• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Can we get the police to help ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can we get the police to help ?

Passports remain property of the Government, therefore the Police in certain circumstances could intervene I would of thought??

Comment

I was honestly under the impression that, in the case of single parent families, the parent leaving the country needed the other parents permisson to remove the child from the country. I know that after I split with an ex the police took me to his flat to remove my drivers licence, passport and items of clothing, so I assume they would go with a parent to retrieve a passport.

Comment

Thank you Shell and Mike 770 for your support and sugestions

Dear Puffrose

I believe it depends on if you were married or not
        I was an unmarried single parent long time ago and i looked into my rights then and father has no legal rights at all re child. i refused to allow my ex boyfriend to see my daughter after a disaster of trial visits. He took me to court and he lost
        I havent heard of any changes but i am sure that will change in time with groups like Children need Fathers and remember the Super Dads stunts ?

Thanks again for encouragement

bambisoloved

Comment

I think that the Police would say this is a civil problem, and probably wouldn't get involved. Perhaps ring the Passport Agency and get their advice on the matter, particularly if your daughter can apply for another passport (I'm not sure if that's possible). This is something that often happens, with either parent refusing to hand over a child's passport, for whatever reason.

As for maintenance, your daughter should contact the CSA as he should be contributing to his daughter's upbringing. If she has any idea of his income, she could use the CSA calculator on their website to calculate how much she's entitled to receive, unless he's on benefits which would then mean he pays a statutory £5 per week, direct from his benefits so she wouldn't have to rely on him giving it to her.

Comment

Originally posted by bambisoloved View Post
            Thank you Shell and Mike 770 for your support and sugestions

Dear Puffrose

I believe it depends on if you were married or not
            I was an unmarried single parent long time ago and i looked into my rights then and father has no legal rights at all re child. i refused to allow my ex boyfriend to see my daughter after a disaster of trial visits. He took me to court and he lost
            I havent heard of any changes but i am sure that will change in time with groups like Children need Fathers and remember the Super Dads stunts ?

Thanks again for encouragement

bambisoloved
            Contact (access) is the right of the child, not of the parents. All unmarried fathers who are named on birth certificates of children born after December 2003 have automatic Parental Responsibility. Unmarried fathers of children born before that date do not, and either have to acquire Parental Responsibility by way of an agreement with the mother, or via a Court Order. However, PR does not give the parent the right of contact because contact is the right of the child. It is presumed, except in exceptional circumstances (ie where the child's welfare is in jeopardy) that contact, in some form, whether direct or indirect, is in the child's best interests, and as such the Family Courts will usually order Contact nowadays, even if it is supervised in a Contact Centre or by a third party.

Contact and maintenance are not linked in any way, and it is unreasonable to withhold contact on the basis that maintenance is not received (I'm not saying that's what's happened, just pointing it out).

Comment

It is an offence under the Licensing Act and subsequent legislation to be drunk in charge of a child under the age of seven. That concerns me.

As regards the passport issue, I think it likely the police will refer the OP's daughter to the Identity & Passport Agency first before they will get involved. If there is a risk of violence, then they will help a person to retrieve their property from a house, etc., where they have lived with a former partner.

The Identity & Passport Agency is the first port of call. They will be able to advise the OP's daughter whether she should involve the police or not.
              Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

You can use the police as they helps you to get back the passport and also helps you getting the required money for your daughter. Another way is you can reissue it as say its lost.

Advice Family Law

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Henry View Post
                  You can use the police as they helps you to get back the passport and also helps you getting the required money for your daughter. Another way is you can reissue it as say its lost.

Advice Family Law
                  Unfortunately, the link is to a law firm in Australia. The Identity & Passport Agency need to be contacted about the passport issue. The Child Maintenance is a matter for the CSA.
                  Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X