• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Confidentiality breach/disability discrimination??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Confidentiality breach/disability discrimination??

Thanks Teaboy, your very helpful and its really appreciated.

Its a v long story and there is way more detail than I am putting here (Im including the pertinent points).

I did not hear the gossiping, 2 x people spoke to someone else who told me, one of the people had access to their LM emails (my LM too, to whom I had been emailing), to which of course they denied upon the grievance appeal (also it was actually the grievance appeal outcome, I had to appeal the grievance outcome as the outcome of that was basically, they had done nothing wrong and my grievance was not upheld!). The person who told me, wishes to remain anon.

Still got copies of everything.

Comment

Will Pm you my email to forward what documents you have relating to this. You can if you wish remove any personal details like names, company name and address etc.
      Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

Failure to carry out a risk assessment is a breach of Regulation 3, Management of Health & Safety at Work Regulations 1999. However, this can have a knock-on effect of meaning that the employer is potentially in breach of Section 2, Health & Safety at Work Act 1974, also.
        Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Thanks Blue bottle

Comment

Hi All

Have received the documents from Stircrazy - Yes they failed to carry out a risk assessement which Blue bottle correctly pointed out the implications for such failure. Yes they admitted to Breach of Confidentiality, and offered a compromise agreement, which am not sure if Stircrazy signed or not, though i doubt she has and no doubt she will confirm this (The amount offered was pathetic to say the least considering).

I can also confirm the it is not just stress or mental disaility but a pysical condition in question too, though obvioulsy i can disclose what exactly without Stircrazy's permission, bow can i go into eact details of the content of the letters without her permission.

But we do have so long as no compromise agreement has be signed.

1) Breach of data protection act 1998
            2) Insecure email addresses being used to transmit confidential information containing personal data (e.g. others has access to line managers email account)
            3) Failure of risk assessment in breach of Regulation 3, Management of Health & Safety at Work Regulations 1999 and potentially in breach of Section 2, Health & Safety at Work Act 1974 (Thanks Bluebottle, youd saved me from having to look it up lol - THOUGH, this is scottish law which this case falls under, but am assuming the above applies to scotland too just like employment rights act and eqaulity act etc, will need to check though)
            4) - Possibly planning by the company to dismiss her at the end of the 6 month period for the position they redeployed her too (as i highlighted my concerns about it my earlier post #9.
            5) - Failure to provide/make changes in respect to her conition that she needs to make her working more comfortable i.e. car parking provisions, no doubt nearer to the entrance and reserved for disabled employees. No doubt other such failures have occured to make required adjustments to working have occured also. Though is is likely connected to failure to carry out a risk assessment and impose recommended changes such an assessment would recommend.

There is probably a lot more, but i have only had the chance to glance over the documents provided and have not read them fully from start to finnish yet.

But from what i have seen, they failed to remedy the breach of duty of care and therefore failed to remedy the breach of contract that arises as a result of their breach of duty of care. That therefore makes the breach, a breach that can not be remedied since they did not uphold the complaints regarding lack of risk assessement in her grievance and failed to uphold them as appeal too - Therefore the grievance procedure is exhausted. As such its a clear case of constructive dismissal (due to thwe clear breach of contract), which is strenghened by the fact the role she was redeployed to being temporaily and them expecting her to APPLY for available positions in the company when they are obliged to offer such positions to her subject to risk assessment and consideration of whether the position is suitable and or required adjustments can be made for such position to be suitable for her. And also theresa clear case of breach of equality act.
            Last edited by teaboy2; 6th April 2012, 21:24:PM.
            Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

Comment

Hi Teaboy,

Just checked the legislation you've listed in your last post. The relevant Acts and Statutory Instruments apply under Scottish Law, with a few exceptions. However, the exceptions do not apply to this case.

If I may make an observation, from what the OP and yourself have posted, it sounds more like discrimination under one or more of the protected elements under the Equality Act 2010. Also, there may be a case to answer against the employer under the harassment provisions of the said Act. It might be a good idea to refer to Appendix I of the EHRC's Employment Code of Practice.

Comment

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
                Hi Teaboy,

Just checked the legislation you've listed in your last post. The relevant Acts and Statutory Instruments apply under Scottish Law, with a few exceptions. However, the exceptions do not apply to this case.

If I may make an observation, from what the OP and yourself have posted, it sounds more like discrimination under one or more of the protected elements under the Equality Act 2010. Also, there may be a case to answer against the employer under the harassment provisions of the said Act.
                Thanks Bluebottle

And yes i agree there maywell be a case under the harassment provisions of the act, and theirs certainly evidence of discrimination as their inactions mean they will likely be deemed as discriminating against Stircrazy and her condition. There is also a very significant claim for damages that can be made against her employer not just for breach of data protection, but also for breach of equality act, harassment, discrimination (disability) and emotional distress impacting on her condition and mental health. Hence why i said the sum they offered in the compromise was pathetic, as she could easily get 10x that amount for breach of contract alone, with the rest being awarded as compensation on top. Which is likely to make the final sum of compensation in the region of 10's of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of pounds. Especially when you take into account the millions of pounds of compensation awarded to that doctor #9can think of the case name) earlier this year, for harassment, breach of contract, and breach of equality act (sex discrimination) to name a few.

Comment

Originally posted by teaboy2 View Post
                  Thanks Bluebottle

And yes i agree there maywell be a case under the harassment provisions of the act, and theirs certainly evidence of discrimination as their inactions mean they will likely be deemed as discriminating against Stircrazy and her condition. There is also a very significant claim for damages that can be made against her employer not just for breach of data protection, but also for breach of equality act, harassment, discrimination (disability) and emotional distress impacting on her condition and mental health. Hence why i said the sum they offered in the compromise was pathetic, as she could easily get 10x that amount for breach of contract alone, with the rest being awarded as compensation on top. Which is likely to make the final sum of compensation in the region of 10's of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of pounds. Especially when you take into account the millions of pounds of compensation awarded to that doctor #9can think of the case name) earlier this year, for harassment, breach of contract, and breach of equality act (sex discrimination) to name a few.
                  Totally agree. The case you're thinking of is the Michalak case and the award was around Ł4.1m. Whatever, the OP's employers are well and truly in the excrement.

Comment

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
                    Totally agree. The case you're thinking of is the Michalak case and the award was around Ł4.1m. Whatever, the OP's employers are well and truly in the excrement.
                    Yep thats the one mate, had it up their in my mind but just couldn't quite think of her name.

Your right, the Op's employers are well and truely ups **** creek without a paddle lol.

If you could see the documents mate you'd have a field day!

Comment

Hi stircrazy and welcome,

Sorry to hear about this horrible situation. You've already got great advice so I won't add much but just to say the secondment without notification - you could throw Unfair Treatment into the mix if you needed to.

Comment

Re the Michalak case, the award given was for sustained bullying over a number of years, culminating in an unwarranted suspension. after returning to work from maternity leave.
                        It reflected her status & salary, but more importantly, loss of future earnings & pension, as it was deemed unlikely she would work again.
                        There was also race & sex discrimination.
                        She would also have to pay tax* (& NI, I think) on a substantial amount of the compensation, & it was uplifted to reflect this.
                        She pocketed a bit over half the amount stated in the newspapers.

* http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/EIM12965.htm
                        Last edited by charitynjw; 7th April 2012, 06:59:AM.
                        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                        gets his brain a-going.
                        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Still the op will like have a significant reward, it also has been going on for a substantial period, and off course no one expects the amount to be millions. But it will be significantly more then the amount offered in the compromise, which was a joke to be honest.

Comment

Wow!!!!

Thank you all so very much (especially Teaboy )

I can confirm I have not signed the compromise agreement.

I add that they did eventually supply me with a risk assessment form to complete whilst absent, which I did not complete (they had all my up-to-date requests after 6+ months requesting this + included within my grievance). I then returned to work 4 months later and have not had one since returning. I have had nothing since returning, no support, meetings etc, lots of stress though lol).

I should also say that they did give me the car parking and flexible working but they were not prepared to redeploy me which I requested under a reasonable adjustment (you will see that in the docs later Teaboy, you have maybe not got there yet). The outcome of the grievance appeal was that they would redeploy me.

Hope that makes sense........
                            Last edited by stircrazy; 7th April 2012, 08:05:AM.

Comment

Hi All,

I have just remembered that one of the points from the outcome of the occupational health doctor was to be given a risk assessment at the first signs of stress.

I have advised them on a few occasions now that I am suffering (Teaboy, you have a copy of the correspondence that alerts them).

I assume this would help my case?

Thanks in advance, you have been so helpful.

Comment

By ignoring the advice of an Occupational Health Professional, your employers have failed to comply with Regulation 3, Management of health & Safety at Work Regulations 1999 and are in breach of Section 2, Health & Safety at Work Act 1974.

In addition to this, it is also possible they are in breach of the Equality Act 2010. If you have not already done so, contact the Equality & Human Rights Commission (EHRC) and ask them how Appendix 1 of their Code of Practice on Employment applies in your case.

I do not feel you have anything to lose by contacting EHRC and it would, in all probably, help your case to speak to them.

Other organisations you could contact for advice are MIND at Mind, For better mental health | Mind and SANE at SANE | Mental health charity | Meeting the challenge of mental illness

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X