• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

harassment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• harassment

Hi there not sure if I have this in the right place need advice

My daughter (23) is being harassed and threatned with violence,we called the police and made a statement on Monday, last night things escalated a bit, she was working on her own in shop,she was cashing up at end of night when she happened to look out of window noticed the person that has been threatning her approching shop with 2 others, she managed to get into the back of the shop and lock herself in, and called police.Now she is scared thet if she carries on it will get worse,My opinion is that she has to do something as this is not the first time.

Any advice ? not sure what to do
    Member of the Beagles £2 coin and small change savers clubs, both based in the Debt Forum:11:

Re: harassment

Apart from explaining the seriousness of the situation to the police, i dont know what you could do?

Hopefully someone bigger and cleverer than me will come along shortly with some good advice ;-)

Comment

Hi Scottishlass,

How sad for your daughter and yourself. I would first advise her to carry a personal alarm, most police stations will give these free to people who feel that they may become victims. I would also ask for the shopkeeper to install a panic alarm, if its a big chain of shops they might link it to the police station. I don't know if pepper stray is legal but my daughter who works as a nurse on nights carries hers as a deterrant, she feels safer.

Best wishes,
      Hod..Liam...
      Borrow money from a pessimist -- they don't expect it back.

Comment

I'd definately be ringing the police, MAKE them take note, it's obviously a pretty bad situation she's in, espeically as the people in question obviously know where she works etc. If it was just online I'd tell her to ignore them, but there is a real question mark over her safety.

Police station, make them sort it out, and refuse to leave until they agree to do something.

Comment

Stevo is right, report all of this to the local coppers, give names of her attackers, dates of events etc etc.
          She should also tell her boss about it and ask him/her to ensure that she is never left alone at work again.
          If the police don't seem to do much about it, ask to be referred higher up, CID, even try to get hold of the Chief Superintendant, they have a duty of care and you could remind them of that.
          Take the names and numbers of all the coppers you speak to and let them know that you are keeping tabs on what they do and when they do it, that might work they could become fearful themselves that you could possibly expose any inability on their part.

sapphire

Comment

Hi, does she know these people? are they after a debt? has she been involved with these people in the past? roughly how old are they?

Alot of questions but it can make a difference on the type of action she could take.

Comment

Hi SL

Can I just break this down to make it clearer

Monday Night she was Threatened with violence
              • Was this verbal, Physical or Both?
              • What did the police say?
              • Do you know if they were going to investigate or not
              • Have you got a Crime ref number, if not I will let you know how to get it
              Wednesday Night
              • Do you know if any threats and any attempts were made, ie trying to get into shop?
              • What did the Police say?

OK, if these have been reported there will be a Police log of the incidents.
              Were these reports made by the nines or to the local station.
              Was it the same officers at each incident.

Unfortunatley I know that they will say 'Unless they actually harm you there is a nothing they can do'
              At present I would log every incident, and call 999 every instance, as this will help build a case, and it WILL be flagged on the systems that there is a problem.

Now she is scared thet if she carries on it will get worse
              What do you mean by this statement 'If she carries on'

Hopefully I can help you some more with a bit more info.

PKea

Comment

Thanks for all the advice much appreciated honest.

This lot are already know to the local police,but everyone is so scared of them they keep getting away with it, no one will testify against them. They are women ( I do use that very loosely) they vary in age between 28-45. The one doing all the threats is on bail at the moment, schocking!!
                Member of the Beagles £2 coin and small change savers clubs, both based in the Debt Forum:11:

Comment

Hi, does she know these people? are they after a debt? has she been involved with these people in the past? roughly how old are they?

Yes one used to be a friend, ages between 27- 45 disgusting isn't it

Monday Night she was Threatened with violence
                  • Was this verbal, Physical or Both? Verbal
                  • What did the police say? took statement basically
                  • Do you know if they were going to investigate or not yes
                  • Have you got a Crime ref number, if not I will let you know how to get it Yes got one
                  Wednesday Night
                  • Do you know if any threats and any attempts were made, ie trying to get into shop? they were in the shop
                  • What did the Police say? they went on about them not having done anything,to which my daughter replied do I have to wait until the half kill me first
                  OK, if these have been reported there will be a Police log of the incidents.
                  Were these reports made by the nines or to the local station.
                  Was it the same officers at each incident. different stations have just this minute taken a call from our local station they are dealing with it now they are waiting for the report from the other station about last night he was saying that they they will have to wait for the report before they can actually charge them as they are unsure what they could charge them with at the moment, my daughter is going to the station tonight with all the emails she has received.

Unfortunatley I know that they will say 'Unless they actually harm you there is a nothing they can do'
                  At present I would log every incident, and call 999 every instance, as this will help build a case, and it WILL be flagged on the systems that there is a problem.OK, if these have been reported there will be a Police log of the incidents.
                  Were these reports made by the nines or to the local station.first call local last night 999
                  Was it the same officers at each incident.no officers at first incident just phone statement taken

At present I would log every incident, and call 999 every instance, as this will help build a case, and it WILL be flagged on the systems that there is a problem.

Quote:
                  What do you mean by this statement 'If she carries on' carries on with charging her,she thinks it might make things worse

Comment

Ok,
                    I have gotta go feed the family, but i will post some more info tonight for you.
                    Though it sounds like it is starting to go in the right direction.

PKea

Comment

Originally posted by scottishlass View Post

Quote:
                      What do you mean by this statement 'If she carries on' carries on with charging her,she thinks it might make things worse

Just out of interest, you say one of them is on bail. Is this for an incident that involved your daughter previously?

Just wondered whether they are trying to get there own back

Comment

No to do with someone else she also up for police assault.

Comment

Daughter at work again tonight,she is determined not to let them spoil anymore of her life,I just can't settle until she is home and the door locked she is being kept an eye on, all her work mates are taking it in turn to be in the shop with her so she is not alone.

I will need something for my nerves shortly. I forgot to ask her about the panic alarm I am sure they must have one.

Comment

For now, always call 999, forget the local station.
                            If it goes to 999 it will be a priority, rather than the local station that will added to their job list.

If they are well known for trouble, it is very likely that the Police will want someone like your daughter to stand up and make a complaint.

I know it can be very hard to take a stand against fear of reprisals etc, but its the old Bully story, they will continue until someone does something.

Just make sure that EVERY instance is reported in some form regardless of how minor.
                            Shouting a name across the street to her, It all adds to the case and evidence.

at present it does sound like they could only charge with harassment.
                            You have stated that someone will be in the shop with her, It would be good it they could make statements as well if anything happens, the more witnesses the better.

Hope this helps, and keep posting updates or any other questions or fears you may have

PKea

Comment

Thanks PKea,

Yes the police officer I spoke to tonight was very nice and understanding he said if any of us feel in the least bit threatened then just ring 999, I am a witness, to the phone calls and because she spoke to me as well on the phone.

Thanks for all the info,it helps just to get it off your chest.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X