• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

3-4 Year old council tax dispute surfaces again

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3-4 Year old council tax dispute surfaces again

FINAL NOTICE delivered from Marston.

Phoned council, explained that I remember talking to someone over the phone about this matter after I left the address, explaining when I had left the property and the matter had appeared at this point in time to have been resolved following the council employee accepting my explanation and telling me nothing more was due.

Council now claim I owe £396 +3* £80 of their own fees for some period during Apr 08 - Mar 09.

That £396 is for 4* £99 Council Tax instalments. However, I left the property in December 2008.

The Council demand solid proof that I left the property before March 2009 to amend this - their current means of assessing March 2009 as the end of my Liability was new tenants entering at this time.

I have attempted to speak to my Landlord of the time, however due to a dispute around the circumstances of us leaving, he is unwilling to cooperate.

Unfortunately, after this address my Partner and I went back to live with our parents for a period before taking on another property, so there is no record of new Council tax elsewhere.
    Tags: None

Re: 3-4 Year old council tax dispute surfaces again

Originally posted by mikeh View Post
    The Council demand solid proof that I left the property before March 2009 to
    You make a sworn declaration.

I: [NAME] residing at [ADDRESS AND POSTCODE]

DO SOLEMNLY AND SINCERELY DECLARE THAT I vacated the address [ADDRESS OF PROPERTY] on [DATE].

I make this solemn declaration under Section 7 of the Statutory Declarations Act 1835 believing the same to be true.

DECLARED AT:

SIGNED:

DATE:

Before me:

Solicitor/Commissioner for Oaths:

Comment

Excellent advice HC, thank you!

Comment

I've just done the maths.

If I left when memory serves me best, then I would still be in arrears of around £99.

Where do I stand on the fees that have been added. I did not pay this £99 because when I phoned the Council following their original letter they told me the matter was resolved.

Comment

Telephone the council and ask how much is remaining, then log online and pay it.

There are no fees due because the bailiff has not done any work. Your post says you receeived a final notice letter, but the regulations do not provide for bailiffs to charge you a fee for delivering a letter. I wouldnt be concerned about fees.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X