• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Re-claiming Capital One charges

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-claiming Capital One charges

Hi Guys,

I have started the process of getting my charges back from cap1.
    About £600s worth.

However, they have written to me stating that they will robustly defend any claim.

Where does it state that I am right and how do I enter this as a claim?
    Also, how much will all this cost me as I am very tight budget at moment?

I say this as I can't seem to find anywhere that states their £12 charges are illegal?
    Tags: None

Re: Re-claiming Capital One charges

if you find a way please let me know
    i have £500 in there charges that would help clear the outstanding balance
    Bought some tablets today to build my strength up .. cant get the bloody lid off.

Comment

Originally posted by wakeywakey View Post
      Hi Guys,

I have started the process of getting my charges back from cap1.
      About £600s worth.

However, they have written to me stating that they will robustly defend any claim.

Where does it state that I am right and how do I enter this as a claim?
      Also, how much will all this cost me as I am very tight budget at moment?

I say this as I can't seem to find anywhere that states their £12 charges are illegal?
      Standard template reply from Crap One. Also It has never been stated that £12.00 was legal, what was said was That intervention will not take place for a figure of £12.00 or less as I remember.
      Last edited by MIKE770; 14th May 2012, 06:53:AM. Reason: addendum

Comment

This might be helpful (apologies if it is mentioned elsewhere on this website).
        http://www.oft.gov.uk/news-and-updates/press/2006/68-06

Comment

Cap 1 will indicate their charges are in line with the Office of Fair Trading Guidelines. The OFT did not give them permission to charge £12.00 I include these quotes from OFT “We are not suggesting that default fees should be set at £12, and a court will certainly not consider that a default fee is fair just because it is below the threshold”.“We consider that a contract term is likely to be unfair if it requires consumers to pay more as a result of a default than the court would order them to pay if they were sued for breach of contract. This means that a default charge should not exceed a reasonable pre-estimate of the administrative costs that the consumer ought to have realised would be likely to be incurred by his or her card issuer in dealing with defaults”.

In order for them to charge you £12.00 they must demonstrate that it cost them £12.00.

Comment

HI wakeywakey

Cap One will refuse you saying thier charges are legal bla bla.
            However, keep up with your claim. sen them another letter a letter before action letter, it states you are still going to file at court. I did this 2 year ago and filed to court, around £120 it costs me, nut it was worth every penny as they paid up.... I didnt have to wait too long either.
            £80 which of course I refused................
            So stick to your guns as I did and it will pay off.t
            Budgie helped me wih my claim, he was fabulous as did Ame and others too, all sooooooooooo helpful

Comment

hello All; I am in the throws of claiming back around £400 in charges from cap one with 25% interest. I am having trouble wiht my spreadhseet. I have privately message Ame to see if she can help me with it. Ame can you help or anyone else look at it for me. Then I need the template for 1st letter, 2nd etc. Cant seem to see it on the forum as things have changed a little

Many thanks in advance

Comment

look under Budgies threads

Comment

My claim was denied by the FOS.
                  They stated that Cap1 had sent them confidential information as to why it costs £12 for these charges.
                  I then stated that most of the £12 were indeed £24 as they charged me twice for the same misdemeanour, meaning one £12 for late payment and one £12 for being over limit. But they said that was just how the terms & conditions works.
                  Is it worth me asking the ombudsman to review the case?

Comment

Yes why not!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X