• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Bank Smart Charges

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bank Smart Charges

Hi all,

last year around June time, i stupidly (unknown at the time) came across Bank-Smart on the internet to claim back bank charges. I sent them all my bank statements from the last few years and hoped to hear back.
    When i didnt hear from them i emailed them to see if there was any progress with my claim. The same day i looked up on the net and found out it was probably best if i makde the claims myself so i know where i am with it all. So i emailed Bank Smart later that day asking them to cancel my claim, which said a 'small fee' would be incurred, although it didnt say how much. As if by coincedence i recieved 2 emails within a minutes of eachother, the first one saying that they were in the process of sending out a letter updating me on my account (which i dont believe for a second) and then another saying my account was cancelled and i need to pay £96 charges.
    As i didnt have that amount of money spare i emailed them to say if thats the case i may aswell let them carry on with the claim to which they replied basically saying its tough, too late. I have since read many things on here saying they are a scam.

Now for the first 2 weeks i received a few emails asking for the charges, i ignored them, but 8/9 months on ive just received an email demanding the money upfront or by 4 installaments, if not more charges of upto £150 will be added or debt collection or court order will be set up.

Now £96 doesnt seem much and its not like i cant afford to pay it, but i find the whole thing disgusting, They only ever send out standard emails and there is no phone number to contact. It is clearly a scam that they will get ever body who signs up to them with.

I could just keep ignoring them, but what are my options from here? Do i have any chance of not paying this? Advice on this would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards

Steve
    Tags: None

Re: Bank Smart Charges

Bank-Smart
    [Head Office]
    11-15 Betterton St
    Covent Garden
    London WC2H 9BP

Dear Sir,

Your Ref: abc 123

I am writing in relation to the cancellation of the above account.

I was subscribed to your company for a period fo about ???????????? from June 2011 - ????????????. During that time I received no correspondence from you regarding the progress of any charges your were attempting to reclaim on my behalf.

The very day I notified you of my wish to cancel my contract, I received two e-mails, within minutes of each other, stating you were in the process of sending out a letter on my behalf and stating I owed £96.00 in cancellation charges.

I have now received a further letter stating £150 will be added to this initial demand or a court order sought.

I am referring this matter in an official complaint to the Office for Fair Trading. Their Debt Collection Guidelines state quite clearly that threats should not be made to customers if they cannot be carried out. I would be grateful if you would highlight where, in the Terms and Conditions, it states you can add the extra £150 charge. I would also be grateful if you could please justify the £96 cancellation fee.

I understand fully there may be a small amount of administration work in cancelling my account, and am prepared to pay for this, but £96 is excessive - please justify this.

Please note I am in no way refusing to pay any debt to you. I am purely disputing the amount of that debt. As the account is in dispute, I am sure you are aware that all further enforcement action must be stopped until such time as the dispute is resolved.

I await your response,

Yours faithfully,

Sign with a signature nothing like your own.

Print Name

Now report them to the OFT

Comment

Thanks for the response! I have since sent them the letter asking them to inform me of how they reached that figure. I sent that on thursday! On friday i got another email asking for the £94 but i was not at work to check my emails.

I have since returned to work today to find an email sent yesterday (sunday) with the breakdown of costs, and they have attached the letter i sent on thursday and a copy of the terms and conditions.

The most staggering part is that they have said the costs now stand at £144, but they will accept the £94 if i pay it in full before tomorrow morning. Now i dont have £94 spare at the moment but where has the other £50 come from? They have even charged me £5 for sending me the terms and conditions via the email yesterday. They also state they have sent me 3 standing order requests through the post at a cost of £12 each, none of these i have ever received. I havent had anything through the post since my initial info pack last May.

Now im getting really irate with these con artists....i have sent them 2 emails today asking where the extra charges came from, but no reply. I can now see whats coming, they wont reply to me until after the deadline tomorrow morning.

What can i do? How do i make a complaint to the OFT? Does anyone have a link?

Thanks in advance :-(

Comment

How can they add £50 to an account when im in communication with them?

Comment

From http://www.bank-smart.co.uk/home.aspx

Banksmart standard T & C's (current)
          http://www.bank-smart.co.uk/images/T...ditions_X4.pdf

Fees
          http://www.bank-smart.co.uk/help.html#faq17

Basic processing costs
          http://www.bank-smart.co.uk/fees.htm
          CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
          Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
          gets his brain a-going.
          Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
          The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

What does it say in the T&C's?

Comment

This is the email they sent me....and i have attached the t&c below

Dear Steve,

The information you have requested was sent my post/email. Please see term 2.4 of the attached which has already been sent to you. Please note that the costs are now £144 + VAT. If you log into your account within 48 hours and pay the amount outstanding in full we will accept the earlier reduced amount. Please note that if payment is not made within 48 hours the further costs incurred due to debt recovery may be considerable.

To access your Bank-Smart Secure Online Claim Account which allows you to check the status and latest information regarding all of your Bank-Smart claims 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, please visit the website at Bank-Smart will claim back your Payment Protection Insurance (PPI). Mis-sold Payment Protection Insurance? | Reclaim your bank charges | Bank penalty charges | Credit card charges | Mortgage Penalties | PPI premiums | Council Tax | Financial Ombudsman Assistance | Banking Ombudsman Assistance
              and click the ‘Client Login’ link at the top right of the homepage. Alternatively, type the URL: Bank-Smart
              into your browsers address bar. Your login details for the secure client area are: Client ID: ***** and Password: ********* (Four Letters followed by four numbers). If you have any difficulty in logging into your account please do not hesitate to contact a member of the support team by emailing support@bank-smart.co.uk.

Last edited by snorton82; 12th March 2012, 16:40:PM. Reason: mistake

Comment

[ATTACH]6182[/ATTACH]

Comment

HI
                  Sorry joined this thread a bit late , can you tell me how long it was between you sending the agreement and you cancelling, are you aware that there is a 14 day cancellation period as per distance selling regulations.
                  Sorry if this is not appropriate

Peter

Comment

Yes i joined on the 7th July and cancelled on the 26th, so i was 5 days over the cancellation date....unfortunatly i found out it was all a scam very soon after cancelling! im not desputing the fact a small fee should be payable, but £94 is quite frankly theft, given the did nothing! although now its at £144....im going to the citizens advice this week and see what they say

Comment

Under the cancellation section it says, they will charge a small cancellation fee for any cancellations after the 14 day cancellation period, but it fails to state the fee, therefore the term is unfair as it also fails to state where information on the fees can be found. All it does is ask you to write to them for details or visit the website, which charity provided the link for on fees, where it states nothing about cancellation fees but only what they are entitled to claim as fees for processing your claim.

To me the whole contract is unfair.
                      Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

Some time ago (2009), LB's Amethyst & some 'sort' over on MSE going by the monicker of 'esmerellda' :whistleosted a court case re 'seangenius' v Banksmart.

http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...ad.php?t=16018 post #1

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...365533&page=31 post #618
                        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                        gets his brain a-going.
                        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X