• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Freezing the assets of an estate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freezing the assets of an estate

Hi
    I recently posted on the Lloyds TSB page about cash point cards used on my deceased mother's bank account. Suspecting that something untoward had been going on, I instructed the solicitor appointed to administer the estate to write to those involved to ask them for an explanation of the money withdrawn from the bank account. Their replies have proved to be most :beagle:unsatisfactory.
    As the estate is nearing finalisation, I do not want any distribution of legacies until the matter of her bank account has been resolved. I understand that, as executor, I have the power to freeze the estate, but how long can I do that for?
    Most grateful for all advice, information, etc.
    Tags: None

Re: Freezing the assets of an estate

I believe it is governed by the Limitations Act 1980. You would need to refer to this for time limits on particular issues.

Comment

Thanks very much for this, Labman. A cursory glance at the Act seems to indicate that on matters involving wills and estates, the limit is 12 years, although I will check this out with my solicitor as soon as possible. The sorry saga continues .......!

Comment

I think (note think!) that you will find it changes depending on the issue in question. For example if someone wants to sue the estate, the SoL is shorter as they work on the principle people won't remember the precise detail for more than x years (or in my case x minutes lol!)

Comment

On the other hand, Victorian actions in Chancery could drag on for decades.

q.v. Bleak House - link

Comment

The bank should freeze activity once notified of the death accept if it is a joint account AND if not should only release funds, prior to the granting of probate, for the funeral expenses & inheritance tax

Comment

Thanks, righty - that was taken care of some months ago, although because one of my siblings didn't report my mother's death until 8 days after she had died, and then didn't produce a copy of her will until weeks after, the freezing of the account didn't actually happen until well into May! Absolutely nothing is as it seems in this matter.:tinysmile_hmm_t2:

Comment

Originally posted by Amlodhi View Post
                Thanks, righty - that was taken care of some months ago, although because one of my siblings didn't report my mother's death until 8 days after she had died, and then didn't produce a copy of her will until weeks after, the freezing of the account didn't actually happen until well into May! Absolutely nothing is as it seems in this matter.:tinysmile_hmm_t2:
                To freeze the account they didn't need the Will. If available only the death certificate

Comment

I agree with Righty on this one. They did not need a copy of her will, simply a copy of the death certificate is sufficient for a bank to stop an account. The will can be passed on later. If there are any withdrawals after the initial notification then that is not very good for the bank to be honest.
                  "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
                  (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Sorry for the delay in replying - was called unexpectedly away. Merry Christmas to all, by the way.

I think Righty is correct as well - there is little doubt that Lloyds have been lax on several points in this:
                    1. The bank account should have been frozen on 28 March when my sibling reported our mother's death to them.
                    2. They should have withdrawn our mother's long-held debit card when the two cashpoint cards were issued in June 2009.
                    3. To date, they are still unable to trace how/when/why the two cashpoint cards were issued - in fact they still cannot trace them on their systems.

Lloyds seem to have admitted defeat and have now advised me to ask my solicitor to approach them on a formal basis. I'm not sure whether to be pleased or suspicious at this. The saga continues!

A peaceful and prosperous New Year to all as well!

Comment

On part 2 all cards on the accounts should have been cancelled by the bank which would have prevented any further use. That is, once they had sight of the death certificate.

Comment

To continue this saga at long last, I wrote in my capacity as Executor to the Lloyds TSB Customer Services Centre, Andover, on 7 January to ask for a full explanation on the provenance of the two cash point cards which are causing such concern. To date, I have heard nothing from them. Am I being too hasty in expecting a reply by now, or should I wait a little longer?

Incidentally, does anyone know what LTSB best practice is for replying to letters from the public?

Comment

To continue this saga at long last, I wrote in my capacity as Executor to the Lloyds TSB Customer Services Centre, Andover, on 7 January to ask for a full explanation on the provenance of the two cash point cards which are causing such concern. To date, I have heard nothing from them. Am I being too hasty in expecting a reply by now, or should I wait a little longer?

Incidentally, does anyone know what LTSB best practice is for replying to letters from the public?
                          If I were you I would email the CEO and state this because clearly they should have made a response to you by now

Comment

Originally posted by leclerc View Post
                            If I were you I would email the CEO and state this because clearly they should have made a response to you by now
                            And get your M.P. to write to him as well :beagle:

Comment

Originally posted by leclerc View Post
                              Try this tim.tookey@lloydsbanking.com

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X