• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Discussion on what peeps want from a meet up

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LB Meet-Spring 2012--YORK - LB's 5th Birthday!!

In my opinion I think one of the most recent comments is offensive and totally uncalled for.

I couldnt stay long enough to chat to everyone last Saturday but I did enjoy meeting you all in Stonegate Yard. Hopefully I will be able to properly attend the next meet. I had only been to the Wakefield one before.

Comment

Well why not start a thread and see what people would like from a meet.

Comment

Originally posted by Turboman View Post
        Last meet at Wolverhampton was as cheap & cheerful as they come--6 members I believe
        Oi who you calling cheap msl:

Ok just jumping in here from what I can remember there was a few more than 6 members at Wolverhampton and no one had to stay at the Travelodge, in fact there was a fabulous hotel at the racetrack a Holiday Inn I believe, so everyone could make it as cheap or expensive as they wanted, for those who are interested we did consider booking in the hotel but felt that for the sake of one night we would 'rough it' in the Travelodge and we had a hilarious night and stayed up till god knows what hour drinking and debating with the others.

I wil start a thread soon.

Comment

Well as I opened my big gob and volunteered to organise another meet, I need to ask a few questions of those who attended the York meet. I realise that not everyone has fat wallets or bank accounts brimming with spare cash, so, If you don't mind please can you let me know roughly what you spent on the following things, then I can collate the figures and try to come up with something that will (hopefully) suit everyone.

a) Hotel
          b) Travel
          c) Food
          d) Drinks
          e) Trips/sightseeing
          d) Incidentals

Now I don't expect people to post their private business on here, if you wish to then fine, but otherwise please send me a pm.

Alternatively, you can tell me to bog off and mind my own business.

Comment

Cheap as poss, like to have an outing as well as a pish up xxx

I think York was good as we just dipped in and out as it suited us and the kids and we did end up staying much longer than intended lol.

London was excellent, the organised trip round the HOC was a central meet up bit and the pub afters, and we had our own free entertainment day before and after with walking the Jubilee Greenway and showing Nelly the sights and the free museums (and walking her to blisterdom!)...

Wolverhampton was a good laugh, a nice dinner and the gambling,

Nottingham we had lunch and a tour of the galleries of Justice (and me, Nelly and Tools went down the caves as well) -

I think Birmingam was just meet up for an evening of drinks in a pub (we spent a day having a look around the place too),

Peterborough was the pub after some peeps went for dinner,

I know Wakefield always was a lets get hammered expedition lol.

I think if you have a meet have one thing organised to DO for those that want to, and an evening pub meet for everyone to join in with. We couldn't have afforded to come for two nights, posh lunch, posh dinner and hotel, so just popped in for the quiz and to say Hi in the evening (tho somehow stayed the entire night and ended up with puddings and a steak lol). It's what you make it, no pressure, things are available to do if peeps want to explore the location the meet is in but the focus really should be on an evening get together to catch up and have a giggle. If it's too organised it could put peeps off, but if theres nothing to do peeps might be worried about hanging about all day in a strange city not knowing anyone waiting for an evening meet, so its nice people get together and arrange outings and welcome along anyone who wants to, but keep it no pressure, with the main ''meet'' a cheap cheerful night out in the pub and weatherspoons grub if wanted.

That's my thoughts anyways and I appear to have been to all of the meets so far lol.

Oh, and I've shifted these posts off the York thread....
            Last edited by Amethyst; 10th May 2012, 12:46:PM.
            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

BRIGHTON ROCKS!

:tinysmile_kiss_t4:

I don't mind what we do or where............
              "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Actually I think the way York was done was ideal. Nobody was pressurised into doing anything. Turbs got the information, and it was up to the individual to choose what to do with it. On Saturday afternoon I needed a break so just sat and read a book. There was no pressure to do anything, it was more a case of, "we're doing this, do you want to come along". I for one wouldn't have travelled all the way from Scotland to York to spend my weekend in a pub.
                Turbs and Mrs. Turbs did a fantastic job. I went to York to put faces to names, a meet, not a conference. So Turbs, once again, thanks for a fantastic weekend.

Comment

Re: Discussion on what peeps want from a meet up

Well as you stated 'weekend' some people can not spend the time nor the money on a weekend and they should feel they can attend also, as some did on this meet.

Comment

LOL, Ame - I got the shock of my life when I saw a thread I couldn't remember starting last night - I NEARLY went teetotal !!!

Turbo and I initially disagreed about the 'Us and Them' aspect of having an 'Economy Class cabin,' and I could see his point that some of us wouldn't want to be labelled as such. As the self-appointed Economy trolley-dolly, I was happy to simply invite peeps to do some of the stuff I did, along with me. Others did the same with other activities/attractions. In the end, I never went to the freebie Railway Museum or the Minster, but others did. Some came for the whole weekend, and others just for a day - or even just a couple of hours. I think the London meet was similar, in that some members met on Friday and went to a show. I didn't, and I arrived Saturday (having missed the Westminster tour - thanks to East Coast Rail). I was amazed to find a Central London Wetherspoon's charging 'sensible' prices, and enjoyed an evening's boozing. Sunday was yet another option, with a small bunch of us meeting up at the freebie museums in Kensington. Nobody was obliged to do anything in particular, but various things were made available, or suggested. Well within my budget, but for those who wanted to 'paint the town,' the option was there, too.

A point which one prominent member made to me was that they don't go on holidays very much, so when they do go on a LB meet, they like to 'push the boat out,' and make an occasion of it. I am guessing that this may apply to several others, too. Me - I've still got a young kid, and we've got three separate holidays booked this year. As a dad, my 'Ouse Booze Cruise' weekend had to take lowest budgetary priority. Maybe next year, I'll have more cash to splash - who knows ? So - I agree with Enaid, that we need to cater for as many as possible - and I think the London meet was a good example of this, TBH. It's not a matter of 'Us and Them,' but more of 'Horses for Courses,' where we each have our own needs, wants and limitations. Some financial, some physical - some permanent and some temporary.

Sure, there were some major disagreements and difficult decisions, and this is to be expected when there is a team effort. We all had our opportunity to say what we thought - and we sure did !!! So it was a team result - and a good one, I reckon. In the end, the guys pulled it all together, and I believe we ALL enjoyed the options we each took throughout the weekend - for whatever reasons we had for taking them. I, for one, intend to re-visit York with my family some time, as I fell in love with the place.

Yep - the LB 'Brighton Conference' was merely a suggestion, with a 'traditional' option of Blackpool later in the year. It sounds like Sapphire has summat speshul up her sleeve, though - I'm intrigued.

Comment

My idea of a good meet up is, something for everyone, like i york by the sounds of it.

I've read the entire thread, and I did not go to York as 1, no childcare and 2, 3 kids taken poorly over the w/end resulting in me having 1 hours sleep, but from what I've read those that did go had a roaring time, and I think it is impolite to criticise something you didnt attend. Turbo put a load of work in to the last meet, and I think he deserves a lot of congratulations rather than being told, well I would have done it this way.

Personally, I can think of nothing more intimidating that "You have never met me, we will go to X pub in X town and stare at each other all night." The idea of if you want there is A, B, and C and him and her and those 2 want to do that too.. is much more appealing.
                      and from what I read the emphasis in all the meet up posts was IF.

Bill, childcare and work (hopefully) permitting, I can do London and Blackpool (but that would be a 1 dayer) Manchester is good for me too
                      if nessacary (and again this is IF i can attend) I am happy to pick people up in Barnsley, Doncaster or Meadowhall, I can take 4 in my motor. and IF i go and collect people, no silliness about diesel money, im using the diesel anyway!!

Comment

[QUOTE=puffrose;264281]

and I think it is impolite to criticise something you didnt attend. Turbo put a load of work in to the last meet, and I think he deserves a lot of congratulations rather than being told, well I would have done it this way.

Erm where exactly is this on the thread?

Comment

This thread was originally started by Turbo as the main LB York meet thread, but Ame has now separated it from there as a separate thread entitled "Discussion on what peeps want from a meet-up." As post #1 is one of mine, then I appear to be the OP, but from the new thread title, I think the idea is for us all to put our views and say what we want from a meet - with a view to making future meets better and bigger. So, we should be looking at the previous meets (including York), and learning from them - taking the good, bad and debateable aspects of each. What Enaid appears to be saying (as I read it) is exactly what we discussed earlier in planning the York meet, where Turbo himself became aware that all the work he had done might make it look too 'regimented.' This was where I suggested the 'Economy Class Cabin,' and was happy to be the cabin crew for it. I think it all worked fine, in the end, and I personally would suggest we do it that way again. I think it concurs with what Enaid is suggesting, and it worked fine in London and York, I believe - so I don't think there is any argument to be had there, as we all seem to agree.

If, however, I have misunderstood Enaid's points - then I apologise. If Enaid is suggesting that we make every meet a low-budget, one-night only, booze-up - then I would disagree with her there. But I don't think she is. She appears to be advocating options and freedom - as opposed to rigid regime - and that's what was used to good effect, I believe, in London and York.

If Enaid is simply being negative for the sake of it, or deliberately winding Turbo up, then I would have to ask her to check her meds, as that isn't the Enaid that I know and lurve !!!

Let's pick at the carcass and chew the fat, etc., but with the purpose of making future meets bigger and better - and not to belittle the efforts of all those who have organised the meets over the years. May our criticism be constructive.

Comment

Bill as you well know the other meets we have had and the ones that have been cancelled through different reasons have all been for 1day/ night which ever way you see it.
                            We had a few northern meets and we had a good do, as was suggested it went darn sarf and as many times before we gave options etc on dates and everything else you can think of and as always we could not please everyone (a fact of life) I said a darn sarf meet it will be and it will be London no choice that's it, simply because giving too many choices would once again make it impossible.
                            I stated there and then that as I had never visited the capital I would be doing the weekend and not 1 night as is the norm on the meets.
                            So I blame myself for making things into a weekend break, it was not my intention and I would have done 2 nights had I been on my own for 1 night although I did have an idea I wouldn't be.
                            So I am now saying that it is not set in stone that things get bigger and better cause I fear that may happen, it is not a competition on who can organise the best meet, it is for all to discuss and for all members to be able attend if they so wish.
                            I have not knocked Turbo for the work he has put in and I defy anyone to say I have, I will say though you can flog yer arse off and you still may not increase the numbers of attendees, all I was trying to do was bring it back down to earth lol and more accessible to all no more no less.

Comment

Hi
                              Speaking as someone who is extremely jealous of those who went on the meet, I wold like to offer my suggestion for the next one up here Int north, which I fully intend to go to come hell or high water.
                              The venue I would recommend is situated on the north pier at Blackpool, I won’t give the name just yet because you would just goggle it and see that it was listed as a lap dancing club; this does the venue a great disservice.
                              Lap dancing is confined to only one or two rooms in the complex and there are at least another two where tea and biscuits are served for the ladies.
                              If you require further details please PM me and I will let you have the link and my membership number so you can obtain the frequent flyer discount.
                              Peter

Comment

I wasn't having a dig at you, Enaid. I guess I'm getting a bit confused. I'm not a 'meet veteran,' and have only been to 3 meets (plus a little seminar). As far as I was aware, the London meet was a weekend event, just like York. I believe EXC organised a visit to Lez Miz on the Friday, Ame/Tools the H.o.P. "hop," and booze-up on Saturday, followed by the museums on Sunday. All optional, just like York. When you mentioned the attendance levels at meets, I thought that you were attaching some relevance to that. If 3 peeps meeting in a pub for one night is as good as 20 invading England's second city, then I beg to differ, ma'am.

I really do NOT understand what you are trying to say - or achieve - and I am sorry for that.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X