• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Drink Driving

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drink Driving

I'm a member of another forum to do with motorhomes. Several people (including us) like to 'wild camp' responsibly, staying legitimately at places where one is permitted.

So, the question, if say I was staying legitimately in a beach car park and had had a good drink, then slept in the motorhome overnight, could I be done for drink driving that night as technically I'm in possession of a motor vehicle? Obviously I know the dangers of driving the following morning.

Any views gratefully received. Although this does not involve me, this is not a theoretical question.
    Tags: None

Re: Drink Driving

As long as you are on private property AND the keys are well out of the way, then you should be fine.
    If in any doubt leave the keys OUTSIDE of the van, somewhere safe of course.

Comment

can your partner drive?

I would say if the keys are in the possesion of someone able to drive your ok. After all its not an offence to be drunk IN a car (or half of Bills passengers would be inside). Some rural pubs actually take keys from drivers to ensure you dont drink drive.

Comment

not sure to be honest

dont you have to have your keys in your possession to be able to operate the vehicle to be prosecuted

just thinking i heard that before but please

i dont know for sure

Comment

This is where it is more complex as the partner could not drive, it was in a public beach car park, but where overnight stays are permitted. Obviously leaving the keys outside is not a practical option for security reasons, so the keys have to be inside the vehicle.

I don't know whether the fact there are beds made up inside makes any difference whatsoever?

Comment

I'd be tempted to take the wheels of the motor home when I was blind drunk, then the very next morning scratch my head and wonder who the hell nicked my wheels.
            ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
            Could the battery be easily removed?
            Last edited by cards down; 2nd May 2012, 21:31:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
            If Knowledge is Power . . . . . . .Then I Could Easily Light an L.E.D

Comment

Personally I don't see how you could be prosecuted for drink driving if you wasn't actually physically driving! So unless you're sat in the drivers seat with the key in the ignition, I would say it would difficult to prove a case of DUI!

Comment

Its Being Drunk In Charge Of A Vehicle, Not Driving

Comment

Militant has got it. The offence is Being in Charge of a Motor Vehicle Whilst Under the Influence of Drink or Drugs. You only have to have the keys in your pocket or hand to commit an offence. The defence to the offence is if you can prove there was no likelihood of you driving whilst unfit to do so through drink or drugs.
                  Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
                    Militant has got it. The offence is Being in Charge of a Motor Vehicle Whilst Under the Influence of Drink or Drugs. You only have to have the keys in your pocket or hand to commit an offence. The defence to the offence is if you can prove there was no likelihood of you driving whilst unfit to do so through drink or drugs.
                    And I would imagine sleeping in a motorhome would be deemed a reasonable occasion to be in 'charge' of the keys but not planning on driving.

Whereas a sleepover in a Fiat Cinquecerrappo would not?
                    "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

I would assume if a passing constable was to come across someone asleep in a motorhome, sound asleep and snoring, that as long as said motorhome wasnt parked in someones hedge, or halfway up an embankment, that you would be ok.

If its somewhere you go regularly it may be worth asking the local landlord/lady if they will keep your keys for you, i think some hotels may offer a safety deposit box for a small charge (the one i worked in did)

Comment

I ask on behalf of a friend who has just been done for this. He was not actually asleep, but was intending staying the night, and all signs were that they were settled in for the night. However the local plod, possibly being over zealous, did him and he is now facing a ban.

I just wondered what his chances were of submitting a decent defence.

Thanks for your replies so far!

Comment

In many long established truck stops they have a pub, truckers who use the pub usually put their keys in one of the lockers in the cab so that if the police do arrive the presumption is that the driver is there to sleep and has no intention of driving.

I believe that as long as the keys are out of sight and that the vehicle is equipped for sleeping, then you should be fine.

Comment

I would like to think that if all the signs were that he was settled in for the night a judge would think twice about banning him.

On a similar line i googled this to see if i could find i legislation etc, and discovered you can be arrested for drunk in charge of a wheelchair! OOPS guilty as charged when i was 18!!!

Comment

Section 5 Road Traffic Act 1988

Drunk Whilst In Charge Of A Motor Vehicle

Section 5(1)(b) Road Traffic Act 1988. Drunk in charge of a motor vehicle.If you are charged with being Drunk in Charge of a Motor Vehicle, the police may lead you to believe that establishing that you were over the legal limit and in possession of the keys whilst inside or close to your car is sufficient for the offence to be made out. There is a defence often overlooked by the police officers in interview whereupon a person is entitled to be acquitted if he can establish that there was no likelihood of him driving whilst he remained over the legal limit.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X