• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

People with dementia short changed out of £100 million

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People with dementia short changed out of £100 million

People with dementia short changed out of £100 million and must be better protected says Alzheimer's Society
    Published 13 December 2011

People with dementia are being cheated out of at least £100 million, Alzheimer’s Society reveals today.
    The charity estimates that up to 112,500 (15 per cent) people with dementia have been victims of financial abuse such as cold calling, scam mail, or mis-selling. Its new report 'Short changed: Protecting people with dementia from financial abuse', today (Wednesday, 14 December 2011) calls for people with the condition to be better protected. Visit alzheimers.org.uk/shortchanged for more information
    Financial expert Martin Lewis is now joining Alzheimer's Society in calling on Trading Standards and banks to help put a stop to this by appointing dementia champions. These champions would help increase awareness about the condition, and spearhead better working with other local organisations to ensure people are protected. The charity also wants local authorities to safeguard funding for Trading Standards in a climate of cuts.
    'Short changed' reveals that 62 per cent of carers said the person they care for had been approached by cold callers or salespeople on their doorstep, while 70 per cent were regularly targeted by telephone cold callers. This resulted in people being cheated out of thousands of pounds and suffering stress, exhaustion and frustration.
    Founder of Moneysavingexpert, Martin Lewis, who wrote the report foreword to 'Short changed', said:
    'The scale of this problem is huge. It's deplorable that people are prepared to take advantage of some of the most vulnerable in our society. What's more, the true amount of money lost is likely to be much higher as financial abuse often goes unreported. Society must help protect people with dementia - something must be done.'
    Jeremy Hughes, Chief Executive at Alzheimer's Society, said:
    'We are merely scratching the surface of the frightening hidden depths of financial abuse. Too often con artists are dealing another body blow to people who already face high care costs and a society that fails to understand their needs. It's only by working together with banks, local authorities, and of course the general public that we can turn this around and start the New Year with new hope.'
    Steve Pye, whose 84-year-old father Stan has dementia and was scammed out of over £1,000, said:
    'It's not just about being out of pocket. Because of these con artists, my dad now finds it very difficult to trust people. It's also incredibly stressful for the family. When you're caring for someone with dementia, life is tough enough without having to write letter after letter trying to get back money which is rightfully yours. I'm at the end of my tether trying to resolve the problem and the emotional strain is massive.'
    'Short changed' also looked at the problems people with dementia can face when managing their money. 76 per cent of people had trouble managing their money, with the technical nature of security and lack of dementia awareness in banks found to be major problems. People often felt uncomfortable talking about their finances, particularly with family. However, 77 per cent agreed it was important to make plans about how to manage their money in the future. Carers also spoke of the emotional barriers they faced when taking control of their loved one's finances.
    Alzheimer's Society is developing a dementia awareness training programme which will be rolled out to organisations such as banks. The charity is also publishing five top tips for how to plan for the future. These are:
    Discuss money management with your family - Money can be a difficult subject to talk about but it's important you plan how you want your finances to be managed if you became unable to look after them yourself.
    Set up a lasting power of attorney (LPA) - This enables a person with dementia to choose someone they trust to make decisions on their behalf about things such as paying bills and collecting income once they are no longer able to take those decisions. However, LPAs need to be set up while a person with dementia still has capacity.
    Speak to the local bank manager - People with dementia and their carers should talk to their bank manager as soon after a diagnosis as possible. The discussion can look at extra support that may be available as their condition progresses and ways of managing money, eg using a signature card instead of a PIN number.
    Stop junk mail and unwanted telephone calls - There are a number of ways to do this, such as signing up to the Mailing Preference Service at mpsonline.org.uk and joining the Telephone Preference Service register.
    Put a 'no cold callers' sign on the door - These can be obtained from the local trading standards department. Six of the major energy suppliers will not knock on doors which have a 'no door to door salesman' sticker/sign on them.
    The survey used for this report is the largest ever carried out on this subject. It involved 104 carers and 47 people with dementia. Focus groups and interviews with nursing staff, social workers and adult safeguarding professionals were also carried out.

People with dementia short changed out of s Society
    Tags: None

Re: People with dementia short changed out of £100 million

'The scale of this problem is huge. It's deplorable that people are prepared to take advantage of some of the most vulnerable in our society. What's more, the true amount of money lost is likely to be much higher as financial abuse often goes unreported. Society must help protect people with dementia - something must be done.

Well it's good to see Martin on the case if only to bring the issue to more people.

As for more protection, what can we do only report these despicable companies who thrive on the vulnerable to the powers that be.
    Someone must come up with an answer and soon because the MOJ are fully aware of the goings on and still let these companies operate.

Comment

Great to see Martin highlighting this dreadful issue.....but this is the tip of the iceberg sadly....it's not just dementia.

My sister used to care for an unemployed lad with severe learning difficulties, he was called by his OWN bank whilst he was living in supported accommodation and sold PPI....to protect him if he ever lost his job........

Disgusting behaviour all round.
      "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Thank you for posting this up enaid.

And yes I agree Cel.

Luckily dad who had this condition had us to help, he used to pick up the phone to cold callers and they did try taking advantage of him.

And my son with special needs, although he is a bright lad, he is very vulnerable which is why I am his appointee, he would otherwise go along and agree to everything.

Comment

This is a subject that is very close to my heart.

It is 7 years to the day since I buried my husband, and I am still fighting to try and achieve some form of justice for the exploitation that he, and his dependant family suffered.

The system does not seem willing or able to recognise that in many cases people lacking capaciity, and without funds, do not have access to the civil justice system.
          A person who has capacity, but who is without funds may commence proceedings against a wrongdoer as a Litigant in Person, whereas a person lacking capacity may only bring proceedings through a litigation friend.

A litigation friend must meet 3 criteria, 1 of which is to give an undertaking to costs, yet I have yet to find anyone willing to give such an undertaking unless large upfront costs are paid to review the merits of the case. Even the Official Solicitor to the Supreme Court (with its huge database of contacts) could not find any lawyer willing to act as a litigation friend due to funding concerns.

If the person lacking capacity has had their estate "wiped out" by the wrongdoer, then put simply they are stuffed.

The UK does not have an effective remedy in place to ensure that the mentally disabled can exercise their right under article 6 HRA.

Comment

Cyn have you thought about the European Court of Human Rights I don't know if they deal with cases such as yours to be honest, I do know they have a lot of clout though.

Comment

This is a terrible case in point Salesman allowed dying man to sign away £500,000 on a pension that would never pay out | This is Money

Comment

This is a response from the comments, one I whole heartedly agree with too.

This is what happens when there no fear of reprisals.What these thieves in suits need is a jail sentence.

Comment

Enaid

In 2005 Theodora Cristou of a London based Human Rights organisation instigated a case on our bahalf to ECHR, case number 17672/05 refers.

The case was deemed inadmissable, no reasons given, decisions at that stage are made "behind closed doors"

It seems that cases against countries that enjoy cosy relationships with ECHR rarely get off the ground.

Comment

The UK's systems may not be ECHR compliant, this needs a Strasbourg ruling

Comment

I am not meaning to go off topic here, but please can you explain the difference please Springer?

Comment

The UK's system being non- compliant was the basis of case 17672/05.

As it was deemed inadmissable I haven't a clue what could be tried next, any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by CYNthesys View Post
                          The UK's system being non- compliant was the basis of case 17672/05.

As it was deemed inadmissable I haven't a clue what could be tried next, any ideas?

Well I didn't understand about a Litigation Friend, I have found this and I think it explains it very well
                          Acting as litigation friend

Comment

Thanks enaid, that link sums it up well.

Whilst he was alive my application to become my husband's litigation friend was opposed by the Bank and failed. I asked the Court to ask the CoP to review this case with a view to the court appointing a LF.
                            Despite the Court refusing my LF application, they threw the onus back on me and said there was nothing to stop me applying to the CoP myself. I therefore had no option but to personally approach the Official Solicitor. The OS initially agreed to act as LF and instructed a local firm of solicitors to act on my husband's behalf. When these solicitors realised we had no money (the Bank had taken it all), the case originated from a business matter and did not qualify for public funding, they did a runner, and the OF then did a U turn and revoked his decision to act due to funding concerns.

I was my husband's 24/7 carer with 2 school age children, trying to do my best for them all, but was thwarted at each and every stage by the Bank and the system.

Comment

Hope its doesn't look like Im trying to hijack your thread, just trying to point out that the initial article is right in that its just "the tip of the iceberg"
                              Been fighting this for 14 years

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X