• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Gas mains has damaged my Sewage drain. Help please?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gas mains has damaged my Sewage drain. Help please?

Originally posted by CleverClogs
    BRB
    So it took a bit long than I'd planned...

Originally posted by funkyphantom View Post
    I haven't emailed the 'Head Honcho' yet, as i wanted to wait for their reply from my email first. I believe now is time for a stern letter to the main man! Would you, or anyone be able to help me construct a strong well written letter?
    Certainly, though I expect that Labman might be more polite.

I havent gotten in touch with my local council as I'm not really sure who to contact. I did call them to ask who i needed to speak to about a week ago, but I got no reply.
    It is always a bit difficult, especially if it might involve a steatopygous council employee reducing the wear on office seating.

I'm kind of thinking I will need to contact a Solicitor/Lawyer about this, should a stern letter to their head honcho not get me anywhere. Or should I get legal advice before I send the letter? The only problem is, is I don't have much or any spare money available, wouldn't legal advise be costly?
    Legal advice should not be too expensive, as an initial consultation should only cost a modest fee and, if you speak to the duty solicitor at your local CAB (link to find it) it need not cost anything at all.

I don't have photos of the turd torrent unfortunately, although there are remnants of toilet paper still around the grid and on my steps, which i have purposefully left for National Grid to see. Should i take photos of this? I do have pictures of the pipe going through my sewage drain though.
    That is a pity, but it should not matter too much.

I guess they think I am lying about how much trouble I have had with this drain since we moved in as I have no receipts to back it up. If I had paid for every time the drain got blocked, I would be in a heck of a lot more debt now than I am already!
    To offer a mere £70 for the repeated loss of amenity due to your garden being flooded is, frankly, an insult. They've decided to haggle and to play at Silly Buggers.

I think the only evidence that I may have that could prove me right would be if my neighbours would be prepared to back me up. Although they don't really speak to me, as we had an argument about the smell from the drain a couple years ago!
    Excellent!

Disputes with one's neighbours - of which any prospective buyer must be informed - are almost certain to reduce the value of one's property. That could provide another cause for damages to be payable, in addition to the loss of "quiet enjoyment" of your property you suffered as the result of negligence by the numpties or navvies from National Grid. I have no idea of how much you could claim, though. A solicitor should, though.

Comment

Thanks Clever Clogs
      I'm off work on Tuesday So I'll try to get in to see the duty soliciter at CAB.

Comment

Hi,
        Ok, Ive just today spoken to a solicitor after realising I have free legal aid with an association I am a member of through work. Although they won't take on my case, as they mainly take on employment law cases/dispute of contract etc etc.
        He says a well written letter to National Grid might be whats in order. He said I need to mention 'Negligence and Nuisance' and the loss of reasonable enjoyment of my property. Would anyone be able to show me the right tracks in writing such a letter? Or would it be advisable trying to get a solicitor to take on my case?
        Thanks
        FP

Comment

Labman and/or myself would be happy to help, but I have no idea of how much damages you should seek for loss of the enjoyment of your property or for loss of value of your property arising from the dispute with your neighbour.

Comment

Thanks for the offer Mr Clogs, It would be very much appreciated, however haven't got a clue on putting a price on all this inconvenience either.

Comment

I've spoken to my wife and considered everything, and decided we would settle for around the 4k mark. Does this sound reasonable?
              Thanks
              FP

Comment

Yes, that seems reasonable for damages arising from your loss of the enjoyment of your property.

Now find out how much the neighbour dispute has devalued your house.

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                  Yes, that seems reasonable for damages arising from your loss of the enjoyment of your property.

Now find out how much the neighbour dispute has devalued your house.
                  I'm sorry to ask such a silly question, but Where would I start with that?

thanks

Comment

That's why you should seek advice from the CAB or a high street solicitor.

My reasoning is this: if you were to put your house on the market tomorrow, you'd have to tell any prospective buyer about the dispute with your neighbour and that would probably reduce the price any buyer would want to pay. It may only knock a couple of thousands from the sale price, or it may be as much as 5 or 10 per cent.

Comment

Ok, I'll mention that too. I will be seeing a solicitor later this week.
                      Thanks very much for your help.
                      FP

Comment

Hi guys,
                        I have been procrastinating over this for a while now, although the invoice from the Drainage company has come through. They want £396 for their work that has been carried out. Which makes National Grids compensation offer of £400 even more ridiculous!
                        I think a very well written letter to the National Grid head honcho is now in order. Would anyone be able to advise me on how to word such a letter?
                        I'm very glad i didn't accept the £400 compensation now as it would have left me with a princely some of £4 for putting up with 9 years of S*it, literally! :P
                        Kind regards
                        FP

Comment

I could really do with some advise on this guys. Would you think its worthy of a small claims court?
                          Regards
                          FP

Comment

Hi Funky

I personally would issue a claim against them.

Write a preliminary letter requesting repayment.Give them 14 days notice to make a better offer.
                            If they do not, write a Letter Before Action.

If after 14 days they still do not improve their offer. Issue a claim at your local court.

We will be able to advise on wording of particulars of claim (POC)

GOOD LUCK! :beagle:
                            "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Hi Celestine.
                              I'm sorry, I'm terrible at writhing letters. How would you word the first letter? and should this be sent via post, or email (like all my other correspondence?
                              Thanks very much for replying.
                              FP

Comment

Please Ignore

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X