• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Moving Supplier With Prepayment Meter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving Supplier With Prepayment Meter

I'm posting this up as until yesterday, I was unaware of this.

Did you know that if you are paying off a debt on a prepayment meter and the debt is under £100 that your new supplier can legally take this debt over, and there is nothing that your old supplier can do about it??

Ask for a final bill from your old supplier and, it takes 6 weeks for a transfer, they cannot say no.

Also, if your reason for leaving is bad service, ask for written confirmation of their service failiure guidelines (they have to by law send them), you will be amazed and how much they can end up owing you!

If in doubt contact your new supplier and explain the lot, they will guide you through it all
    Tags: None

Re: Moving Supplier With Prepayment Meter

Thanks for this. Do you have anything I can use to quote it? My friend is currently stuck with Southern Electric on a prepayment meter on a stupidly high tariff and they will not release her supply. She just cannot afford the amount they are demanding she repay weekly which is £13. She called them today and asked to lower it to £10 and they have refused.

Any advice very greatly appreciated. She is falling apart over the debts and I am trying to get her sorted. I've managed to get her to call Payplan for the others but utilities seem to be a law unto themselves.

Thank you.

Comment

Her debt is £500 which is mostly made up of charges.

Comment

unfortunatly with a debt of £500 she cant do a great deal, they are in a position to say you must stay with us, however if she has made a complaint and 8 weeks have gone by she can go to the ombudsman to ask for help, if she has asked for letters/phonecalls which have not happened legally she can claim £20 per letter and call.
        She needs to ask where her complaint has gone, and if it hasnt been escalated to a higher authority she can ask for a deadlock letter and go to the ombudsman.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X