a long-standing genetic disorder it's highly unlikely it would have been covered by the PPI.

2) What will happen to any money from a successful PPI reclaim? I've read that it will be used against the debts included in the bankruptcy and pay them off, ie. if MBNA were owed £10 000, the debt was restructured to £5000, and the PPI and interest was £4000, the balance of the debt to MBNA would be £1000. Is this correct?

3) I've also read that if the PPI claim is successful and refunded, the creditor could claim that you still owe them money because they've lost out (I presume because they haven't restructured the debt). This has been discussed in this thread.

4) What happens if the PPI and interest is sufficient to negate a bankruptcy? I don't think it would be but I had been in the DMP successfully for 3 1/2 years at £460 per month. That's £19 000 over the term yet due to interest and MBNA, etc. being awkward, the amount escalated rapidly prior to the bankruptcy. My point is that having paid as much as I did up until the bankruptcy, if the loans were restructured, etc. and PPI refunded, where does that leave me vis-a-vis what I actually owed and what I'd already paid off?

As I know many of you will ask, Churchwood did ask me about PPI at the time of starting the DMP but I was not certain it existed, etc. and it's only recently that I've become aware of it. I'm not sure they contacted the companies regarding it.

I think that Bill-K might have a good idea about some of these issues as I read his experience and his post in the thread I've linked to above. As I've said, there seems to be so much conflicting information about and lots of different experiences. The important thing that I noted from Bill-K's comments were that there was a meeting at which point I was discharged and these companies agreed to this matter. Any advice would be useful.
    Tags: None

Re: Reclaiming PPI after discharge from bankruptcy

This is the advice from the English Insolvency service.

http://www.bis.gov.uk/insolvency/per...and-bankruptcy

While Insolvency legislation in Scotland is somewhat different, I think the core principle is the same?

i.e. that the right of action regarding the PPI claim transfers to the trustee, and that any monies claimed likewise go to them if not offset by the creditor.

http://www.aib.gov.uk/sites/default/.../4/0001043.doc

Suggests as much, as the AIB was looking at a pilot scheme to claim PPI on bankrupt's accounts for themselves.

Regards annulment, again drawing from experience with the English system, the trustee/AIB could well swallow up much of the PPI reclaimed for their own fees. So I very much doubt annulment on the grounds of the debt being repaid in full is likely.

Comment

Re: Reclaiming PPI after discharge from bankruptcy

Originally posted by Nibbler View Post
      This is the advice from the English Insolvency service.

http://www.bis.gov.uk/insolvency/per...and-bankruptcy

While Insolvency legislation in Scotland is somewhat different, I think the core principle is the same?

i.e. that the right of action regarding the PPI claim transfers to the trustee, and that any monies claimed likewise go to them if not offset by the creditor.

http://www.aib.gov.uk/sites/default/.../4/0001043.doc

Suggests as much, as the AIB was looking at a pilot scheme to claim PPI on bankrupt's accounts for themselves.

Regards annulment, again drawing from experience with the English system, the trustee/AIB could well swallow up much of the PPI reclaimed for their own fees. So I very much doubt annulment on the grounds of the debt being repaid in full is likely.

Hi all, I have just started applying for PPI and my husband has also started to do the same after being made bankrupt in 2006 for him and 2008 for myself we are both in Scotland. When we first started we thought like everyone else that we would have to pay the money we received from the PPI claim to our trustee but after speaking to them today, because it has been more than 5 years they no longer have an interest in our bankruptcy or debts. So any money we now receive is now ours. Anyone who contacts them now regarding any debts we had in our bankruptcy will be told they have not interest in our debts. Hope this helps with anyone else in the same situation. Not sure if this is the same for England but this is for us in Scotland so I am assuming that is for all of Scotland.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X