• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Voluntary Termination of a Hire purchase or conditional loan under the CCA 1974

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Voluntary Termination of a Hire purchase or conditional loan under the CCA 1974

Originally posted by sscoular View Post
    Hello all, looking for a bit of advise, looking to VT my agreement with close brothers motor finance due to not being able to afford car anymore, i will be about £2,200 short of the 50% but can raise this, my question is when i send the VT letter from and give them 14 days to collect car do i need to sign anything they send out to me and also do i need to have the £2,200 before i send the VT letter or can i pay it once they agree to the VT, sorry one other question, do i cancel my direct debit 14 days after i send the VT letter

Yes, you write your letter to terminate, they will invoice you the final amount, and then you pay it within a reasonable time 14-30 days usually - send your letter recorded delivery make sure it arrives on time once it has been received and signed for then cancel your DD
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

• Re: Voluntary Termination of a Hire purchase or conditional loan under the CCA 1974

HI R0b, thanks for the quick reply,just so i understand clearly, i send the VT letter (i think there is a template in this thread) and they should invoice me the balance between what i have paid them and what the 50% is? i them pay them this within 14-30 days and should i cancel the DD 14 days after they sign for receiving the VT letter, also i take it i do not sign anything they send out to me, thanks again in advance
      Gggg

Comment

Yes, send the VT letter which mentions s.99 an liability under s.100. They should invoice you the difference between what you have paid and what is owed up to 50% of the total amount payable. you would normally need to pay them within a reaosnable time which is usually deemed 14 days or more. As for cancelling your DD, there's nothing within the CCA that says how much notice is given before terminated but as I said in my post, if the letter sent recorded delivery then you could say the letter is terminated as soon as it has been received by them and cancel you DD. You could probably add that into the letter if you like.

you are not obliged to sign anything they ask, thy may send a letter asking to sign and return slip to agree to pay collection, excess mileage charges or a damage report. There is no obligation for you to do that, just be aware if you sign someting like the damage report you are effectively agreeing to the damage and will be difficult to get out of.

You may also wish to insert something like the agreement is hereby terminated effective immediately and give them a contact number to arrange collection.

Make sure you take plenty of photographs inside and out of the car including any scratches, marks or dents, there is no need to have the car valeted but you should really give it a hoover and tidy up so is in a reasonable state.
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Hello to everyone affiliated to this board, thank you for all existing posts it has proved to be a very useful source of information indeed. I am looking to VT my agreement with Honda Finance after reaching the 50% payments. I have read through this most of this thread but I am unsure on a few points if I could ask for some advice please. I am ready to send my letter to Honda advising I wish to VT

1. I have read on here that I would have to give 28 / 31 days notice to VT as my yearly payment is less than £1500 but after speaking with Honda today they did not mention this notice period (I did ask). They just said they would look to collect the car as soon as possible. If Honda collect / I drop off my car within the 28 / 31 days is it possible that I would be hit with a retrospective charge from Honda? Also they said they cannot arrange to collect the car until I have signed the pack they will send in the post which could take up to ten days - is this right?

2. The MOT expires on 29/01/2016 - is there a minimum number of days it has to be valid for when I VT?

3. My car is due its yearly service on 22/01/2016 (I have had the car serviced yearly with a Honda main dealer since owning the car). Should I look to get it serviced before I VT?

4. Honda have advised I can drop the car off at the nearest auction house in Birmingham which I don't consider to be a reasonable distance to travel. They also gave me the option of having it collected for a charge of £108. I have read on this forum that they cannot charge anything for collecting the car and they must offer a local drop off point. I would probably drop the car off if they offered somewhere more local within say 30 miles. Am I within my rights to refuse to pay the collection charge (it is in the agreement t's and c's that the £108 is payable)

Really appreciate any help with this

James

Comment

Originally posted by James1982 View Post
            Hello to everyone affiliated to this board, thank you for all existing posts it has proved to be a very useful source of information indeed. I am looking to VT my agreement with Honda Finance after reaching the 50% payments. I have read through this most of this thread but I am unsure on a few points if I could ask for some advice please. I am ready to send my letter to Honda advising I wish to VT

1. I have read on here that I would have to give 28 / 31 days notice to VT as my yearly payment is less than £1500 but after speaking with Honda today they did not mention this notice period (I did ask). They just said they would look to collect the car as soon as possible. If Honda collect / I drop off my car within the 28 / 31 days is it possible that I would be hit with a retrospective charge from Honda? Also they said they cannot arrange to collect the car until I have signed the pack they will send in the post which could take up to ten days - is this right?

There's nothing within the act that says you cant terminate immediately. You could say the agreement is terminated effective immediately upon receipt of the letter (48-72 hours after posting).

2. The MOT expires on 29/01/2016 - is there a minimum number of days it has to be valid for when I VT?

No, but you should inform them of the date of MOT if its close.

3. My car is due its yearly service on 22/01/2016 (I have had the car serviced yearly with a Honda main dealer since owning the car). Should I look to get it serviced before I VT?

No, there is no point wasting more money.

4. Honda have advised I can drop the car off at the nearest auction house in Birmingham which I don't consider to be a reasonable distance to travel. They also gave me the option of having it collected for a charge of £108. I have read on this forum that they cannot charge anything for collecting the car and they must offer a local drop off point. I would probably drop the car off if they offered somewhere more local within say 30 miles. Am I within my rights to refuse to pay the collection charge (it is in the agreement t's and c's that the £108 is payable)

I wouldn't agree to paying for the collection charges, they own the car they should come and collect it. If its not in a reasonable distance to what you feel then they will have to collect free of charge.

Really appreciate any help with this

James

See my comments in red above.
            LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

Thank you R0b for the quick reply. A few more questions if I may:

If I state in the letter that the agreement is terminated immediately, can I still drive the car until it is collected or I drop it off? (I am guessing I can as they have given me the option of taking it to the auction house). Do I send off the v5 documents to the DVLA only once I have handed the car over? Also will it be ok to keep the car parked on the road in the time between sending the letter and having the car collected / dropped off at the auction house? (I will only cancel the tax and insurance when the car is no longer in my possession)

If Honda refuse to collect the car free of charge and / or insist on me driving to Birmingham where do I stand? I can't make them do as I would like them to can I? It does state in the t's and c's that the collection charge is applicable

Comment

Originally posted by James1982 View Post
                Thank you R0b for the quick reply. A few more questions if I may:

If I state in the letter that the agreement is terminated immediately, can I still drive the car until it is collected or I drop it off? (I am guessing I can as they have given me the option of taking it to the auction house). Do I send off the v5 documents to the DVLA only once I have handed the car over? Also will it be ok to keep the car parked on the road in the time between sending the letter and having the car collected / dropped off at the auction house? (I will only cancel the tax and insurance when the car is no longer in my possession)

If Honda refuse to collect the car free of charge and / or insist on me driving to Birmingham where do I stand? I can't make them do as I would like them to can I? It does state in the t's and c's that the collection charge is applicable
                Yes, you hold possession of it for them until they come to collect so you could use it but I'd advise to use it as little as possible unless they say you cannot use it. You will need to get the agent to countersign the V5 and then send off once they have collected. Yes you can keep it on the road provided it is taxed and insured. Write in your letter you give them 14 days to collect the car, if they refuse to do so then you will cancel tax/insurance and charge them for storage until they come to collect. They are usually quite prompt on collecting although be reasonable, if they can collect in 15 days theres no point cancelling the tax/insurance.

They might send you a letter confirming the agreement is terminated and ask to sign and return slip to sy you agree to collection charges, dont send it back. If they call or their agent calls to collect the car and mentions charges say you ar enot obliged to pay for them as you have VT'd the contract. If they continue to argue then simply tell them that you will cancel the tax/insurance after 14 days and then invoice them for storage of the car until they collect or you could say that once the tax/insurance is cancelled, it is their responsibility as they have been given adequate notice to collect. They will soon come collect the car.
                LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

R0b, sincere thanks for your detailed reply, I'm sure you have better things to be doing on a Monday evening :-). I will proceed as you have recommended and see how it pans out. I will report back with the (hopefully successful) outcome. Does the website accept donations as I would like to show my appreciation somehow. Thank you, James.

Comment

No worries, just make sure when you right to them you specifically mention that you are writing to terminate in accordance with section 99 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 so there is no confusion, and best advised recorded delivery or at least get proof of postage from the post office.
                    LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post
                      No worries, just make sure when you right to them you specifically mention that you are writing to terminate in accordance with section 99 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 so there is no confusion, and best advised recorded delivery or at least get proof of postage from the post office.

hi im new to this forum and in desperate need of help.

i sent GMAC ( the finance company through vauxhall) a completed version of the template on the beginning of the thread and i received a letter today from gmac. please see attached.

i am very confused with the wording that they use. i would be extremely thankful if someone could advise me.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

thanks in advance

Comment

well, those charges are extremely high to be honest and there's no requirement for you to comply with most of those, although you will need the V5, and it is wise to have kept any receipts for repairs/services.

Other than that you have paid half the total amount so you are fine. What are the charges for these additional products?
                        LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

well, those charges are extremely high to be honest and there's no requirement for you to comply with most of those, although you will need the V5, and it is wise to have kept any receipts for repairs/services.

Other than that you have paid half the total amount so you are fine. What are the charges for these additional products?
                          It's for GAP insurance, Which was included in my monthly payments.

How should I respond to GMAC? Not to sign anything in the photos above and just send them email explaining that I sent the letter which is all I need to do and that they have 14 days to mutually arrange a time at my home address to inspect and collect the car? After 14 days I'll charge for keeping the car at my. I take photos of the car this weekend once it's washed.

With regards to the V5, when shall I complete and send section 9 to the dvla? Before or after the car has been inspected and/or collected

Comment

Originally posted by ieuuu View Post
                            It's for GAP insurance, Which was included in my monthly payments.

How should I respond to GMAC? Not to sign anything in the photos above and just send them email explaining that I sent the letter which is all I need to do and that they have 14 days to mutually arrange a time at my home address to inspect and collect the car? After 14 days I'll charge for keeping the car at my. I take photos of the car this weekend once it's washed.

With regards to the V5, when shall I complete and send section 9 to the dvla? Before or after the car has been inspected and/or collected
                            You'll have to pay off the GAP insurance, unless there anything to say otherwise in the terms of the agreement. IF you do have an email address then yes, send them an email and say half the total amount has been paid they need to contact you to arrange delivery within 14 days or you shall charge (£5/10?) per day after that for retaining the car.

I would keep hold of the V5 until the agent or someone from GMAC comes to collect as you will need it countersigned. Plus if you still need to drive the car for whatever reason then you can still do so in the meantime. Just remember you don't need to sign any paperwork or inspection report and the moment you do, the harder it will be to argue charges.
                            LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

You'll have to pay off the GAP insurance, unless there anything to say otherwise in the terms of the agreement. IF you do have an email address then yes, send them an email and say half the total amount has been paid they need to contact you to arrange delivery within 14 days or you shall charge (£5/10?) per day after that for retaining the car.

I would keep hold of the V5 until the agent or someone from GMAC comes to collect as you will need it countersigned. Plus if you still need to drive the car for whatever reason then you can still do so in the meantime. Just remember you don't need to sign any paperwork or inspection report and the moment you do, the harder it will be to argue charges.
                              Thanks for your reply.

Are you sure I don't need to sign the inspection report? Wouldn't I get a copy there and then on inspection and collection That would prove there is no damage above wear and tear on collection? I wouldn't want to be charged for damage which occured after collection?

Comment

On the day of pick up buy a paper (your choice:santa_smileyand include it in photos of the car showing there is no damage. Inside and outside. If the report is acceptable to you then sign it but make sure there is not some unacceptable conditions contained.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X