• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Address

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Address

Hi.
    Simple question hope theres a simple answer
    Mail concerning a council tax debt is sent to an old address of a family member i used to live with when i left the property the money was owed from my question is, is there any law that says they must give my address to a baliff and do i have to tell the council a new address i only contact them by email i have a form from them asking for my income and partners the debt is in my name my partner has no connection with the property money is owed on
    thanks in advance
    Tags: None

Re: Address

Hi.
    Simple question hope theres a simple answer
    Mail concerning a council tax debt is sent to an old address of a family member i used to live with when i left the property the money was owed from my question is, is there any law that says they must give my address to a baliff No and do i have to tell the council a new address Yes as you owe them money i only contact them by email i have a form from them asking for my income and partners the debt is in my name my partner has no connection with the property money is owed on
    thanks in advance Only a court can demand your IE, but if you want to repay the debt in installments it is wise to include your household income so they can see what you can afford realistically.

Please forgive me if I read the start of this incorrectly, but it read like you may be considering trying to avoid the debt to me. I do not believe this site approves of debt avoidance.

As I say, if it's just the way it came across to me, my sincere apologies. :beagle:

Comment

Labman
      Not trying to avoid paying just struggling to pay have asked to have payment reduced i haved paid them each month for nearly 3 years im fed upwith there letters threatening to get baliffs back my income is £55.55 per week my partner refuses to tell them anything as the debt was not theirs they were 200 miles away when i lived where the debt was from

Comment

OK, my apologies and believe you me I understand your situation - I've been there and worse!

Do you mind my asking how much you owed at the start, how much you owe now you've been paying for 3 years and what has happened with bailiffs? It sounds as if they've been involved. It sounds as though they're no longer involved, so did you manage to clear the debt or what?

Are you not entitled to more money? Have you checked with someone like the CAB (they're usually very good on benefits) to see if you are eligible for more money?

I know it can feel a bit soul bearing, but the more you can tell us about the CT debt and your income, the more we can try to help.

Apologies once again for the misunderstanding - I really do understand where you're coming from now. :beagle:

Comment

my income is carers allwance of £55,55 per week cant get any more i tried wife is on benefits and is disabled long term debt was about 725 have paid 450 off bailiffs were not sent regarding this a magistrates thing was done but no action cos i agreed a payment plan what ps me off is this threat of baliffs i will not deal with bailiffs or pay there fees full stop i know i owe the money have never not paid and will pay till the end no need to apologise my waffle in first post was hard for me to fathom out?

Comment

First thing to remember with Council Tax debt is that as long as the bailiffs do not gain peaceful entry, or manage to levy on easy pickings such as a vehicle parked outside, they can charge two visit fees, £24.50 and £18.00 = £42.50 total. After that, they can and will threaten (if they find you) and eventually will be forced to return the debt to the council.

Your best bet, to be honest, is to pay what you can afford either online or via their automated phone system. Pay weekly - try to pay £5 as this is what they would take from your beneits if they took you to court, so there's no point in them taking things further. Also, if you pay on the same day, religiously every week, you very quickly build up a reliable repayment record, and it is much easier then to bring pressure to bear on the council to take the debt back from bailiffs if they do go down this route.

As long as you pay this, it's hard to see them starting enforcement procedures, though they may well threaten them, as they have nothing to gain.

Hope this makes sense.

Comment

Thankyou Labman for your help and support,i have sent an email to the council telling them i cannot fill in there form as my partner refuses as she is no involved in the debt and i dont like the threats on there i said i will carry on the payments as agreed in 2009 i added please acknowledge this email without the added threats awaiting the answer

Comment

To make progress you need more information. Start with the Council. You need to speak to someone at the Council and ask the following questions:
                1 - how many Liability Orders they have against you
                2 - the dates they were obtained
                3 - the addresses they were for
                4 - the period of time each covers
                5 - how much each one was for
                6 - how much is still outstanding
                7 - the dates they were passed on for enforcement

If Bailiffs are also involved you need to know what charges they have made. Here's an example of what to send them, adapt as you see fit and send initially by email followed by a copy in the post:

"From:
                My Name
                My Address

To:
                Acme Bailiff Co
                Bailiff House

Ref: Account No: 123456

Dear Sir

With reference to the above account, Can you please provide me with a breakdown of the charges.

This includes:
                a - the time & date of any Bailiff action that incurred a Fee.
                b - the reason for the fee.
                c - the name(s) of the Bailiff(s) that attended on each occasion a Fee was charged.
                d - the name(s) of the Court(s) the Bailiff(s) was/were Certificated at.
                e - the date of the Certification.

This is not a Subject Access Request under the Data Protection Act S7 1998 so does not incur a fee of £10. You are obliged to provide this information.

I require this information within 14 days.

Yours faithfully

Ripped off customer"

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X