• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lowell Portfolio and HFC bank

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowell Portfolio and HFC bank

Hi everyone! Bit new to this and have never posted to a forum but felt the need to as I have a very worried boyfriend right now. He's received a letter from Lowell Portfolio regarding an 'outstanding debt' they claim they've bought from HFC bank. The debt stands at £4703 and my boyfriend has no idea what it is for and also never heard of HFC bank. He has called Lowell (which after checking other forums and threads doesn't seem the best idea) and they couldn't help much either and said they'd call him back. The only thing they could tell him was that it was linked to an address he lived at nearly 10 years ago, which seems very strange, not only as he doesn't have a clue what its for but why take this long to tell him?

He's checked his experian credit score and the debt isn't on there? One forum suggested to send them a letter stating that we will not look in to this until they confirm all the details of the debt to us within 28 days, which I'm going to do. However, if we don't hear back from them (as lots of people have found), could it still affect his credit score in the future?

This has crushed my boyfriend, we are planning for a house and family at the moment and now we're worried that none of these things will happen thanks to this letter.

Any help/ideas/thoughts/experience would be much appreciated

Thanks
    Njw x
    Tags: None

Re: Lowell Portfolio and HFC bank

Hi Nwyles,

This isn't the first case that's landed in Legal Beagles' in tray today. I've posted something on the very same thing affecting someone else this evening. My gut feeling is that Lowells are engaged in either a fishing expedition or something called "scattergunning" where they send out speculative letters hoping to find the real debtor. The bottom line is that Lowells have to prove your boyfriend owes HFC Bank money, not the other way around.

If this letter was printed on a dodgy-looking HFC letterhead, Lowells could be in very serious trouble indeed. They may also be in breach of the Data Protection Act 1998.

The best advice I can give is that your boyfriend should stop worrying himself sick. A debt is statute-barred after six years, which means it cannot be pursued. Wait and see if Lowells get back to your boyfriend. If they don't, move on. If they do and say the debt isn't his, move on. If do and try to say the debt is his, get in touch on this thread straight away. We'll see how we can help you.

Bluebottle
    Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Hi there I'm also a newbie here and came across this thread and I'm eager to find out what happened after all for your boyfriend?
      I myself just got a letter from red debt collection with my name on it telling me I owe them £390 from an account with HFC bank but I never ever heard of them before this letter came?
      The accont number isn't familiar and I have only been dealing with one bank in my whole life.
      I have also contacted Red debt service but I am very wary of them asking me personal details for "security questions" so at the end I end up the call because I didn't feel that I should give them my details.
      Now I am not sure what to do next?
      I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with me however I am concerned about the fact that they got hold of my name?! So should I ignore it or contact them by post to say that I do not acknowledge anything regarding this debt?

Any legal advice will be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by flix08 View Post
        Hi there I'm also a newbie here and came across this thread and I'm eager to find out what happened after all for your boyfriend?
        I myself just got a letter from red debt collection with my name on it telling me I owe them £390 from an account with HFC bank but I never ever heard of them before this letter came?
        The accont number isn't familiar and I have only been dealing with one bank in my whole life.
        I have also contacted Red debt service but I am very wary of them asking me personal details for "security questions" so at the end I end up the call because I didn't feel that I should give them my details.
        Now I am not sure what to do next?
        I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with me however I am concerned about the fact that they got hold of my name?! So should I ignore it or contact them by post to say that I do not acknowledge anything regarding this debt?
        Red are part of the Lowell group. You're doing the right thing by not talking to them on the phone. Get them to prove the debt by sending them the following letter:

Dear Sirs

Account No/Reference No: XXXXXXXX

You have contacted me regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself. I have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to HFC Bank. I am familiar with the CPUTR 2008 and the Office of Fair Trading's Guidance on debt collection, which states that it is unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question. I would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable and in not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive and unfair methods. Furthermore ignoring and disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical & psychological harassment.

I would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my liability for the debt in question and await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise I will have no option but to make a complaint to Trading Standards and also inform the Office Of Fair Trading of your actions.

Yours faithfully,

Comment

Hi Flaming parrot,

Many thanks for your prompt response.
          I am doing just as you have advised and sending this letter on recorded delivery.
          I am interested to see what they are going to say as I am still wondering how they got hold of my name for this debt which I never heard of before?

Regards.

Comment

Hi Flaming Parrot,

Thanks again for your advice and letter template.

Following your advice on the last debt agency they have never followed up with anything since, plus now the original debt is statue barred.

I too have recently received the Lowell letter and used your template above today to put them in their place.

These tactics are scandalous, i dont know of any HFC Bank let alone having a debt with them.

Comment

HFC were Beneficial bank and provided store cards and finance for John Lewis, Currys, PC World
              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hi All

Back again dealing with Lowell. I sent the the prove letter and they put the case on hold whilst requesting proofs.

Over a month later they now sent photocopies of hfbc loan agreement with payment history.

I'm still none the wiser what this is for.

Can I ask for signed agreement or any advise greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X