• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

not sure what to do

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• not sure what to do

Hello

I am upset, confused and angry

I was employed for 3 and a half years with no union and no one to turn to for support

I lost pre hearing case due to personal issues, I had malfunction with some equipment and it did not come back from repair in time

No cushion, adjustable in height trolley provided after first accident.

I was told would have been a good valid claim for constructive unfair dismissal and disability discrimination

Around 2 1/2 years earlier I suffered some work injuries, which the department of pensions ruled in my favour as an accident - whom made decision some 12 months after I was told would be better but was not advised of Industrial Injury Benefit when first claim made.

About this time I had 3 months off due to injury, I was paid a bonus and sick pay but I did not receive my full pay for that period.
    I made solicitor aware I was due to be paid this if not off sick, I returned for part time employment some time after but was only compensated for that, my claim settled less than £4000 which left me some £865 short now over 25 thousand in earnings.

I then unfortunately suffered further injury some one and half year later due to still not being properly trained e.g. no video being shown, suffered harrassment with medical reports discussed in open and suffered a mental Breakdown - I cannot talk about that here but can tell people private message

I had sought counseling and am on anti depressents but could not take when happened due to anxiety from loss of family member, and I was on Diazapam and could not mix anti depressents together with these, when prescribed some, some disagreed with me.

Would making the HR team aware of my illness but their lack of action to do anything about it , still make them negligent?

I have a personal injury claim out for the depression which started before employment route, as it had been acknowledged in PHR and deliberately made out that I had it 3 years before I joined them. Shortly after first injuries, employer deliberately changed insurers. CAB and Acas both advised personal injury route due to further time limits for depression even the people who wrote report for first accident told me to.

I was just wondering, as I understand six year period for breach of contract, who's opinion the breach of contract would be, my former employer for not paying wages when off sick or solicitor for not double checking schedule of loss and making sure with me first it was correct which I told them I was not satisfied with it and plus I did not work notice period only given PILION of two weeks when contract said four but paid for four in arears when forced to resign on health grounds some 18 months later

Thanks
    Tags: None

Re: not sure what to do

good evening and welcome

you will prob guess by my avatar that i am a trade union official and ill try and help

just reading your statement you mention pre-hearing case and statement of loss

has this been or in progress at an employment tribunal

how large is the employer roughly in staff numbers

Comment

Hello

Thanks for trying to help, must admit worked with firms no unions so unions new to me.

It is in progress for going to civil court for personal injury route

There are around 5000 employees

I was not only one who suffered breakdown and forced out.

Comment

who is handling the civil claim

do you have a solicitor

Comment

Yes I have solicitor, unfortunately the employment side out of time so was advised to do personal injury due to longer time issues, going to see expert soon on report of depression but I have report from counseller confirming due to bulllying

Comment

its a shame you do not have a trade union, people say what use are they in this day and age, yours is a perfect example why we need trade unions in this day and age with underhand performance management draconian attitudes by employeers

your solicitor is right in that you only have three months less a day to bring a claim to an employment tribunal

did your company have an occupational health advisor

Comment

Are they still neglient in terms of the pay for breach of contract in civil court six year period?

I was not advised by solicitor minus one day to bring it in

Yes they had a doctor, who saw me twice in person whom they did not believe, they left some 9 months later, for me to have medical reports sent to another firm, who failed to see me in person and said i was better without an assessment. My GP confirmed I was not better.

Comment

i do not know if your solicitor is up on health and safety legislation but he/she needs to be made aware of your consultation with occupational health and their failure to look after your welfare

it is a legal requirement under the health and safety at work act

you can bring a civil claim, no problem in that but what has your solictor have to say on that aspect of any claim

forget unlawful or constructive dismissal, that option is long gone but you can claim loss of wages, bonus, breach of contract etc

again i will say

what does your solicitor say on this employment side of a claim

Comment

I shall make her aware of the occupational healths side of it. I told her MRI was done a year after first accident not sooner. I did ask them when personal injury claim first started if I should do employment claim too they failed to answer question, and I stilll have email asking, I was going to phone to chase but my faulty hearing aids when others in repair, I could not use the phone due to squeak in ear as others faulty.

The argument is I had a trolley, but it was not available on day of first accident, and if it had been I would have still had to bend down with no adjustable in height trolley, reported accident, manager refused to accept injury and failed to report to management in head office, and failed to do risk assessment. They were also told twenty minutes of shredding but I was forced to do three segments of 20 mins when 13 members in the team where there no work passed to them and others with bad backs taken off work. Not even video on manual handling even shown, surely that important. When final report with no assessment came in I was forced to stand 50 mins or more making sciatica worse, had never heard of that prior first injury.

Occupational health said no lifting over 5 kilos, they refused to accept five reams of paper not in individual reams remotely heavy, when evidence shows 13 kilos, I used common sense to take 300 sheets max out at a time in excess of 2 kilos. First assessment in person even said no bending, when firm moved offices, paper was in ridiculously high places with no step ladder or too low down even having to bend down.
                  I did ask when I first started personal injury before she joined, if I should do personal injury claim , they did not answer my question, when I was going to ring my hearing aids malfunctioned and being deaf I cannot use phone without them
                  Last edited by lostfaith; 10th May 2012, 19:26:PM.

Comment

let me know if you have problems with the civil claim from your solicitor about claiming wages etc which will be seperate from the personel injury claim, but make sure your solicitor knows about your occupational health appointment and the failure of your employer to take action

keep your thread updated so i can keep an eye on it and good luck

Comment

If I may raise a point, the Protection from Harassment Act 1997 may provide the OP with some ammunition. Also, the Court of Appeal ruling in the case of Mjrowski -v- Guys & St Thomas's NHS Trust 2005 may have some clout. If the OP were to launch a claim under Section 3 of the PHA, this would give them six years to claim and the Limitation Act 1980 does not apply to psychological injury (Section 3 refers). Hope this of some help.
                      Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

tell me bluebottle

in general, is the protection from harassment act used any more since CPUTR came into force

i know its used for a dca but ime talking of a wider scope

Comment

Thanks, guys, appreciate it, was not aware I can bring seperate things in or does that make it harder or should they all be different issues e.g. different solicitor handling each one

It is a shame with my equipment malfunctioning and thought I did right thing prior to case starting if I should go employment route also but they did not answer my question

Is it worth telling the medical expert my GP advised I cannot work for some time and give him or her my counselors report?

It is a real shame equality law not in effect prior 2010

I am improving and have registered self employed, it gets me out the house and meet new people to forget about the past but three years of my life was affected by this.

Comment

It is a real shame equality law not in effect prior 2010

but they were prior to 2010

the equality act came into force in 2010, that is correct, all the other acts came together to make up the equality act

prior to that we had the sex discrimination act
                            equal pay
                            trans gender
                            dissability discrimination act
                            etc,etc

your situation would come under the dissability discrimination act so you have not been given the full facts

Comment

Hi there lostfaith,

Sorry to hear how upset you are, just try and keep positive, I know its hard cos I'm there right now.

I can relate to the above as I went to the E.T and lost and am in the process of putting an appeal together. However I am really worried about costs at Appeal being awarded. To bring the appeal I don't think would be unreasonable.

"Would making the HR team aware of my illness but their lack of action to do anything about it , still make them negligent?" This is exactly what happened in my case and the judge failed to spot this so, on law I think this forms part of my appeal, in addition to this the judgement is 100% bias and sided with the respondent.

I also, "suffered harrassment with medical reports discussed in open and suffered a mental Breakdown", in my case, my medical report was openly passed around despite the fact I asked for it to go to ONE hr manager.

Please PM me details as I would be interested in the route you take in the civil court within 6 years of leaving as I too may choose to go down that route also and would be good to discuss my options.

All the best and look forward to any comments/ PM messages

Regards

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X