• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

What's my sister-in-law up to?!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's my sister-in-law up to?!

I wonder if anyone can shed any light on the following. Tragically my brother was killed in a car accident at the beginning of last month. He had separated from his wife and was living with a new partner so when he died his estranged wife was still his next of kin.

She has asked my nephew to ask all of my brother's immediate family for our dates of birth and our national insurance numbers for "a form" she has to fill in. I have no idea what form or why she would need the information and am very reluctant to give out this information.

I should add that things became a little strained between her and the rest of our family and she hasn't spoken to us at all since the funeral except to ask for this information.

I've wracked my brains but can't think of an answer - can anyone help?
    Tags: None

Re: What's my sister-in-law up to?!

Would it not be possible to ask her or get someone else to ask?

Comment

Originally posted by Nickybiskit View Post
      She has asked my nephew to ask ...
      A suspiciously roundabout way of doing things. As labman suggests, best grasp the nettle and confront her yourself. And even if the answer appears legitimate, confirm it.

Comment

This is the sort of 'apparently innocuous' info that scammers use, isn't it ? I don't know how they do it, but I believe it is possible to obtain a duplicate Birth Certificate from such basic info. Armed with that, a scammer can probably apply for a passport and all sorts of other stuff, I reckon.

Unless you trust who you are giving that info to, I agree with those who say you should withold it.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X