• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Dvla, insurance, off road ????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dvla, insurance, off road ????

I would be obliged if i can have confirmation on this issue to do with my motorcycle

i am off work at the moment due to a knee replacement.
    my motorcycle is taxed and has an MOT but the insurance runs out at midnight tonight.
    the bike is kept in my garage.

i have been now told even though the bike is in the garage and off the highway i have to do a SORN ON THE VEHICLE,

can someone tell me how i do a SORN on a vehicle that still has its tax on the vehicle and the law about keeping a vehicle in my garage without insurance and i cant SORN the vehicle

seems another DVLA money making scam to me
    Tags: None

Re: Dvla, insurance, off road ????

Never heard of that before. SORN is to do with road tax. Not sure how the DVLA would make money from a SORN though.
    If Knowledge is Power . . . . . . .Then I Could Easily Light an L.E.D

Comment

Hiya,

Hubby is also a motorcyclist, he says the law is if the bike is on the highway it needs insurance, but as its not on the highway, and is taxed, you dont have to SORN it.
      He says (to the best of his knowledge) that this is what people who, for example, go to america for 3 or 4 months do.. and that as long as it is insured when you go back on the road your ok.

Comment

i am right

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...A5uDmWLVbA6-KA

Comment

just read it hun, it looks like you return the tax disc and they refund you.

I'll update hubby on that one cos he was unaware. but there is a link to download a tax disc refund form on the link you sent.

Comment

Ii'm sure i saw something that related to cars that says if if its taxed it must be insured.

Comment

Time to make a SORN I guess :tinysmile_hmm_t2:
              If Knowledge is Power . . . . . . .Then I Could Easily Light an L.E.D

Comment

Any motor vehicle that is used on a public road, i.e. maintained at public expense, must display a current and valid VEL (tax disc), have a current and valid MOT Test Certificate in force and a Certificate of Motor Insurance covering at least Third Party risks. However, a motor vehicle can stand on a public road, without a current MOT Certificate, as long as it is not used and has a valid VEL and Certificate of Motor Insurance in force.

The SORN regulations refer to the VEL and, now, motor insurance under what is called Continuous Insurance Enforcement (CIE). If you declare a SORN because you are not purchasing a VEL, you are not required to insure the vehicle, provided it is kept off a public road, i.e. on private land. Equally, if you are not insuring a vehicle, you have to declare a SORN and keep it on private land. And, yes, you can claim a refund on the VEL.

As long as you comply with the VEL, CIE and SORN regulations, DVLA and your local police force should be happy bunnies. However, DVLA's VEL/CIE enforcement contractor (see my siggie), Vehicle Enforcement & Allied Services (VEAS) have been found clamping and seizing vehicles the law clearly says they cannot touch. Why? Because they are a subsidiary of cock-up kings Capita whom LBs fondly know as Crapita. Need I say more?
                Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

could you just insure third party while you recover?
                  Never give up, Never surrender.

Comment

There's nothing in law that says you can't downgrade your insurance to lesser cover, so long as it complies with the minimum requirements of the Road Traffic Act. The only problem that might be encountered is if a vehicle is on finance and the finance company requires a higher level of cover, or an insurer will only insure comprehensively. However, such requirements are rare.
                    Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X