• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council inflexibly avoids Statutory duty/duty of care

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council inflexibly avoids Statutory duty/duty of care

In short, how do I get my L/Authority to a) entirely refund my accrued homeless removal/storage fees they enforced me to pay in their stead from 19.8.08 and b) LA uphold these storage fees - £141 4xWeekly - while I remain homeless?

NB: LA obduracy (since 1992) has always been 'who' I am not 'what' (my situation). Now, myriad verbal 'reasons' for no obligation for these fees Yet refuse being categorical as to why not, as my (last, recorded delivery) letter required. [see below: LA don't acknowledge my homelessness, but my issue is not re-housing].

Meantime, I struggle to manage on a very reduced pension by this constant outlay; that I now have malnutrition and debilitating effect ailments.

(Brief) background: My last 13 year private rental, albeit EHO had deemed it 'unfit', ended when my Landlady's Mortgage Co served her a Ground 2 Repossession, and thereby I too became evicted - 19.8.08.
    Judge gave me just 4 days to vacate. I immediately wrote to LA with s.17 homeless notice. No reply or (usual, impromptu) visit.
    Bailiffs would put my possessions on street. My basic state pension could not afford getting my items to safety; that I had to borrow money to do so. But only one removal company was available at such short notice.
    The stress relapsed my ME, especially as my car became my only 'roof' - which it still is.
    My ME wasn't 'level' until the October, when I went to the LA to speak to someone. I was handed the 'phone (they wouldn't come to me). "Do you pay the removal and storage fees of homeless people?" "Yes we do, what is the name?" "***** *****" "Oh no! MISS *****(her emphasis), we refuse to acknowledge your homelessness!" The line then went dead. I had a panic attack.

Last edited by 66freya; 6th March 2012, 12:29:PM. Reason: grammar, and emphasis shld be on fees, not re-housing
    Tags: None

Re: Council inflexibly avoids Statutory duty/duty of care

Im finding it a bit hard to follow what you are putting, but what I get is

- You were evicted from your tennancy as the home was reposessed
    - You are of pensioner age with some health issues
    - You notified your local authority that you are homeless and living in a car
    - They have refused to provide any help or assistance, or acknolwedge you

I do see the other points you are making about getting storage costs refunded, however I think your overall first point of call is to get the bigger issue sorted - your homelessness and the councils refusal to acknolwedge the istuation. They will not pay any of your costs until they do this so we need to attack the root of the problem. A council cannot take discriminatory action against a person becuase of who they are. You have to be treat the same as any other person who is trying to access services. period.

Im not sure why the local authority would put you in that position - they must have a valid reason that they are rejecting your homlessness (perhaps there is someone willing to take you in, or you have a place that you can go to but are not on your own personal grounds). I dont know, im just guessing, but if we could know why they refuse to acknolwedge that y ou are homeless this would be a great start.

Id also highly recommend speaking to your local age concern. They have a good team of people who can help with problems just a this - its free and should help you get sorted.
    Advice given is offered as personal opinion only. I always recommend you seek professional legal advice.

Negative, I am a meat popsicle

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X